Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen/RetroArch is recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: January 16, 2019, 09:31:49 PM 
Started by silentkaster - Last post by Dol
I'll make a team.  No summoner or mime.

on: January 16, 2019, 05:43:38 PM 
Started by Leonarth - Last post by KyleTheRunner
OMG!
Too much for simple me :lol:
But thanks for the reply!

on: January 16, 2019, 05:26:25 PM 
Started by Leonarth - Last post by Leonarth
I don't have any text editing tools, nor would I know how to make them, I barely have any programming experience and I've never made any kind of GUI, I use Event Assembler for text. As far as I know other people just use a hex editor.

There are many things we don't know about the text system, but you can find some data on it here:
https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Tactics_Advance:Strings

A lot of games use pointers or a text table (also with pointers) to indicate where the text is, this can often be a fairly simple thing. It's not like that in FFTA. Text in FFTA is pretty complicated, it comes in two forms (1 byte per character and 2 bytes per character), I'm unsure if there's compressed text or not, control codes are mostly unknown and the worst part: the text is all over the place.

There is no one text table, there are a lot of them, some kinds of text are split into multiple tables, some use pointers, some use relative offsets, even for someone that knew everything that's going on making a tool to deal with all of it would be a pain.
I only have documentation on 6 of these tables and I've seen many others, I can't understate how complicated it gets.
From what I know every mission has it's own little text table.
On top of that, this is a game with a huge ammount of text.

If you are still interested in trying (using Event Assembler) send me a private message.

on: January 16, 2019, 04:49:22 PM 
Started by Leonarth - Last post by KyleTheRunner
Hello. Thanks for the hard work!
Since you are very experienced in FFTA hacking, could you, please, provide me with text editing tools?
I'm trying to do a full Portuguese translation for this game.
Thanks in advance!

on: January 16, 2019, 02:19:16 PM 
The party images are 32x40, there is nothing to discuss there, just open the game in an emulator, check the sprites used and you will see these are 32x40 (there are actually two sprites, a 32x32 one and a 32x8 one but all the tiles are in the same order we see them so there is nothing to worry about there).
When in doubt just do the same I already did, I did it that way for a reason, the reason being that's just how it is.

Also the battle sprites are not 16x16, or 16x40, there is no fixed dimensions to them as I explained in an earlier post.
Some are 16x40, some are 16x32, some can't even be described as a single rectangle.

Remember to use the correct palette, with the correct order.
The only actual important part is the order but having the right colors will help you see how it's going to look in-game. Checking the images you made I can see they don't have neither the right order or the right colors, please use one of the already existing images as a reference, and be sure to use a tool that can correctly handle palettes and indexed images, like Usenti.

on: January 16, 2019, 01:37:48 PM 
Started by Leonarth - Last post by giado123
Thank for your help! i just have one more questions:
- the party image you created is 32x40, larger than the sprites which is 16x16. So which size should i create for the new party image?

on: January 16, 2019, 07:42:07 AM 
I don't use tile molester, I use EA, just make the images in some image editing tool and insert them with EA... There is no need to mess with the ROM directly at any point doing this. You should NOT be using tile molester, or any other tool that edits the graphics of the ROM.

Look in jobAndRaceCustomization\Graphics, there you will find a folder called party which has the party sprites and a file called Job Party Image Installer.event which inserts them.

Just do the same, put your party images (with the right palette and size) in the folder, include them in Job Party Image Installer.event and put the label in the table at jobAndCharacterPartyTable.event

In case it's not clear, .event files are text files, open them with your text editor.

Even if you found the right location for the portraits and party sprites those are compressed so it wouldn't be of any help to you, on top of that you would still need to change the portrait palette and OAM data anyway. Just use the thing I made, it exists for a reason.

on: January 16, 2019, 03:49:13 AM 
Started by Leonarth - Last post by giado123
Thank! I successfully change the battle sprites by using tile molester. The problem here is i cant find the location of the party sprites and the portrait in rom to change. Can you help me for this? I created 2 new party sprite for samurai and dark knight.

on: January 15, 2019, 03:23:33 PM 
Started by Shadowblade4d4 - Last post by Nax
If you want to buff your characters early on, just use a save editor like Lion Editor.
If playing with PPSSPP, disable save encryption in the settings (go to memstick/PSP/SYSTEM and edit the .ini), load your game, save, rename FFTA.SYS to lioneditor.bin, edit stuff, rename to FFTA.SYS, and copy the save back.

on: January 15, 2019, 03:21:02 PM 
Started by Reddy - Last post by Nax
IIRC the largest obstacle to increasing enemy variety in battles is the sprite cap. You can sort of get around this by editing their abilities. For example, you could have 3 knights in a battle, but one is equipping a bow with aim/charge as their secondary skill set, another is wielding a knight sword with two hands and has throw, and the third is using the good and old sword and shield with white magic. That's usually as good as it gets for variety. And try to avoid using two jobs of different genders as those count as two sprites.

The sprite cap is a PSX thing. There is no sprite cap in WotL.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10