• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 05:21:32 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Battle party limit increase

Started by Ashram, April 04, 2011, 02:38:29 pm

Ashram

Is there anyway to increase the battle party limit in the game?

i would love to know if this is even possible. i hate being stuck to the five party limit.  Even if it was just 1 more up to a six party limit i could have so many different new ways to play.

granted i'v beat the game with just Ramza by himself or 2 party combos, I'd like to try a different approach and have a huge party of weak people on the field. especially in 1.3 as it will change the entire feel and way id play the game.

not only that but my wife sucks at games, and she does try to play vanilla FFT but ends up dieing a ton, id love to help her out and give her more units to play with.

Regardless of difficulty, it would just increase enjoyment levels beyond proportions for me to have that option available.

id love to play a game and not ever reset due to someone dieing, it would be a fun sort of a challenge, play the game and if someone dies, they die, keep going unless it's Ramza of coarse.

so again, any possible way to increase the battle unit limit, i know in the formation screen you can only have so many units, but on the field,  i see no reason to be able to add more, especially that epic 10 monk battle. the game can handle it for sure, how far can we push this, or sadly even at all. i been reading these forums since a couple months that they have been up, and the only 1 thing i Truely wanted in my experience with FFTactics is just more peeps to wage war with.

ps. im guessing due to the lack of information on a Google search that no one ever asks this question or it's just not possible, in which i will just hate life for a sec.

philsov

April 04, 2011, 02:55:31 pm #1 Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:56:45 pm by philsov
The max you can load from formation is 5.  However, you can constantly have controllable guests in every single battle.  They don't even need to be in your formation screen.

Caveats:
1) There is a maximum of 9 sprites per battle.  Different palettes are welcome.  Strongly suggest using classes as guests that are also enemy classes to remedy this
2) The max number of units per map is 16, usually.  On some others it's 12 and no one's gone through map by map to determine which is which.

Input's a pain, but you can stick in additional units (blue team = good guys) at certain coordinates for every fight individually.  Grab FFTPatcher and hit up the ENTD tab.  The storyline fights are in the lower quarter of the list.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Ashram

i'll go ahead and mess with this.

even hacking the code we can't just go in and change every single battles max party number size? if i can, i would do the work.

philsov

nope.

Using the attack.out editor (which modifies party size and initial placement) to include 2 parties with 5 people each still only allows for five units total, and then the battle starts. 

don't know much about the possibility of hacking the code to override this -- it could very well be a RAM issue at which point even code hacking is useless.  If not, then it's just a matter of no one having found it yet.

pokeytax

There isn't an easy fix. AFAIK there are five party spots, two guest/enemy spots, nine enemy spots, sixteen spots total. Changing this would be very involved. Permaguests are the way to go.
  • Modding version: PSX

philsov

April 04, 2011, 08:48:12 pm #5 Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:50:56 pm by philsov
QuoteAFAIK there are five party spots, two guest/enemy spots, nine enemy spots, sixteen spots total

The enemy slots are thankfully more variable.  16 spot total reigns, but past that you can sport all sorts of changes in the ENTD

ezmode screenshot from random testing on my patch for the solo floor of the DD:

Ashram

April 05, 2011, 01:26:53 pm #6 Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:48:47 pm by Ashram
It's simple to add a guest on the Algus fight as there is many open slots. ( of the total 16 i'm reading)
Things i have starting with ** are questions i would like to have answered please.

in the ENTD window what should i have checked.

i see the options, "always present," "control" and "immortal".
immortal i know means doesn't countdown to death.
control means you have control of targets turn.
1)**always preset means ( help ). does this mean that they show up in the formation window??**
2)**Randomly present, i know when a char is being introduced from various battle logs, that the first time algus or any guest character fights with you this is checked. is it needed?? what are the effects of this for what I'm trying to do.

the window to the left has a few things im not sure of also.
Join after event im guessing means they join the party most likely lol.
3)** my question is can i  create a char here with what ever starting job i want, then invite to party so i can have the good classes like holy sword and dark sword ect that i would normally not get without a special char in the normal game? im presuming yes.

4)**on the left window i see load formation, save formation. i see this on guest chars both checked. whats the difference between these?

