• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 03:30:09 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

DeadManWalking's Sprites: The Adventurer (Female)

Started by DeadManWalking, March 29, 2010, 03:51:13 am

DeadManWalking

Wait, what's wrong with the legs/boots?  They're essentially untouched from the Squire... (I just copied Vanya's Warrior idea and recolored part of them to be armor color)

mav

There's actually nothing wrong with them, I just find them ugly. It's not something I'd say needs fixing, it's more like me nitpicking unnecessarily. Don't worry about it.

jimmyjw88

I agree with mav. Maybe some other boots? Hmm...Don't know.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

DeadManWalking

I dunno.  But if you have any suggestions, nows the time.  I'm nearly done, I still need to add the extra faces and finish the palettes, but here.

[attachment=0:3ibfnwby]Soldier Preview.png[/attachment:3ibfnwby]

GeneralStrife

The boots aren't BAD...they just aren't good, but thats not your fault. I like the sprite.

DeadManWalking

Any suggestion on what to replace the boots with?

Lijj

I don't mind those boots. They actually look good in the 3rd & last palette. Maybe if the palettes 1 and 4 were anything but the brownish tones you've used.
  • Modding version: PSX

Twinees

I'd really like this sprite to be more unique, i'm a massive fan of the helm, but you can really tell that he has a squires body.
Keep the body and shoulder pads (perhaps, or change to custom/not squire) and change the arms and boots. Good luck DMW.
  • Modding version: PSX

DeadManWalking

Well, it's meant to be a substitute for the squire, similar to Vanya's warrior.  But I'll take a look around...

mav

If you want an armored look, you could use Ch. 1 Ramza's boots or Ch. 2-3 Ramza's boots. If you want traditional boots, you could try Olan's, Gafgarion's, male Thief's. There are tons of options, but they all come with more work.

Kagebunji

Delita's CH2 legs are cool-looking and armored. Helm still resembles Lancer to me, but to fix it, you would need to use completely differenet helm. Arms, you could just use Vanya's warrior sprite arms. Chest is okay I s'pose.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

DeadManWalking

...no it's not, Kage.  Delita's CH2 legs seem meh, and I didn't particularly like Vanya's arms, it's why I didn't use them.  I tried changing the boots to Olan, didn't like the way it looked, they were too large.  The thief's looks a little goofy, too.

DeadManWalking

I've instead tried Lijj's solution, along with finishing the rest of the sprite sheet, I just have to test it in game and fine tune the palettes.  Here it is.

[attachment=0:vntxdfgq]Soldier Preview.png[/attachment:vntxdfgq]

Kagebunji

Legs of Delita CH2 are meh? WTF? You livin in a cave or what? The same about Vanya's Warrior arms.

Well, whatever, looks like you have your opinions, just like I have mine. Whatever.

I quit.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

DeadManWalking

Delita's legs are too skinny and I don't like the outline look Vanya's shoulder pads have.

mav

I think the problem is that not all of us quite understand what you want this sprite to be, DeadMan. I think you should go ahead and continue creating a sprite that you'd like, not necessarily one that would impress us. Just to clarify, I thought you wanted a lightly armored sprite (which is why I suggested Ch. 2 Ramza's boots). See my attachment for what I mean:
[attachment=0:xxo7d9rc]temp.png[/attachment:xxo7d9rc]

DeadManWalking

Nah, I want it to be fairly heavily armored, like I have it now.  The Soldier is the squire replacement and is supposed to lead to the heavy physical classes (I.E. Knight, Dragoon, Guard, etc) the Chemist/Adventurer is the one that leads to the light physical classes (Thief, Archer, Monk, etc)

DeadManWalking

Here's the portrait I've made.

[attachment=0:1lwn0nug]Soldier Portrait.png[/attachment:1lwn0nug]

mav

Helmet shading is really bad. I have no idea where the light source is coming from--you need to keep it consistent with the face. Also, the general shading pattern on it has a very cutout vibe that needs to be fixed.

DeadManWalking

There an example of what would be considered good shading for this helmet?  As I'm... not particularly artistic.