• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:43:50 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Questions involving FFTP (Move if necessary)

Started by Zolias, December 08, 2015, 06:15:22 pm

Zolias

I'm using FFTP to make a project idea I've been working on and off with for a while now.  I have a few questions about class setting, renaming, and removing, as well as a support ability I found.

I wanted to make a new class (Paragon, learns a few enemy spells along with spells in the main magic lines).  How can I go about setting this to replace squire, so I can make it her main class using FFTP, and can I do so by replacing a Mime or Arithmatist to make the class, or must I replace one of the other changeable classes?

Support Ability CT 0: Does that make all spells cast immediately?

I'm using WotL as a base, despite the criticism from others... I at least want to try.  If it doesn't work out, I'll use the PSX version (and figure for the life of me how to add Fellswords and the Minerva Bustier)

Jumza

Quote from: Zolias on December 08, 2015, 06:15:22 pm
I wanted to make a new class (Paragon, learns a few enemy spells along with spells in the main magic lines).  How can I go about setting this to replace squire, so I can make it her main class using FFTP, and can I do so by replacing a Mime or Arithmatist to make the class, or must I replace one of the other changeable classes?

Replace any unique job to have it replace squire and have that sprite always be set for that character. Really anything other than a monster or a generic job.

Support Ability CT 0: Does that make all spells cast immediately?

I believe so. Idk how it interacts with, say, Songs or Dances though (if it does at all).

I'm using WotL as a base, despite the criticism from others... I at least want to try.  If it doesn't work out, I'll use the PSX version (and figure for the life of me how to add Fellswords and the Minerva Bustier)

Ughhhhhh. I'm pretty sure that you're planning a total re-haul of the game, right? At least start on the right foot man, a lot of the stuff you will 100% never be able to do on the PSP because the people who know how to hack the PSX version will never set foot into the WOTL code. Sorry :( As for unique items, that could be done quite easily if you didn't mind Fell Swords being in the same category as something like Knight Swords, and the Minerva Bustier is just Armour (right?), so that's not hard. If you wanted new weapon classifications, then you might need to do some extra work.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

Quote from: Jumza on December 08, 2015, 06:22:38 pm
Ughhhhhh. I'm pretty sure that you're planning a total re-haul of the game, right? At least start on the right foot man, a lot of the stuff you will 100% never be able to do on the PSP because the people who know how to hack the PSX version will never set foot into the WOTL code. Sorry.

This ^

We always promote -trying- things. However, a lot of the stuff you want to do simply won't be possible in WotL. FFTP is the easy stuff, compared to the stuff we do here, it's elementary school level. The rest of the stuff you want to do, simply cannot be done with WotL unless you are an ASMer. None of which bother with WotL. You mentioned not knowing Hex, but even Hex is childsplay compared to ASM. (Just thought I'd throw that out there) Good Luck.

Zolias

I see... it's a shame, since some of the abilities my MC gets follow under the Dark Knight class...  If there was a way to rip them from WotL to the PSX version, maybe... otherwise, I'm just gonna be sad :c

Jumza

Well let's see!

Sanguine Sword: It's in PSX, it's just in Gaffy's skillset. So is...

Infernal Strike: Yup. Gaffy again.

Crushing Blow: Easy-Peasy to make. Seriously.

Abyssal Blade: The cone AOE on this one could be a little more difficult to replicate, Dokurider made and ASM to replicate this effect, but I'm not sure it ever was released 100% bug free.

Unholy Sacrifice: Another one that should be easy to make.

I mean, if you open up the FFTP, you'll see that creating abilities such as these are a piece of cake! Of course, if you have any questions, just ask!
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Zolias

Quote from: Jumza on December 08, 2015, 09:31:46 pm
Well let's see!

Sanguine Sword: It's in PSX, it's just in Gaffy's skillset. So is...

Infernal Strike: Yup. Gaffy again.

Crushing Blow: Easy-Peasy to make. Seriously.

Abyssal Blade: The cone AOE on this one could be a little more difficult to replicate, Dokurider made and ASM to replicate this effect, but I'm not sure it ever was released 100% bug free.

Unholy Sacrifice: Another one that should be easy to make.

I mean, if you open up the FFTP, you'll see that creating abilities such as these are a piece of cake! Of course, if you have any questions, just ask!

I see... thanks.  I'll be sure to ask around if I can think of anything, and maybe in the end I will switch to the PSX version.

theultrawolf

The PSX version unfortunately for most is just better to mod. I started with trying to mod WoTL, and while I was able to do some of the things I could do on PSX (Mainly add new characters/abilities, somewhat change events though they have different pointers), if you're looking to make any serious patch, WoTL is just not viable in any way.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Angel

The gulf between what is possible on FFT vs WotL is as deep as the gulf between modding PSX FFVII and PC FFVII. No lie. Every time I see someone wanting to mod WotL, I scream. It's not because of personal opinions on WotL (which are poor, I won't mince words), it's because you are seriously just making us claw our faces off. You will ask questions that won't get answered. You will ask for things that are impossible to do. It is infuriating. Stop trying to mod WotL when you can accomplish more, easier, and with more help on FFT. Goddammit.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Zolias

Quote from: Toshiko on December 09, 2015, 06:42:51 am
The gulf between what is possible on FFT vs WotL is as deep as the gulf between modding PSX FFVII and PC FFVII. No lie. Every time I see someone wanting to mod WotL, I scream. It's not because of personal opinions on WotL (which are poor, I won't mince words), it's because you are seriously just making us claw our faces off. You will ask questions that won't get answered. You will ask for things that are impossible to do. It is infuriating. Stop trying to mod WotL when you can accomplish more, easier, and with more help on FFT. Goddammit.