5)**now i know some battles use the entire 16 person palette, and im guessing i can't have my guests in those battles as a the window doesn't allow me to insert them.

as for creating these guest characters, i notice somewhat important information regarding unit id.
6)**What do i use for unit id, i notice many important people have a specific unit id, and stick with it with oncoming battles. is there certain id's that are avail to use, or do i just slap a random number on, i just don't wanna corrupt other peoples/game-story files later on.
7)**as for palette, X and Y values, what are these, cordinates on the map for x and y i guess but whats palette.

8)**jobs unlocked, i don't know where to begin with this, but im guessing this is a force unlock regardless of lvls in other classes? and the drop down number next to it, is that how many jobs unlocked or how many skills in selected job learned randomly.

9)**last thing on my mind, to make this work i need to insert these guest characters, in battles with guest characters, things won't crash or mess up. say i have gafgaron and algus, with my two guest chars. will this be ok. i think in the battles where situations like this would occur there isn't 16 peeps on the field, but i read of a 2 guest cap.

10)** i gotta edit every single battle including randoms to have these guests included correct, no way to have guests and just never end there stay?

11)** the "party level - random" i guess means the guests levels on his own correct meaning he doesn't scale to party but scales to his own progression!?

12)** the very bottom of the window i see unknown and boxes to select stuff, except it's titles unknown. whats with that, in the mandali plains battle i see delita and algus both have the boxes to the left blank. the top one saying FE, and the far right one saying 48.  any info on that by chance?

philsov

1/2 - Always and randomly present will determine if the unit is always there or not.  Randomly is just that... iirc it provides a dummy blank slot.  So if a unit is randomly occupying a place, there's a 50/50 chance of it being there provided it's flagged random.  If you have two enemies in the same X/Y location, then it's 33/33/33 unit 1/unit 2/nothing etc etc.  If you look at some of the random map battles you'll see a massive list of enemies but most of them are randomly present and several of them occupy the same coordinates.

3 - Correct

4 - Load/save formation will drag that unit from your formation guest list as-is and then save any changes.  Like if you have Delita as a wizard or something, he won't appear as a Squire in battle.

5- not without removing others, no.

6 - afaik, pretty much any unused (I think 84 through FF) ID will suffice.  However, these IDs are used for event instructions so odds are you should be fine with FF

7 - X/Y are certainly the coordinates.  http://ffhacktics.com/maps.php provides a visual guide.  Palette meanwhile is their color scheme.  http://ffhacktics.com/spr.php provides a visual guide.

8 - there isn't a "regardless of other levels".  It'll unlock a single job and anything else up to it (ie, "ninja" will net you JP in sq/kn/ar/geo/mk/th/ln).  The number afterwards is their job level in that class.

9 - Max 9 sprites and 16 units.  Zirekile falls, for example, is your 4 people + Ovelia + Agrias + Delita + Gaffy + enemies (all of whom are 1 single class).  Therefore to include guests you either need to reduce your party size (attack.out editor) or make the guest(s) the same class as the enemies.

10 - Yup :D.  As I see it you have two ways to go about this.  One, you can include a permaguest similar to chapter 1 Delita and constantly load it in battle which allows you to customize the guest... or two, make it a randomly classed and moderately skilled/geared guest who just fights by your side the whole time but never really "travels" with you.

11 - No, that sets their level.  "Party level" = "level equal to the highest level in your formation".  ie, Ramza is level 10, allies are level 6... Party Level is 10.   Party level Random is iirc the function monster eggs have when they hatch.  It's randomized but capped at your highest level. 

12 - AI controls.  Most of the time they're left blank, but you'll see exact routines from time to time like Delita will target Algus at Fort Zeakden, hence the ID correlation, or Rafa running away at her first fight.  Don't know exactly what bytes these mean but there's a thread about it somewhere.  Hope your search-fu is strong.

Ashram

April 05, 2011, 03:01:52 pm #8 Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:08:20 pm by Ashram
9 - Max 9 sprites and 16 units.  Zirekile falls, for example, is your 4 people + Ovelia + Agrias + Delita + Gaffy + enemies (all of whom are 1 single class).  Therefore to include guests you either need to reduce your party size (attack.out editor) or make the guest(s) the same class as the enemies.

1)**couldn't i just dupe the sprites of another char to make the char look the same, yet keep a different class?
and im guessing that 2 guest limit doesn't matter either as long as slots available in the battle.

