• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 02:56:32 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Kagebunji's sprites- Moving on...

Started by Kagebunji, August 04, 2009, 02:29:37 pm

Kagebunji

Mav's colors are better, but I don't wanna make you sad :P, so which one to choose?!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

jimmyjw88

Haha. Don't worry about it. Mav's is obviously better. ^^
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Kagebunji

Okay, thanks a lot Jimmy, now I can complete her :D Also thanks to you Mav for new colors.

jimmyjw88

Sure, no problem ^^
Glad to help. Here's the final version.

Garnet Mug Final*

EDIT: Nevermind. ^^
My first complete sprite ever and first mug that works xD
One question, mav, where did you get that colour? ^^

Hope you like the portrait Kage and hope its not below your expectation ^^
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

mav

Quote from: "jimmyjw88"One question, mav, where did you get that colour? ^^
From the Bikke portrait--and I think I made it custom for him. Olan's hair was too light and too blue and Teta's was too brown, so I mixed 'em.

jimmyjw88

Wow...That's just great!! I can't really do that. Haha. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help ^^

Jon

To be honest, when I saw those brown little pixels at the strands of her hair, I though "Mav, what the hell are you doing?!" However, when I saw Jim's screenshot of ingame, I saw how awesome this portrait really is. Also, with Mav's portrait, it taught me a valuable lesson: there is still a lot to learn about spriting. Good job Jim/Mav, Garnet will definetly be download by me :)
(One question though: how come no collar on her? Does it screw up the portrait too much? And is there a collar on her sprite poses?)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

mav

It was probably left out due to a color clash. And yeah, the brown pixels look kinda weird, especially when you're zoomed in, but you can find it on a couple portraits here and there. I won't say that I did this one all that well, but I think we'll get used to it. Is the portrait complete though? You may want (but don't need) to revise some of the shading, like on the chin and neck. Your call though, Jimmy.

jimmyjw88

Yeah, those brown pixels look weird when zoomed in but in normal view, it looks great because it helps blend in with the background. For her choker/collar, its kinda clashing but I can give it a try. Yes, this portrait is final, mav. Chin and neck...Hmm..Let's see...

Kagebunji

I'm fine with this version, but iif you wan't to redoo anything, then feel free to do so :)

Knox

I still think Garnets head is more gaunt, and looks a bit thin even in comparison to others.
Maybe the portrait is too far out, and should be closer in somewhat?
  • Modding version: PSX
~Auranhiem

jimmyjw88

Well, I changed a little bit of her neck shadings. My avatar is the latest.
Though it may seems bit thin but it looks good in game because it stretch the width more than height. So, in game, her face looks normal like the others ^^

Smash

Well then, time to refine it.

There's a bunch of blending and AA smoothening attempts on the edges of the face that are outright excessive, especially on the side of the face where the hair is behind.. I'll explain.

On this old sprite of mine, notice the neck on the first image. You're doing exactly this to the borders of the face, and it gives it this ugly blur feel to it.. This is what's called "banding", and in pixel art, it should be avoided most of the time.

Now on the second pair, notice how I eliminated most of the unessesary blurring and came out with a cleaner looking result with just a few -but well placed- pixels.
Remember, theres no rule saying that the edges of the sprite need to have every darker shade of the skin AAed onto it. Just use what's nessesary.
Im willing to bet any FFT portrait is proof of this.

Btw, this is the most common example of banding made by most newcomers, to help explain the term better:

First is, well, not too bad as the second, who makes the eyes bleed (a common sight).. The third is how it's supposed to be done.

Oh and.. Hair might need lighter colors, and a bit of desaturation too.

mav

jimmyjw88

Ah, alright. Thanks a lot Smash ^^
I'll study and understand more on this.

jimmyjw88

I'm not sure if I fixed the banding but any better?

mav

The chin looks much better, but now she looks a little chubbier. I like it though. Good work, so far.

Jon

Perhaps the shading under the left eye is still too dark? Maybe down tone each color under that eye by one (i.e. dark brown to brown, brown to skin color). Don't know if that would make it look better though...and I think leave the mouth as it was...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Smash

Quote from: "Jon"...and I think leave the mouth as it was...

And the chin as pointy as it was, to kill the chubby effect.

jimmyjw88

Ah, alright. Is this any better? ^^