• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 03, 2024, 12:33:27 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

DeadManWalking's Sprites: The Adventurer (Female)

Started by DeadManWalking, March 29, 2010, 03:51:13 am

R999

My first impressions:

• He looks too bulky for a healer. But if you intend him to be a paladin like unit though, then it is fine. Though, I am not sure how would I approach fixing this for myself.
  • His face needs to look more like a generic (the sprite, Not portrait). Compare to a normal Generic Male sprite side by side at 1200% Zoom and work your way from there.
  • You most definitely want to change his shoes or the bottom part of the robe. The White Mage either usually have their shoes hidden, or are colored in brighter warmer colors like Red or Yellow/Orange. Shoes in Black is too much contrast for a White Clothed sprite and makes the sprite look dirty towards the bottom.
  • You need slightly less blue and slightly more red and green on the primary palette colors. Only very very slightly though.
  • Likewise, the red needs to be toned town as well. You have used better colors in the Portrait. Or The 3rd row's choice of red.
  • You might want to try making his hands slightly lighter in color as well. But I am not sure.

Hope this helps!

DeadManWalking

1.  You're... literally the first person to make that complaint.  I just figured it looked like baggy robes.

2.  I tried changing it up a bit.

3. ...what?  His shoes are the same color as his gloves, brown.

4. Er, what?  The white's are pretty much just a lighter version of the regular priests robes.

5.  The reds are exact duplicates...I don't want to make the red darker to keep it as different as I can from that palette.

6.  Same color as the boots...

Lijj

Looks fine;. It's smaller than the original female white mage.
 I like the portrait and the way you got the fabric looking, but in the last three the brightest"white" is too saturated , green trimmed one has greenish tint robe and Purple one has a lighte purple looking robe. The colors for #1 and #3!
  • Modding version: PSX

DeadManWalking

I'll try desaturating them, but they're pretty much exact copies of the priest palette (the whites, at least).

R999

May 16, 2010, 12:38:14 am #284 Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:01:37 am by R999
What? you are directly transferring colors from another palette?... Trust yourself, make good color judgement. The original colors have good color balance, but they have different degrees of shading. Don't believe me? Put your sprite side by side next to the normal priest, see if their colors still look the same, at a glance. They clearly do not, despite using the same colors. Shape Size Space can also influence the visual interpretation of an object. If you are having difficulty in grasping Color Theory, try to turn down the saturation completely (so the sprite is black and white) and then adjust the contrast levels so it looks perfect (as black and white). After you have what you want, and then you can start applying colors. Use the game's other palette colors for Reference and reference only. You have to do some work there~

edit: Remember you only have to adjust the colors very very slightly here. I can do it for you if you want, though I am fairly busy with sprite work myself so you'll need to wait a little.

By the way, having the shoes being the same color as the hands maybe problematic.  I think they might look beter if they were in Red or even White. I would try that.

Lijj

I almost believe it. Maybe the ports just look saturated on my monitor. I noticed the colors for the original white mage are odd. And, right (R999) some builds work with certain colors better. I didn't actually put em side by side.

DeadManWalking

R999: To be honest, the gloves were originally red (with no red trim on the sleeves) and that got complaints of it making the sleeves look too long, which is why I'm hesitant to make the shoes red, in case it'd cause a similar complaint.  I usually do wind up modifying (sometimes heavily) the colors, the red for the primary palette was an exception, though.  I'll work on it, though, again, I'm hesitant to make it darker as I want to keep it able to be differentiated between the third palette.

Lijj: Portrait colors I tend to not mod as much (I normally get yelled at to not change them if I do >_>)  But I'll see

Jon

Hmmm, where to begin? I like your effort DeadMan, but I see a few mistakes here and there that the others already mentioned. Imo the shoes are fine how they are, but you may want to change that shadow on the bottom a little (unless you are using the original shadow from Rofel or whoever). The portrait is alright, but it looks too much like a special character rather than a generic, but who cares, maybe it is a special healing unit? If you are aiming on making a Paladin, however, you might want to strap some armor onto him, but that is only if this is supposed to be a Pally. If not, continue how you are going. Good luck :)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

DeadManWalking

It's not a pally, it's supposed to be a white-mage-in-training generic unit, with too-baggy robes.

DeadManWalking

Here's one more preview.

[attachment=0:e2mxiqe0]Healer Preview.png[/attachment:e2mxiqe0]

GeneralStrife

I like it, It's supposed to be a healer class of some kind ?

DeadManWalking

Lijj

Now they look like exactly like the palettes for the white mages. Who can complain about that?
I think they look better less saturated. Look done to me.

SilvasRuin

Why is there still a brown pixel or two on all the palettes for the front crouching frame?

DeadManWalking

DeadManWalking

Quick question.  Aside from the OK, DK, Sam, Lancer, Cavalier and Gafgarion style helms, are there any others?

mav

I think that's all of them, but I'm not sure.

DeadManWalking

Well, I'm not finished working the kinks out of the Healer/Apprentice, but I think I've done enough I can start working on another project too, another starter class, the Soldier.  I probably need to lighten this up, but it's the prototype.

[attachment=0:2bmuc5ad]Soldier Preview.png[/attachment:2bmuc5ad]

SilvasRuin

Ooh, I like.  The shine looks a bit flat on the top part of the helm on the side view though.  Diagonal front gloves might could use a tiny bit more shading too.

mav

I don't like the legs/boots at all. They look a little too bulky--except on the rear diagonal view. And those shades of brown you used don't work on this sprite, for whatever reason. You may even want to recolor the hands to match the face, but that's up to you.