10 - Yup Happy.  As I see it you have two ways to go about this.  One, you can include a permaguest similar to chapter 1 Delita and constantly load it in battle which allows you to customize the guest... or two, make it a randomly classed and moderately skilled/geared guest who just fights by your side the whole time but never really "travels" with you.

2)**what settings work with making him a perma guest? and battles that have to many people/sprites ill just sub them out.
Example:
Check: load formation / save formation.  
Check: always present/ and i guess check randomly present also?? or just always as i don't think random is needed.
as for leveling, since delita is party-level random, im guessing thats what i want since he only levels from what he does not with what lvl my max character is. what you said before kinda confused me with the party level, but it seems to be inputted in for the guest chars and works the way i want it to, so i guess that should be it, oddly enough. i mean it seems like it should be default to be this as when you use load and save formation it sets what he has been progressing to.

3)**as for changing the color of my troops, say i custom add 2 male squires with a red palette to join my party after a fight. i use these guys for my fighting and level them up to knight. will they keep the new color scheme or lose it when they change job. i know i need to trial and error a ton of stuff as it's a obvious dur when you see it, im just trying to be prepared as im finishing up a different project before i jump on this one.

4)**also is there an option to increase the time it takes /or/ disable the perma death option, if i say want to make the difficulty retarded hard, but without fear of losing your doods.

thank you so much for the help, your the best!

philsov

1) Certainly, you can sprite swap + have a funky palette to help them stand out.

2) If you want them to always be there, toggle always present. Duh.  Don't try and break it by toggling both flags >_<.  If you want a permaguest you'll likely need to dive into the event instructions (see: event decompiler and compiler) to mimic what causes other guests to join within the guest slots (formation ID of 17-20)
2a) I'm pretty sure party level random is overwritten when you load from formation.  That's just the default level setting for any character iirc. 

3) I'm pretty sure they'll lose it when they change jobs.  Maybe even after battle regardless of job change.  I haven't fiddled much with that aspect.

4) Don't think so... guests can be flagged for immortal but your own people will need some sort of protection.  A possibility is to create an accessory that blocks the crystal and treasure status and give it to your people, but the game might just crash when their counter reaches zero.  Past that, no clue.  Pack revival, travel happy imo.

pokeytax

Quote from: philsov on April 05, 2011, 03:43:55 pm
4) Don't think so... guests can be flagged for immortal but your own people will need some sort of protection.  A possibility is to create an accessory that blocks the crystal and treasure status and give it to your people, but the game might just crash when their counter reaches zero.  Past that, no clue.  Pack revival, travel happy imo.

Is the first flag in FFTPatcher for statuses "freeze CT"?

philsov

The Damned

*takes notes since the Wiki still says next to nothing about the ENTD*

Quote from: philsov on April 05, 2011, 03:43:55 pm4) Don't think so... guests can be flagged for immortal but your own people will need some sort of protection.  A possibility is to create an accessory that blocks the crystal and treasure status and give it to your people, but the game might just crash when their counter reaches zero.  Past that, no clue.  Pack revival, travel happy imo.

Having tested this with Skeletons last year, I can safely say that it (probably) won't (in most instances).

It will just go to "unit's turn to crystal/treasure box" repeatedly after the counter reaches 0 and then will skip their turn when they don't get up. So, if anything, it will look kind of ugly, especially if quite a few units are dead, but it shouldn't break the game, even in en masse.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

pokeytax

Quote from: philsov on April 05, 2011, 08:37:16 pm
whatcha cooking?

Well, if Dead doesn't increment CT, then units can't crystallize or itemize, right?

philsov

mmm... indeed.

However wouldn't this also apply to the bad people?

Ashram

thank you again!
is there a guide or instructiosn on how to change the team formation from blue to something else then, cause blue is driving me nutzo.

philsov

The Damned

I have to agree with philsov. What are you talking about, Ashram?

Why is blue "driving [you] nutzo"?
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

MagiusRerecros

The only thing that springs to mind (or, my mind, at least) is that maybe he wants to change which palette is used by which teams. Like how the Hokuten are blue, Nanten are red, Death Corps are green, etc. Maybe he just wants to be green. Or purple. :D
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

Ashram

yeah lol, any guides on how to change your default team color from blue to a different color palette.