• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 05, 2024, 06:59:40 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Mercenaries Job Sprite Ideas (update: soon)(Image Heavy)

Started by MiKeMiTchi, August 07, 2009, 05:50:42 am

Cheetah

Those black pixels between the bottom of the head and the collar really aren't working. They should either be the darkest hair tone or the darkest white. That way it will look like it is continuous and goes around his neck versus being disconnected. On the hands, be mindful of what colors you are using. Especially the darkest tone, it is essentially black and gives the hands an outline, use a darker skin tone instead.
Current Projects:

mav

The outline on the hands is negligible, in my opinion, but what Cheetah mentioned about the neck is definitely worth looking at.

Cheetah

Yeah the hand thing isn't very noticable now, but once you have the other animations coming into play I think it is going to look very odd with black pixels in the middle of the hands and such.

Oh but it does look like you fixed the other neck collar issue.
Current Projects:

jimmyjw88

Wait, so throw away that black pixel? But that black pixel is all over other sprites' hands....
As for the neck/collar, I'll fix that black pixels.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

mav

You could try replacing it with your darkest blue where it covers the cloth, the darkest brown where it's on the skin, and with the outline color (dark gray) everywhere else.

jimmyjw88

Alright, I'll replace that black pixel in the middle with darkest brown. Its funny though, seeing others have black pixel in the middle while mine have dark brown.

Hold on, now the problem that black dot in the middle of the hand or the entire hand?
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

mav

I believe Cheetah was referring to the the outline on the entire hand, but I'm not completely sure.

jimmyjw88

Hmm...but the hands are not outline entirely; just a few. I try refrained from using black outlines too much. If you look at Oracle's arms, there's bit more than what I have though. Also, I can't really replace the black outlines with others, it clash a little bit.

mav

In that case, leave it off till the end--I have a feeling it won't be noticed in game anyways. The main thing is to continue working on this sprite (though remember not to overwork yourself).

jimmyjw88

Alright then ^^
Well, I'll post the Charged and Damaged frame soon. Just need to fix a few things;collar, sleeves, coat.
Though I'm having bit trouble on rear walk collar motion. Female Calculator is too much while Male Calculator is too little; just the front flip. I'll think of something. Thanks mav.

EDIT: Update ~ Rear Walk Frames* (It's looking weird)

Mers

Heya guys, first time poster here. Found this place and was mad excited, FFT has been my favorite game for ages and getting to change it and add stuff has been much more fun then I thought.  I've been reading up on Mercenaries and I really like it so far! So I figured I'd thrown in my two cents on a character! I've seen some mage hunters, and wizard-warriors and even gamblers! Well my favorite classes in FFT for PSX were the Samurai and the Geomancer, strong melee characters with effective, but not over-the-top magic, well, Samurais were over the top, but still!

Anyhow, what I'm proposing is a Warrior who has a sadistic connection to magic and Lucavi. He doesn't cast spells or channel holy or elemental, but rather folds and warps magic to do as he requires. Of course this isn't without consequence. When he breaks magic as he does it erupts, letting out a destructive wave that harms himself and his foes((And friends if caught in the wake!). Thankfully he is trained in this unwise use of magic and takes slightly less damage then what he deals, bu the sacrifice is still great in order to harm others. Depending on the magic attack he uses he can cause damage, status anomalies, or maybe some Drains(On either MP or Speed/PA/MA/Br/Faith), all with blacklash in the same form to an equal or lesser degree. He might have certain skills that let him drain PA/MA/Etc. from friends too, to replenish his stores since we've shown what a GREAT fella he is.

Now, this character type would have a large HP base, with low MP(Because his spells would be either cheap or cost-less), average speed, average PA, and high MA, and zero evade(Maybe even negative, heh!). the idea would be he is a front line troop with acceptable melee damage, but excelles in clusters of units where he can pretty much blow himself up  and drain from his foes before they have a chance to attack, because once hes damage his own HP he is very vulnerable to counter attack!

Now, being a twisted, malevolent advocate of Lucavi and pain has its up sides! Your soul is tainted and you have resistances to certain status anomalies and the Darkness elemental(While being vulnerable to holy elemental!) Of course all this twisting of your soul makes your appearance a bit- well you are worse for the wear...

I canalized the 'Vicks' sprite, so credits to the maker of 'Vicks' this was just to sort of flesh out the idea in my own head.

Thoughts?

VampragonLord

WELCOME TO FINAL FANTASY HACKTICS, WHERE YOUR DREAMS MAY OR MAY NOT COME TRUE DEPENDING ON CIRCUMSTANCE!

sounds.... interesting. but this should go in either the proposal thread under patches, or the spriting section if you plan to make a sprite for it.
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

mav

While the thought is neat, Mers, I agree with Vamp that this should be in a more applicable forum (try this topic out for size). I think LD has most of his jobs, custom jobs, and characters figured out at this point, so I'm not sure how well your warrior would fit in.

Oh and I've tweaked the Scryer portrait some--I took the version on the right from my earlier post and have two versions. Which do you prefer? The one that's on the right on this post is relatively unchanged (except for skin tone), the one on the left had the eyes and eyebrows replaced, as well as a slightly different skin tone.

jimmyjw88

Welcome to FFH, Mers, where all your dreams will eventually come true.

For Scryer portrait, I still kinda prefer the right one but the left one is really good too. I'm not sure which eye impression to choose. Haha. What do you think, mav?

Also, forget the above Scryer's collar crap. I'll try again.

mav

Heheh, if I knew which one I preferred, I wouldn't have had to ask you guys. I kid, of course, but I'd rather know what you guys like than post what I prefer. Though on both versions I need to fix those sideburns.

Kokojo

I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

jimmyjw88

Yeah, left does look better. ^^
Alright, I've tried my best on the collar motion but still suck ><
Anyway, here:
Update ~ Rear Walk Collar Motion*

EDIT: Update ~ Charged / Damaged Frame* (took me awhile though)

mav

On the rear-motion frame, the movement looks fine, but you used the middle gray shade just a little too much on the collar (mostly on the first two poses from the left). I see absolutely no problems with the charging and damage frames though. Great stuff as always.

jimmyjw88

January 25, 2010, 05:45:28 am #1138 Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:08:56 pm by jimmyjw88
Update* Game test

EDIT: Removed

mav

Not bad, not bad. Were you able to figure out the collar situation yet?