• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:51:59 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT Generations

Started by PrinceRoxas, September 16, 2011, 03:12:12 am

PrinceRoxas

Eternal

Erm, can you be more specific?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

PrinceRoxas

Eternal

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

GeneralStrife

this project sounds so fun.

The Damned

(Man, I've really got bump the Embargo thread tonight.)

I'm pretty sure that Eternal meant "can you be more specific about the project", not what you needed help with. No one is going to want to help you if they have no idea what your intended patch is going to be about.

As it stands now, all people have to go on is a name and, as GeneralStrife sarcastically put it, the sound of nothing doesn't exactly sound that fun, especially since I'm sure quite a few people's minds automatically went to that crappy Star Trek movie with the same sub-title instead. Information is needed unless you expect people to be psychic, in which case you should also expect failure.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

The Damned

(Still have to bump that Embargo thread. Damn Excel.)

"Okay" doesn't explain anything still, which is part of why no one has really said anything I'm gathering.

Anyway, as for your Squall query, I would tell you to check the custom sprite section on the front page...but there isn't one there. So you're probably going to have to check through the Spriting sub-forum yourself since I doubt anyone is going to tell you otherwise, at least with no information on why you "need" a Squall sprite to begin with.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

PrinceRoxas

can i ask what did i miss to put in this event, i want to know what did i miss... :(

PrinceRoxas

alright alright....this story like about finding Ramza after years...the main character is Cloud,  they had to find him because he's the one who can recover Ivalice...after all, all the shrine knights were revive back and Algus, except  Izlude....well, i'm not good at explaining after all...

And by the way i am new here...and sory... :(

ChimpMaster

Quote from: PrinceRoxas on September 27, 2011, 04:38:58 am
alright alright....this story like about finding Ramza after years...the main character is Cloud,  they had to find him because he's the one who can recover Ivalice...after all, all the shrine knights were revive back and Algus, except  Izlude....well, i'm not good at explaining after all...

Goodbye

Dome

Making a patch requires a CRAPLOAD of work, expecially if you are going to edit events
I suggest you to read this

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Kalas

I'd honestly consider some heavy revision.

The Damned

(Kalas! You're mine! ...Once I get mIRC working again.)

Damn. I had meant to comment on this after I posted in my own thread (since Dome bumped this right after I had finally updated...thanks, Dome), but I succumbed to oblivion.

Anyway, besides Dome's (mandatory) suggestion, you should also read this: Make Games - Finishing a Game.

Let's get into the issue at hand:

Quote from: PrinceRoxas on September 27, 2011, 04:38:58 am

No need to apologize for being new here if that's what the "sory"  is for. If it's for not being good at explaining, well, "sory" isn't going to help you at all either there, especially if you're touching the story at all. In your case, you're touching it a lot. Hell, you're basically chucking it all out and wanting to start over from scratch--well, technically, after scratch--to make it into what sounds like (just) another game with Cloud at the first forefront, which...is really going to need adequate some explaining that "sory" doesn't do.

(Given that it may seem like I am making fun of you, which I'm not, I feel this is a good place to ask a legitimate question: Is English not your first language? [American] English-speakers are all too-often atrocious in their grammar as it is and the Internet just makes that even worse. So I'm asking both to clarify and because, if it you aren't, there's a good chance that wanting to change over the story so heavily/completely will be even more difficult if it isn't--you won't be the first person around here to not speak English as his/her first language, but considering your new story is going to need a lot of dialogue or exposition written up if you want people to understand what is going on...yeah, that could be a problem.)

Even before all the work that goes into event-editing, touching the story heavily is something that's going to have to be planned out in detail (eventually) and communicated as in details. There's a reason that every completed patch thus far hasn't really touched the story (or, at least, events) for the most part.

So, even if explaining is something you don't feel you're good at presently, to make a (good) patch, you're going to have to get better at it. A lot better.

As such, I will now ask you explain or at least think about some questions with regards to what you posted:

1. Jesus Christ, Super Cloud: Why, in particular, is Cloud to be the main protagonist when he's literally the least connected person to Ivalice? Arguably even Byblos has more of a connection and Byblos literally has no backstory. Why is he even still in Ivalice? Why is he looking for Ramza? (These two could be surprisingly easy to answer.) Why years later? Did he ever even meet with Ramza before the whole Altima (exploding) thing happened? If he did, then how did he lose track of them? Who is the "they" that is helping him look for Ramza?

2. Death is Inexpensive: Who or what revived the Shrine Knights? I could possibly see Rofel & Kletian being revived if I'm being generous, but Vormav's physical body was completely annihilated when Hashmal(um) sacrificed himself for Altima's sake. As such, I'd need a pretty good explanation of how the hell he's back, especially if Altima herself was defeated and didn't have a vessel with which to channel her power. Furthermore, to what end did whoever or whatever revive the Shrine Knights, especially since the organization proper was destroyed when Funeral died and probably dismantled when Delita took over?

3. The Once and Future King: Speaking of Delita, where does he figure into this? How is it that only Ramza can "recover Ivalice" when even Alazlam, the descendant of the man that Delita burned at the stake, does nothing to dispute that Delita was at least an extraordinary ruler? Is the threat that Ivalice faces non-political (again)? And if so, why? Do the "Holy Stones" figure into it again? If so, again, why? If Ramza had collected all of them (since you basically have to do every sidequest except Deep Dungeon to even bring Cloud into Ivalice), then why are they a problem again?

4. Algus: ...Is important/back because...? Speaking of Delita, you realize that Delita would probably have Algus executed on the spot for whatever reason he could make up if he could have Olan burned for heresy years after the end of the game, right? It kind of helps that Algus died forever ago in a rather public place, so he could easily use the excuse he's an undead abomination that needs to be put down quite convincingly. So, yeah, why is Algus back? I mean, who in-game actually even cared that he died? Zalbag & Dycedarg sure as hell didn't and they were basically his direct superiors when he died at Zeakden.

Like I said, those are more things to think about than things that I expect you to get back to me/us in a post ASAP. Make no mistake, though, that most, if not all, of those things do eventually need to be addressed. If you can't answer at least half of those things at least somewhat convincingly, then yes, I would have to agree with Kalas some (heavy) revision is in order.

As far as a Cloud-based patch goes, you're hardly the first person who wants to do one (and I hightly doubt you'll be the last), so the amount of competition doesn't exactly help you either in that respect. You also probably couldn't have picked a worst time to want to do a Cloud-based patch given that Cheetah's rather ambitious FFVII in Ivalice patch has a bunch of people behind it and arguably does everything you want to do (if your story is going to be at all convincing) with far more explanation.

Don't let that deter you, though. However, at the same time, don't be afraid to try to help out there rather than trying to start in on your own patch, which is something of grave enormity. It won't get done merely because you want it to be done.

With all that said, given that no one else has said it yet and I can't recall ever having said it, I figure I might as end on the standard formal greeting around here for once: "Welcome to FFH! Where all your dreams are destroyed come true!"

Kalas

( I'm totally confused and at the same time totally intrigued )

The plot shouldn't feature Algus or Cloud at all.

Celdia

• Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

DarkShade

Quote from: The Damned on September 27, 2011, 10:06:29 pm
4. Algus: ...Is important/back because...? Speaking of Delita, you realize that Delita would probably have Algus executed on the spot for whatever reason he could make up if he could have Olan burned for heresy years after the end of the game, right?

I agree Algus should stay dead, unless you have a really good reason for him coming back to life.
Sprites
  Check out my sprites
  here

RandMuadDib

personally i feel that there -is- no good reason. i'd remove him completely if he wasn't delita's motivation for the rest of the story.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!