• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:40:48 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Takeno's attempt for spriting

Started by Takeno, April 15, 2012, 03:08:53 pm

Takeno

April 15, 2012, 03:08:53 pm Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:37:00 am by Takeno
I wanted to make a sprite that was close to FSN gilgamesh. Tell me what I can improve.

Edit :I wasn't satisfied by the result. I decided to restart a bit. I think this time, it's a bit more like the model.

Cherrie

I would suggest pulling the hair down a pixel or two, right now he looks like he's kind of balding. Aside from that the eyes would fit the in-game style better if they looked the same as the other in game sprites. That's totally up to you of course.

GeneralStrife

hmm, could you post front diagonals? this frame isnt good for first judgement.

Joseph Strife

Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

Taichii

hairs should be yellow, some dark spots should be dark blue..
your close though
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

GeneralStrife

Be careful, you can't fit too much detail into FFT sprites. This guy looks awesome. And he's blond like his armor so pallette will not be impossible. That way dark blue spots if you are going for accuracy should be possible.

Takeno

April 16, 2012, 04:01:51 am #6 Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:27:18 am by Takeno
Thank for the crits! (there are always welcome)

To GeneralStrife: I wanted firstly to discuss about the palette so as to improve the sprite (and then finish it).

To Joseph Strife: yes you guess right

To Taichii: I know about the hair but I tought it would have been a bit "too much" golden yellow. And as GeneralStrife said, since I'm a beginner, I fear that adding to much details will make it worse.

But I'll try to take all of this into consderation.

Another question about

Quote from: Cherrie on April 15, 2012, 05:42:00 pm
I would suggest pulling the hair down a pixel or two, right now he looks like he's kind of balding. Aside from that the eyes would fit the in-game style better if they looked the same as the other in game sprites. That's totally up to you of course.

What do you think about the wide forehead and the red eyes ?

Edit: Here the result :

Edit 2: It seems I got a little problem with the palette (20 colours instead of 16). I'm working on it

Cherrie

More like this, I think.

Takeno

Quote from: Cherrie on April 16, 2012, 06:48:02 am
More like this, I think.

Oh I see. The hair is a bit changed but it's quite good. Thanks Cherrie

You really don't like the red eyes, do you? (I know it seems a bit less FFT-ish but it's more accurate for the character)

Cherrie

It's probably fine if it looks right. They wont stick out much if the coloration isn't dark enough. If you're dead set on the eye thing you could probably do something with the portrait without sacrificing any measure of gestalt in game. I'm glad I could help a little.

Jon

Firstly, I like Cherrie's hair better. If you wanna be like super accurate, maybe use some whites and light blonds in the hair, kinda like Ramza. Secondly, not too important but if you want the eyes red, use either the middle or darkest red, otherwise the eyes stand out too much and look kinda weird. Right under the eyebrow you could for example have the darkest red, and under that the middle red. That probably would work. The way you have it is lightest red for 2 pixels (height), which is kinda awkward. Could you make a front side slanted view? The front slanted and back slanted are the most important...keep it up!
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Takeno

April 16, 2012, 07:50:14 am #11 Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:28:11 am by Takeno
To Jon: Thanks for your advice. I decided to make the eyes 1 pixel height (I made two models (on the left side it's with the middle red and in the right side it's with the darkest red): this give it kind of a mean/angry look. For the hair I got a little problem due to palette limitation (I have 17 colours, so I can't add some more. I must erase one). Thus changing the hair colours will change the armor colours. For the other view, I'll do them when the palette is fixed.

Edit: I give the wrong version sorry

Edit 2: Here the portrait

Cherrie

Joseph Strife

Great job so far man, you're getting closer and closer to it, keep it up.
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

Celdia

That port is spot-on. I assume you left off the earrings on purpose.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Taichii

"Desperation"

Takeno

April 16, 2012, 01:29:27 pm #16 Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 01:47:30 pm by Takeno
To Celdia: The portait is just a mug but it turned out quite well. The earrings were left off because.... I forgot about them (I'm ashamed to said that). But I do think it's better without (I'll still make one with earrings). For the sprite, I still got the palette problem (17 instead of 16 colours) and dunno which can be erase (I try but it made the char weird looking)

To Taichii: Thanks. Now the hair are better (as well as the shading). Only problem is the palette  :(

here the portrait with earrings.

Taichii

as for the palette. use fft existing colors from other sprites....
yellows from delita, blues from agrias and such..
then if you're using graphics gale... go to all frames then color depth and set it to 16 colors..

and for me.. i would prefer gilgamesh to be earring - less

"Desperation"

Takeno

Quote from: Taichii on April 16, 2012, 02:12:23 pm
as for the palette. use fft existing colors from other sprites....
yellows from delita, blues from agrias and such..
then if you're using graphics gale... go to all frames then color depth and set it to 16 colors..

and for me.. i would prefer gilgamesh to be earring - less

To Taichii: For the palette that's what I did: the yellow is from delita armor set, the blue from the knight, the red from another char. I used usenti for the sprite but I still dunno which colour should be erase.

I too prefer gilgamesh without earrings

Celdia

Just a quick and dirty modification to bring it down to 16 colors. I don't think it hurts the overall design too much.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0