• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 06:57:41 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

DeadManWalking's Sprites: The Adventurer (Female)

Started by DeadManWalking, March 29, 2010, 03:51:13 am

jimmyjw88

May 20, 2010, 01:23:10 am #320 Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:29:49 am by jimmyjw88
Aside from the topic, I have one question for both DeadMan, and Lijj....

How the hell you two work with such great speed?? DeadMan come out one sprite, Lijj come out one, DeadMan come another just not long, same goes for Lijj....

Any tips on this? Or am I slower than everybody else? Lol.

EDIT: Portrait ~ What mav said.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

blade8531

the angle kind of reminds me of a helm from diablo 2.
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/it ... elms.shtml
its the third one down.

DeadManWalking

Mainly the lack of a job, lots of free time, and needing a hobby.

Edit: Also, that shading was me trying to make it look like the sprite =P  Still, I need some kind of reference if you want me to improve it.

Lijj

Great shape on the portrait DMW. Shading looks bad though.
The helmet could use that texture found throughout a lot of the ports. Makes it look antique or something. See Iron Giant for the exact marbling texture I mean.
Edit: Yes, we all need a healthy hobby or two right? I feel like i just got faster after finally finishing the Terra sprite after the first attempt, rather: FAIL. But i space out sometimes or get distracted, so I don't think I'm  that fast. yet
JimmyJW: Use Photoshop and it's keyboard shortcuts{ B= Pen , I= Color Copier , G= Fill In, M = Rectangular Selector Use Shift key (when moving a copy and paste) to keep straight etc.}
  • Modding version: PSX

DeadManWalking

...that just looks like random blotches of color on most of it's helmet, really.

DeadManWalking

Well, here's a random second attempt.  I dunno how much better or worse it looks, though.

[attachment=0:3e2lwkdc]Soldier Portrait.png[/attachment:3e2lwkdc]

mav

Three shades for the entire helmet ain't enough. Right now you have two areas of shine surrounded by blobs.

DeadManWalking

Well, I can get one more shade, but it'll make the eyes look a bit odd.

mav

Before we get to meeting the color limit, take a look at the attachment for an idea of what direction to take this helmet.

Cheetah

Sprite: This might be a little late, but I am really not a fan of the current helmet. He looks like he has a bullet for a head, it is just way too boring.

Portrait: Mav is on the right track for the shading, but I think a spruced up design for the helmet is much needed.

Right now this project is just looking way to much like Smash's Cavalier.
Current Projects:

GeneralStrife

Soldiers Shouldn't Have Epic Fancy Equipment.

jimmyjw88

Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

DeadManWalking

To be honest, I'm with GeneralStrife.  They're not supposed to look ornate and fancy, they're supposed to look easily mass produced and generally 'standard issue.'  If you have an example of something that would fit under that that you'd like, by all means, show it and if I like it I'll change it.

In the meantime, here's one more set of portraits, texture mainly thanks to Mav.  I changed the shape of the helmet back to what it was in my first design, as I didn't like that change mav had.  It made it look kind of conical.

[attachment=0:3mix9p96]Soldier Portrait.png[/attachment:3mix9p96]

mav

Looks better. Of course, I agree with Cheetah and Jimmy, but a complete portrait overall may be too much.

DeadManWalking

As I said, if you have an example of something that looks different but isn't ornate, fancy, or otherwise anything more than mass produced 'standard issue' feel free to put an example, like this one where I just added a stripe.

[attachment=0:2lev0hgk]Soldier Preview 2.png[/attachment:2lev0hgk]

SilvasRuin

The stripe looks weird.  I preferred with without the stripe.

And I really have to agree with making the armor simple for a Squire replacement.  Squires aren't legendary, epic, or fancy so why make their armor create that appearance?

Twinees

Yeah the stripe does look out of place.
Im still having a lot of trouble coping with that different colour on the bad of his boots. I probably wouldnt mind if the colour that is just on the top rim of the boot, like the front and diagonal facings, continued around his boot.
Good luck DMW.
  • Modding version: PSX

DeadManWalking

Yeah, I didn't think it worked out very well, but I just meant it to keep it simple if they wanted an example, pretty much.  Also, I'll see about working that in.  Might work.

Wait... I don't know what classifies as the rim of the boots.  The outline of the bottom front part?

DeadManWalking

Okay, for some idiotic reason the palette editor isn't making previews anymore, just whining that 'Not enough storage is available to process this command'

DeadManWalking

Rebooting helped.  Anyway, I changed the boots on a suggestion from Twinees.

[attachment=0:rx560mj6]Soldier Preview.png[/attachment:rx560mj6]