• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 02:01:47 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Developing hacking tools for more games

Started by Pickle Girl Fanboy, February 10, 2011, 05:54:28 pm

Pickle Girl Fanboy

February 10, 2011, 05:54:28 pm Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:57:13 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
The way the Hacking board is laid out now, it needs more stuff.  I have spreadsheets in varying degrees of completeness for the following games, if someone wants to make an editor for them:

SaGa Frontier
Ogre Battle - March of the Black Queen (Mauron and Finshore are working on an editor)
SaGa Frontier 2
Saiyuki: Journey West
Azure Dreams (only has a bit of RAM data)
Tactics Ogre: The Knight Of Lodis (I located part of the class data, but progress on documenting it is frozen for now.  It shouldn't be that hard to finish it, but it will take a lot of time.)

http://www.verve-fanworks.com/SMF/index.php?board=21.0

This is Faustwolf's forum.  You can find the Ogre Battle spreadsheet and Mauron's editor framework if you look around a bit, along with a Dragon Force II translation and some other translations.

http://www.verve-fanworks.com/SMF/

Gnomish

February 11, 2011, 02:20:50 pm #1 Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:21:26 pm by Gnomish
Quote from: Pickle Girl Fanboy on February 10, 2011, 05:54:28 pm
SaGa Frontier

:shock: I kid you not, I just googled "Saga Frontier editor" and closed that window when nothing came up, then I clicked on your thread and saw this! Haha. If I had the technical know-how, I would love to take you up on the spreadsheets offer for that game. Given how open-ended and dense the game is, there would be much room for editing and eventually patching.

Anyway, good luck trying to find someone to take you up on the offer. :)

Celdia

Fun stuff on your wishlist there, PGF. I still need to actually play more than 3 battles in Saiyuki.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Pickle Girl Fanboy

February 12, 2011, 10:37:19 am #3 Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:48:40 am by Pickle Girl Fanboy
I think I'm gonna start on FFXII and Romancing SaGa - Minstrel Song, now that I have PSCX2 working.  I spent last night ripping every one of my PS1 and PS2 games; now I'll go into my post-shave week-long isolation (I have a weak chin and an overbite, so without my precious beard I look like an insane hillbilly), hack some games, and convert my OpenOffice.org spreadsheets to Excel.

Gnomish: You can hack most aspects of items, some aspects of abilities, mystic absorbs, some sprites, and maybe monster stats if I ever figure out how those monster files are set-up.  Just use a hex editor.

SaGa Frontier 2 is just a bunch of RAM offsets that I consolidated for convenience, but I did find part of Initial Character Data.

Almost every aspect of each class is editable in Ogre Battle, along with enemy formations, starting units, recruiting, promotions, recruitable allies and their groups, neutral encounters, shop data, most of item data, and non-event game text.  DWanderer and a bunch of data divers at gamefaqs found all that stuff; I just compiled it into a spreadsheet for my own use and made it public.

Saiyuki - Gameshark codes, item data.  Will eventually find ability data too, and maybe starting stats or unit data.

Azure Dreams is nearly unhackable without asm knowledge.  A shame, it could use a rebalancing.

Tactics Ogre - The Knight Of Lodis.  Major, major find on class data, but the way it's laid out I have to go through it and test every byte by hand.  I can't make assumptions, because I don't know where one class's data stops and another ends.

Ryu

I'm surprised anyone has even considered modding Tactics Ogre with the new PSP remake's awesomeness eclipsing the old version.

I have to admit though, I'd rather hack the old game rather than the new one. Awesomeness notwithstanding.

Eternal

I'd rather see Castlevania: SotN hacked by someone who would actually share what he's done.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

GeneralStrife

Pscx2 Works? Last time I looked it said it didn't work, PGF can you confirm it works?

Eternal

It works. You just need a damn good computer to run it.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kaijyuu

Not really. It runs most games well on my ~$600 computer.

Some of the games with heavy graphics can slow down even the best computers, though.

GeneralStrife

Hmm I've got the 9500GT and AMD Phenom x2 555 3.2 Dual core. 3gb ram xp SP3.

Kaijyuu

My guess would be you could run a good chunk of ps2 games at 50-60 fps.

GeneralStrife

I hope I can play the ace combats. Love those games.

Zozma

hah, saga frontier.

i love that game. ive done some hex editing but only with info i found online.
id love to get my hands on customizing battle sprites tho. lol
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Dokurider

I only got my PSCX2 to run well when I scaled it down drastically.

Zozma

I would enjoy more info on breath of fire 3 myself

Pickle Girl Fanboy

February 21, 2011, 01:28:45 pm #15 Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:29:41 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Zozma, good to see you!  I'm Mir_Vimes over at gamefags, btw.

Quote from: Eternal248 on February 13, 2011, 06:34:34 pm
I'd rather see Castlevania: SotN hacked by someone who would actually share what he's done.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about.  I emailed that guy and he replied by telling me to look at the readme of the hack, which he finally released, but there wasn't anything that told me where item data was in vanilla SOTN.  So he didn't read or understand what I wanted.  Another guy released a map/room editor for the same game (I think).  I'm at a dead end w/ C:SOTN.

I haven't tried PCSX2 with FFXII because I had to rip FFXII on my windows desktop, and I couldn't copy it to a flash drive because the windows copy utility doesn't copy files larger than 4 GB.  Fucking windows.

Quote from: Ryu on February 13, 2011, 12:32:20 am
I'm surprised anyone has even considered modding Tactics Ogre with the new PSP remake's awesomeness eclipsing the old version.

I have to admit though, I'd rather hack the old game rather than the new one. Awesomeness notwithstanding.

I mean the GBA Tactics Ogre game.

Zozma

February 21, 2011, 03:49:15 pm #16 Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:00:24 pm by Zozma
Good to see ya too...

Im actually "Zozma" at gamefaqs too, not to be confused with Zozmasage who i dont really know lol

Id love to see an editor for TO knight of lodis, I always wanted to do thins like make Margret able to learn emblems without glitching etc lol

Pickle Girl Fanboy

February 21, 2011, 05:15:41 pm #17 Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:19:13 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
I can do that for Soldiers and Ninja, but I haven't got to Margaret's NPC-specific Swordmaster.  Yet.

Zozma

margaret was the beatrix of that game i guess lol.but it sux that the npcs cant learn emblems with out freezing the game :(

RandMuadDib

@PGF what format are you running on your windows machine? i've encountered that 4gb problem before, too, but only when i was trying to copy to FAT32 over USB. If you go NTFS it should work.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!