• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 07:25:10 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Even longer overdue Flan sprite

Started by Choto, March 12, 2012, 04:18:44 pm

Taichii

just a suggestion for defending.. how bout copy one of the shields from WEP 1 sheet and make it flan like :D
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

CONMAN

That's a nice idea-Taichii.  There is a lot of good progress on this thing, and to think it all started as a single frame!
  • Modding version: PSX

Choto

Quote from: Kagebunji on March 20, 2012, 07:47:35 am
In the other news, the shading you had on back frames bothered me, cause it looked like it was made of squares laying on each other, so I tried to make it more slimy and round. Here is how it came out. I used damage frame for fixes, but I bet you can do the same on other frames too.

Ahh yes! Thank you Kage, this is immensely helpful. I thought they looked a bit wierd but didn't know how exactly to go about fixing them. I'll apply this same style to the rest. TwinHulk actually sent me a similar-looking alternate flan design... is that really Twinees and i didn't realize it? I was thinking it would be cool to use that one as a boss-flan type thing.

As for that idea, I know SecondAdvent has been messing around with graphics data pretty extensively. If we could make that sprite bigger with the graphics data and make the squares adjacent to it unwalkable somehow... we'd effectively have giant multi-panel boss sprites :) However i'm sure it'd take some work making that all function correctly with targeting/movement/jumping... Maybe someday

Kagebunji

Yes, TwinHulk is Twinees, heh. If Second could do that, then this would really be great deal of fun. I already imagine Tortoises....
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Choto

I took a shot at recoloring the front and back frames. I like this one alot more than the old one. I used the "shine" color a little more generously because the game really dims it once its in there. There seems to be some different concepts of a Flan bouncing around. I envisioned this one to be more of a gelatinous constitution rather than a slimy one. I know it kind of clashes with the gooey teeth/saliva idea, but I think i could design it that way and not have it be a noticeable problem. For these reasons Kage, I took away the bottom shiny layer and tried to make it a bit less square, while keeping more of a firm gelatin look.

I also tried applying a style more like twins, but it didn't look too fitting.. at least the way i did it. I didn't really appreciate how awesome that thing is till i tried that either.. the thing is colored damn well.

also, Taichi i may try that, but i'll probably procrastinate that frame till the very end lol

Anyways, what do ya'll think?

Lijj

Looks good.. I think this is darkening only because of the stage it was being tested in? I could be wrong but I think that is all. Were you testing in Aruguay or Sweegy woods? Certain stages darken everything and depending on the weather darken more etc.

Celdia

That casting frame makes him look unsettlingly happy.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Jon

Casting frame looks like he's about to be fed some meat or something. Not bad not bad...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Choto

Posting for opinions.. The other FFT Monsters are a bit fuller with color so i tried to give Flan some more color.. no t sure what i think about them though.

Jon

I noticed something, not too important but details are details, the red around the golden eyes is only one color, maybe mix in that lighter red that you see in the open mouth to give the eyes depth? Like I see you have 2 colors for the eyes themselves, maybe 2 reds to surround them?

GeneralStrife

Yeah, the old eyes were better. if you really like the red around the yellow pupils add another shade. but im loving the body even more now.

Choto

well this is the casting frame, and i made his eyes darken while he casts hoping it would give it a bit of a dynamic. It is a bit flat though.. Once I finalize the body colors i'll try to consolidate colors and organize the palette. I'm just hoping that it doesn't look out of place next to FFT monsters because if the non-uniformity of color. Transparency is kinda hard to pull off lol.

Jon

Hmm, that's an interesting point about transparency. I think in Photoshop you can make like somewhat transparent colors (here a bluish hue) and I wonder if it would work in game. Kinda like a bluish transparent (as in the status effect). Maybe that would make the Flan too see through though...

Lijj

I would have to pick the bottom right.. I think it was either the bottom left or right before but after consideration.. I like the bottom right option most.

Choto

March 29, 2012, 10:54:15 pm #74 Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:15:03 pm by Choto
Hokay, spritesheet updated with a full set of recolored sprites for those frames that I've done so far. Now i have to choose one of the hard things to tackle, walking frames, evade frames, or attack frames. I'm still in the process of recoloring the cube too, i don't want to mess with it too much and mess it up. I'll post the spritesheet here for convenience.

Any ideas for the walking frames? The obvious choices are.... having him opening and closing his mouth.. which may not be enough movement. Or, having his "base" shift around a bit to make it look like he's moving around. Or both. What else could we do though?

3lric

\o/ Gotta love that sexy Flan.

Glad to see how well this is coming together. Cannot wait to see what you do for the attacking frames!

The Damned

(Let me continue my futile efforts to "help" for non-altruistic reasons.)

When it comes to movement, I'd still personally say that modeling after the Morbol/Malboro seems like the good thing to do. As such, the mouth opening and closing seems like the way to go, especially if accompanied with a "subtle" sliding effect as it moved. If it's one or the other thing ultimately, then I'd say to focus on the mouth since that's way more noticeable and thus menacing.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

GeneralStrife

This is gonna be one for the record books. I think a tongue attack would be awesome, like the FFTA flan.

The Damned

(Ugh, FFT:A. I know it seems hypocritical to dislike it still with all the stuff I'm lifting from it, but....)

I know the whole spriting thing is difficult as it is, so this is perhaps unreasonable to ask, but if you do the whole tongue thing, then could you please make it optional, Choto? Some of us don't want something noticeably cartoon-y on the flan or for them to even have tongues, really.

Of course, just like with the cube, I may eat my words when it comes to the final product given your work thus far. However, in this instance, I doubt it.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Choto

hehe sorry GS but the french kiss attack just ain't my style.. in my eyes that's on par with uribo's fart attack.

Thanks for the feedback TheDamned, its actually quite helpful. I'll use the marlboro as a reference for walking frames and see how it comes out. Some things are worth trying to see what happens even if it doesn't wind up being the be-all end-all.