• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 12:54:47 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Noob question about using custom sprites

Started by Tsurururu, January 27, 2012, 09:54:38 pm

Tsurururu

Sorry if this has been answered before but I couldn't find any topics describing this problem

I'm trying to use a custom sprite for ch2-3 Ramza, I installed it with Shishi r04, it looks great until Ramza goes into certain positions in events. Like when he kneels in front of the princess in the opening orbonne monastery cutscene.

It reverts to his default sprite but still uses the updated palette (see attached screenshot). Nothing game breaking but it looks kinda weird.

How can I fix this?

Is there a separate sprite for events I need to update as well?

Glain

Yeah, there's a file that has sprites for events within the ISO called EVTCHR.BIN (in the EVENT directory); you'd have to edit that file. There's a JP tool called EvtchrView that I've played around with where you can import/export sprite sheets from that file, but I can't remember where I got it from or if we have it for download here.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

EVTCHR Viewer can be found here:

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=407.0;attach=9555

You would need to find that EVTCHR and edit it.

Alternatively you can edit the event to do a normal kneeling pose there which would be UnitAnim SEQ 24,
since that one EVTCHR (I think it;s the only one) is completely useless being that it is a standard Kneeling/Critical animation
used at many other points in the game and in fact requires no EVTCHR at all

I completely explained how to fix this in this a while back in this thread below:    (9th post down)

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7938.40
  • Modding version: PSX

Durbs

Quote from: Elric42 on January 27, 2012, 10:59:05 pm
Alternatively you can edit the event to do a normal kneeling pose there which would be UnitAnim SEQ 24,
since that one EVTCHR (I think it;s the only one) is completely useless being that it is a standard Kneeling/Critical animation
used at many other points in the game and in fact requires no EVTCHR at all

I completely explained how to fix this in this a while back in this thread below:    (9th post down)

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7938.40

Wow. Square really does program redundantly.

Tsurururu

Thanks for the fast response guys :D

I'm gonna try playing around with it later tonight. Will post results.

Is this pose the only instance where this happens for Ramza or is there a bunch I have to edit?

Taichii

hoho other characters too.. you have to edit them if you want them to look smooth w/o glitches if they belong in events and you changed ttheir sprites. lol XD

example: (i have blacked out the glitched char. e because it's annoying and i haven't edited my evtchar yet XD
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

3lric

Quote from: Tsurururu on January 27, 2012, 11:56:10 pm
Thanks for the fast response guys :D

I'm gonna try playing around with it later tonight. Will post results.

Is this pose the only instance where this happens for Ramza or is there a bunch I have to edit?

Well unfortunately this is not the only time this happens. Anytime he does something out of the norm
(such as turn his head, nod, pull his sword out) these are known as EVTCHR and they (in the simpliest terms)
are essentially drawings frame by frame of an action taking place that wouldn't normally take place in
battle. They are drawn with that Vanilla characters Frame.

In order to take care of all of these you would have to edit each EVTCHR using Ramza to look like the Ramza
that you are using. Or you can edit all of these out of events, which i can't see being alot of fun.

So unfortunatley either way it's not going to be an easy fix. But unless you are planning on this being a Huge
patch that you intend to spend a year or more making I think you should be able to look past it :P

Hope this helps

______________________________________________________________________________________

And @Taichii

Quote from: Taichii on January 28, 2012, 12:00:33 am
hoho other characters too.. you have to edit them if you want them to look smooth w/o glitches if they belong in events and you changed ttheir sprites. lol XD

example: (i have blacked out the glitched char. e because it's annoying and i haven't edited my evtchar yet XD

I have no words for this picture xD. It goes against everything I have learned on this site. But it still made me laugh, so nice job :P

Taichii

brother elric, im almost done w/ chapter one's LOLpatch XD thanks
anyway ..
goodluck for all of us XD
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

3lric

Quote from: Taichii on January 28, 2012, 12:42:25 am
brother elric, im almost done w/ chapter one's LOLpatch XD thanks
anyway ..
goodluck for all of us XD

Lol Really? You should send me your script so I can take a look.  :mrgreen:

Tsurururu

January 28, 2012, 01:32:20 am #10 Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:40:35 am by Tsurururu
Quote from: Elric42 on January 28, 2012, 12:31:15 am
Well unfortunately this is not the only time this happens. Anytime he does something out of the norm
(such as turn his head, nod, pull his sword out) these are known as EVTCHR and they (in the simpliest terms)
are essentially drawings frame by frame of an action taking place that wouldn't normally take place in
battle. They are drawn with that Vanilla characters Frame.

In order to take care of all of these you would have to edit each EVTCHR using Ramza to look like the Ramza
that you are using. Or you can edit all of these out of events, which i can't see being alot of fun.

So unfortunatley either way it's not going to be an easy fix. But unless you are planning on this being a Huge
patch that you intend to spend a year or more making I think you should be able to look past it :P

Hope this helps

Wow. Yeah that looks like a ton of work. :?

I wasn't really planning on making a patch or anything, just playing around with sprites for personal use. I really hate that fugly purple spike default outfit he wears... Oh well, I guess I'll just live with the glitches in the cutscenes for now. Maybe once I'm a lot better at making sprites I'll give it a try. I have the free time but getting into FFT modding seems really overwhelming. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually if I keep at it.

Anyways, I appreciate the help Elric , thanks man :mrgreen:

3lric

Quote from: Tsurururu on January 28, 2012, 01:32:20 am
Wow. Yeah that looks like a ton of work. :?

I wasn't really planning on making a patch or anything, just playing around with sprites for personal use. I really hate that fugly purple spike default outfit he wears... Oh well, I guess I'll just live with the glitches in the cutscenes for now. Maybe once I'm a lot better at making sprites I'll give it a try. I have the free time but getting into FFT modding seems really overwhelming. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually if I keep at it.

Anyways, I appreciate the help Elric , thanks man :mrgreen:

Not a problem, and yes it can be overwhelming at times, but if you only focus on learning 1 thing at a time you should do just fine. That's what the help section is for  :mrgreen: