• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 05:10:59 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Even longer overdue Flan sprite

Started by Choto, March 12, 2012, 04:18:44 pm

LastingDawn

Doesn't the Evade frame share it's course with the Defend frame?

Would look kind of odd, if the Flan is able to Defend, of course.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Choto

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Keep the evade/defend ideas comin!

Now Flan can pogo stick to higher elevations! The resize kinda sucked, and i still have to see how it looks in game, but this is the only way to simulate a jump i can see.

Celdia

I <3 the pogo/spring flan idea.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

3lric

haha this is awesome, keep it up Choto!

GeneralStrife

10/10, but a gif or something would be the ultimate judge if it works

Choto

March 15, 2012, 07:58:21 pm #25 Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:05:48 pm by Choto
Thanks for the kudos guys, fortunately these are the easy frames.

Dead Flan :( This is version 1, Pride suggested a puddle which I'd like to try sometime down the road..

GeneralStrife

Use marlboro's puddle as a reference. get rid of the tentacle

3lric

Quote from: GeneralStrife on March 15, 2012, 08:16:57 pm
Use marlboro's puddle as a reference. get rid of the tentacle

But the mere fact that the Marlboro already has one kinda kills giving the Flan the same thing.

I personally think the little blue cube is great Choto  :mrgreen:

Choto

March 15, 2012, 09:26:30 pm #28 Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:50:45 pm by Choto
I'm really liking the cube, but i'll try the puddle just for due diligence.. and using the malrboloro's puddle as a reference will definitely be helpful!

OP updated. I messed with the back-facing walking base a bit, it was giving me quite some trouble, but I think it's on its way. We're lookin pretty good with this fellas! The main obstacles are the evade/defend frame (which i have a little idea for), making the walking frames and attack frames (which shouldn't be impossible), and a portrait (which I've never done).

SO. Any portrait volunteers? You know this thing deserves a badass close-up ;)

Edit: Updated evade pose, and damaged pose. Need opinions on these 2 critical poses: the second has flan slumped over a little bit to make him look tired, out of shape, and wounded.

Tea

I like the right one better, for reasons you stated.

Lijj

March 17, 2012, 06:25:03 am #30 Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:59:20 am by Lijj
Quote from: Choto on March 15, 2012, 09:26:30 pm

SO. Any portrait volunteers? You know this thing deserves a badass close-up ;)

I rove fran; it's so sweet n tasty! I'll do it

(Edit: It looks like I may need to make its mouth longer.. I'll do it tomorrow; I'm very sleepy)

Jon

Mmmm I dunno, looks weird somehow, what about the FF IX Flans as a base for a portrait?
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Lijj

Taichii

Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

Celdia

Definitely an interesting port. The coloring on the top of the head there makes it looks like a...hell, I don't know how to describe this. Like a 'wet rock'? It has a very solid appearance with a crumpled texture to it as opposed to looking like a chunk of living JELL-O or jelly. I wish I could put that into words better. It just doesn't look like 'goo' to me, not like how I would picture a flan. I love how the dripping bits across the mouth look, though. Eyes are good too. Just the texture on the top of the head feels wrong.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Tea

It looks like a post-apocalyptic helmet to me.

I took a final fantasy xii flan, worked some ms paint magic (I don't know how it happened) to reduce it to Ljj's colours, and this came out. I don't like the eyes, but I can't sprite.

Kagebunji

March 17, 2012, 11:16:33 am #36 Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:31:38 am by Kagebunji
Lijj, your version is awesome. You just need to add more angle to the eyes, and probably make the colors much brighter, since, sprite is. FFT blues all the way, Rofel should work. Edit:, by saying brighter, I mean the shading, since you do have bright colors.

Sprite should use the puddle for death frame, cube looks flat and in-game it would be even worse.

Edit again, I marked the parts that needs to be brighter, plus I lined by how much you should shorten he mouth for better angle.

Red-where mouth should end
Agua-the part that is too dark
Green- position of the eye
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Durbs

You need an evasion frame? Hmm. Well, maybe think of the phantom brave example:

http://www.spriters-resource.com/psx_ps2/phantombrave/sheet/5079

It bends and contorts its body frequently; maybe have it bend to the left or right like in the 7th (or so) row down?

Jon

You should use the Phantom Brave Slime as a base, indeed. Hell, this lil guy looks pretty awesome. I like the Flan sprite how it is now but it looks still a bit FFTA-like, maybe a totally different approach? And yeah that portrait is giving me the willies. :P

Edit: The Phantom Brave Werewolf looks familiar, Kage.... XD
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Lijj

March 17, 2012, 05:15:45 pm #39 Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:40:25 pm by Lijj
Awesome feedback Celdia and Kage, I posted it  last night late in hopes for just that. I'm glad I pulled off the wet look heheh.. but damn, I think I will have much trouble not making it look stoney. I followed your example Kage so far for the right side of the mouth and extended the other side to match the sprite more.. the eye looks better pushed up too. The dark shading I barely lightened because I'm looking at lucavi portraits here and they all have a hard shadow like that which I really like.
I had it in male chemest's portrait colors when I made it but at the last moment before posting tweaked it because it looked too violet. I will open up Rofel now and play with the palette.
I like the other port too in general just the pixels need refining.. I'll finish up here and attempt to lessen the rockiness and just leave it up here as one option of hopefully more to come.
Edit: Oh and Jon I'll put the gun away now I was just tired and delirious lol
Edit2: I smoothed out the stoniness as much as I could bear and used Rofel's colors (much better in those colors.. what the hell was I on?[tradesman's secret]O:) I am happy with it so here's my option Choto: