• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 04:36:30 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Tales from Idaho #1: So I poached my first Elk Saturday.

Started by Dokurider, October 21, 2009, 01:25:05 am

Dokurider

October 21, 2009, 01:25:05 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
No, I didn't kill it myself, just defleshed it. I was in Idaho visiting family, when one of my relatives brought us a freshly killed Elk. I didn't skin it or do any of the butchering. The only thing I did was vertically cut the whole thing in half, right through the back bone with an electric handsaw.

First thing I noticed while cutting was that those handsaws are hard on the hands; I had to start taking breaks to ring out my hands, and my hand was tender afterwards. Secondly, I'm a little appalled that electric handsaw we used didn't have a safety on it, and it made me nervous even just handling it. Finally, I was amazed that bees were interested in our butchering, not to mention that they were eating the meat. (!) We had to fend them off all day. It was bad for me in particular because I have a phobia of bees, particularlly if they buzz around my head. It's subsided for me over the years, but they still make me flinch and duck for cover.  

And for all my hard work? Elk meat and a Elk shin bone. Actually, I wanted the shin because I always wanted a bone club and maybe one day, I could cosplay as Marowak. Actually, they gave me the whole leg and I had to remove the shin bone myself; defleshing it, breaking the joints off, hard stuff. I didn't even get off all the joints off; I don't even think I can get if off. It's currently tied to a tree, waiting for the Magpies to remove the last chunks of flesh.

Samuraiblackbelt

October 21, 2009, 02:16:02 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
I poached myself a squirrel before, I skinned it and everything

my dad owns a construction company, do you have any idea how many tools ACTUALLY have safeties on them?

one other thing, I've skinned a deer before, and I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to cut it in half with a saw
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Kaijyuu

October 21, 2009, 02:29:22 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Ewwww....

Idaho.
  • Modding version: PSX

philsov

October 21, 2009, 09:30:45 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Poach?

Hunting license during legal season or GTFO.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

DarthPaul

October 21, 2009, 09:59:36 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quoteand I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to cut it in half with a saw

Smoking reasons. You take sections of the animal and put it in a wooden smoke house. My paternal relatives do it.

QuoteHunting license during legal season or GTFO.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as Elk isn't exactly the most poached animal in the U.S., also isn't it Elk season right now anyway? Wouldn't poach be the wrong word.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Archael

October 21, 2009, 12:37:49 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
cool man

what became available in the fur shop ?

Mental_Gear

October 21, 2009, 12:40:27 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Quote from: "Voldemort"cool man

Dome

October 21, 2009, 01:01:08 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dome
Well done!
Today an elk, one day a rhinoceros!

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Samuraiblackbelt

October 21, 2009, 04:04:47 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
I actually poached my squirrel
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Dokurider

October 22, 2009, 02:41:57 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
Quote from: "Voldemort"cool man

Common Item: Leather Clothes
Rare Item: Moccasins

Unfortunately, I didn't get enough JP to learn Secret Hunt...

Quote from: "Kaijyuu"Ewwww....

Idaho.

Exactly how I feel. And I think I might need to stay here even longer now. God damn it.