I can see where you're coming from, but as a newcomer myself, you should also understand that not everyone is as knowledgeable about hacking games as you guys are.  I didn't know that limitations are a pain in the ass there, so obviously, I wouldn't even know the difference about the two games at all, except for the fact that PSP just ran slower normally when spells are unleashed.

Still, I get it now, and knowing what I do now, I'll most likely change up my plan to make it into the PSX version. 

Jumza

Zolias

I have a few more questions involving the PSX base of FFTP: How do I change the names of skills?  (Basically turn X 2 into -ra spells and X 3 into -ga spells?  Same for X 4 into -ja spells)

theultrawolf

Use the latest version of FFTacText. The version .483 bundle comes with FFTPatcher, FFTacText, FFTorgASM, and ShiShi Sprite Editor. Unfortunately, unless you edit the executable for FFTPatcher, the ability names won't change to reflect the TacText changes, but it's not really important; you just have to remember which abilities correspond to what. Usually when I'm doing edits, I'll keep TacText and Patcher open at the same time for reference. Another boon for the PSX - the QuickEdit (only use this unless you want a lot of confusion) is much more comprehensive than for the PSP version. When editing WoTL, it was irritating to have to search endlessly through the various text files to do edits.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Jumza

Editing the names that appear in all the programs packaged with FFTP is very easy actually. Go to one of the tabs on the top of FFTP, click 'Generate Resources.Zip', it will create a file in that directory called Resources.zip, open it up and you will see it is full of folders and XML files. Go into the PSX section and edit those XML files to reflect the changes you make! Just know that these changes are for the programs, to change in game text you need to use FFTacText!

3lric

Unless the new version of FFTP doesn't come with it for some reason, that isn't even necessary. Resources.zip should be in the fftp folder by default. Just open it and edit what you want to see changed in the fftp text. Hit save and accept changes (there have been issues doing this with 7zip. For best results use winrar)

Zolias

Quote from: Jumza on December 09, 2015, 06:18:27 pm
Editing the names that appear in all the programs packaged with FFTP is very easy actually. Go to one of the tabs on the top of FFTP, click 'Generate Resources.Zip', it will create a file in that directory called Resources.zip, open it up and you will see it is full of folders and XML files. Go into the PSX section and edit those XML files to reflect the changes you make! Just know that these changes are for the programs, to change in game text you need to use FFTacText!

I see... I guess I'm gonna need FFTacText and figure out how to use that, as well...   one more question for now: Will anyone useful in spriting be able to edit a spritesheet for me, or maybe someone tell me where I can ask about that?  I have a spritesheet that's mostly right, except for the head.  Wanted either a custom head with short brown hair (similar to Ramza's hair, but flatter with a red headband) or a generic Monk head attached to it.

Jumza

Spriters are far and few between these days. Your best bet would be making a frankensprite of what you want (that sprites body +monks head, you can ask some others that have experience with that like theultrawolf if you don't know where to start) or just being happy with what you have.

Also there is very little figuring to do with tactext, which is awesome. It's a very user friendly program, just make sure you use quick edit.

Zolias

December 18, 2015, 12:14:04 am #16 Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:30:32 pm by Zolias
Quote from: theultrawolf on December 09, 2015, 06:09:02 pm
Use the latest version of FFTacText. The version .483 bundle comes with FFTPatcher, FFTacText, FFTorgASM, and ShiShi Sprite Editor. Unfortunately, unless you edit the executable for FFTPatcher, the ability names won't change to reflect the TacText changes, but it's not really important; you just have to remember which abilities correspond to what. Usually when I'm doing edits, I'll keep TacText and Patcher open at the same time for reference. Another boon for the PSX - the QuickEdit (only use this unless you want a lot of confusion) is much more comprehensive than for the PSP version. When editing WoTL, it was irritating to have to search endlessly through the various text files to do edits.

Honestly, I was just going to change the names to the WotL version, such as Fira(ga/ja), Thundara/ga/ja, etc. and Gain JP UP to JP Boost and Move JP UP to Accrue JP, for example.

Also, Jumza, there's no way I could be happy with the spritesheet (you'd understand if you saw it...).  So yeah, I'll try to figure something out.  Already got the Monsters done (except for the custom monster... thinking a custom Ultima Demon would be great as a main character lol), and the classes I wanted (still need to do the custom monster and also may need an ASM Hack for the Paragon so it can use all magic like Jot5's Ganondorf, which I replaced Princess for Paragon, since she won't be in my story... MC will be on a different mission somewhere in the desert during that 'fun part' in Ch. 2 at the waterfall and will also never encounter Delita, as well... maybe except in Ch. 4 or something towards the end of the game... could be a boss, if people like Delita or something).  I'll have to take away the random Ramza encounters for random battles idea I had, since it seems like it'd be a bit too difficult to impliment, especially keeping his class the same version to the current chapter (my story goes alongside Ramza's, if you couldn't tell).  Also got SOME of the treasures I wanted, and may need ASM Hacks to get the rest good.  I'll update my post under ideas with this info, and once I get more done... I'll make a project post.  Basically like 5-10% donewith the project outside of the testing phase (I think), and about 50-55% done with what I can do on my own.

Zolias