• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:06:20 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Official Sprite Contest: Heroes From Other Worlds

Started by Celdia, September 22, 2012, 11:53:54 am

Taichii

thank you boss twin :D i will be posting more entries soon after my 2 day cos-vacation is done haha
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

Eternal

I just have to say, I'd love to see that Kain sprite finished. The entries this year are really good. :D
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

theultrawolf

Quote from: Reks on September 28, 2012, 05:09:21 pm
Denam looks more like this:

He does, but that's his second form; like I said, as a Lord. in the later chapters when he saves Kachua/Catiua, and there he seems to be wearing an off white frock of some sort. But the first outfit he wears in the first couple chapters, looks more like a leather outfit with pauldrons and a traveling sash (around his person). And I always figured it was, due to Vice/Vyce wearing pauldrons, so I figured what he (Denim/Denam) was wearing were pauldrons, also, being big and poofy on that particular sprite, whereas the later Denim has shoulders that you can tell are cloth and not armored.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Angel

Quote from: The Shady Nerd on September 27, 2012, 05:39:18 pm
I'm gonna see if my skill is up for this.  Gonna try for Laharl (and thought that even before I saw Toshiko's amazing Etna), so hopefully that goes well.  Looking forward to finally participating in site things!   :)

Gah, that Etna is horrible. I'll start her over from scratch someday.

Have Laharl, Flonne, and Pleinair, as well, in similar states of abandoned due to 'ARGH'. Mostly on the portrait side, but still.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Kagebunji

Quote from: theultrawolf on September 29, 2012, 12:16:37 am
He does, but that's his second form; like I said, as a Lord. in the later chapters when he saves Kachua/Catiua, and there he seems to be wearing an off white frock of some sort. But the first outfit he wears in the first couple chapters, looks more like a leather outfit with pauldrons and a traveling sash (around his person). And I always figured it was, due to Vice/Vyce wearing pauldrons, so I figured what he (Denim/Denam) was wearing were pauldrons, also, being big and poofy on that particular sprite, whereas the later Denim has shoulders that you can tell are cloth and not armored.

You got it wrong man. The pic that is there is his first chapter, not Lord. Here is an image for you where you can see how he looks as a Soldier for the first three chapters, and his Lord version in Chapter 4(a rather big image):

So yeah :v
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Jon

September 29, 2012, 07:36:04 am #25 Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 07:46:03 am by Jon
QuoteI just have to say, I'd love to see that Kain sprite finished. The entries this year are really good.

Thanks Eternal! Let's just say the Kain sprite has a high probability of actually being finished, might add some purple to it too (since the original one has purples)...

On a side note I gotta play that TO game eventually still :mrgreen: I started it and I found it amusing how hard it was! According to that picture, and yeah I know this isn't the version of Denim/Denam you're going for, he has like loose flowing pants and boots, kinda like you see on Cloud, Lijj's male paladin has a strap across his chest, honestly it would be too skinny for this guy but you could make it thicker, and for the upper body MikeMitchi's male Gambler's jacket looks befitting with a color swap. Good luck with him!
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Vanya

September 30, 2012, 09:47:00 pm #26 Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:58:23 pm by Vanya
QuoteStuff about what Denam is supposed to look like.

This is the original art piece for the cover of the SFC game:

This is his sprite blown up and run through a bit of a filter:

Looks to me like they just made his coat Blue.
¯\(°_0)/¯

MiKeMiTchi

September 30, 2012, 10:06:44 pm #27 Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:18:42 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Anyone want to work on Laharl? Created this one 3 years ago. I'm not sure if I want to count this one as a valid submission because of its age. Nevertheless, feel free to improve it!
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Angel

Looks a bit better than mine, actually. I gave him longer hair, but less detail in arms and head. Not at my desktop right now, or I'd share.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Jon

Update, could use some crits/feedback. The teal colors are from like palette whatever from the male Black Mage, the purples are from the DK and the rest is like skin which is quite dark since Kain and Cecil and the others all look so tanned. FF IV makes so much sense, guys wearing full body armor with helmets have tans...anyways, whatcha guys think? On the first page is the original sprite if you want to compare it to that. I feel he can be more light teal, but might look horrible in game. Just in case you don't know just by looking at it, its a male dragoon head and helmet recolored on a male dark knight recolored, then changed a few things like cutting off the dk's helmet and reforming the "hair" to fit to the dragoon's.

Lijj

Nice Kain update, one thing that looks odd is his belt; the dottiness brought by the white pixels- I would just simplify it. The hair just seem too fluffy and high up also.. I don't even think it should be visible from this direction.

Jon

October 05, 2012, 04:21:55 am #31 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:14:08 am by Jon
You're right Lijj, it does make the belt look awkward, do you think both the belt and the shoe strap things should be purple? Then only his hair would be yellows and browns. I can lower the hair a bit, but I think it is somewhat correct since there will be a purple hair tie thing on his back poses which purposely holds his hair out and away, like Zero from Megaman. Thanks for the crits!

Edit: I also just noticed I think for the first time that the original Kain sprite for SNES didn't even have any hair, or fake hair on his helmet. That was DS only, so I'm even thinking about getting rid of it altogether. Gives me more colors to work with, which I don't really need...

DameonLG

Quote from: Choto on September 28, 2012, 05:20:37 pm
K... so I kinda broke the rules. I used the original Rei (Breath of fire 3) sprite as a base for this... resized it... and kinda redrew each section in FFT-style. So if this doesn't count that's fine.. I wanted to submit it anyway for fun ^_^

Note: Big Rei is the original sprite in BoF3, Rei.bmp is my FFT-version.

Iiiiiiiii like it.

Twinees

October 05, 2012, 10:54:28 am #33 Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:06:20 am by Twinees
Jon, you should probably try to go with a different version of Kain rather than the bright teal version on snes. If you think about it, there is probably a good reason why they decided to change his bright colours into darker colours in subsequent versions.

The colours you are using at the moment are really saturated, and could probably be toned down a bit. And man, why are you using the Dark Knight sprite from wotl as a base? :P, that's a nightmare waiting to happen, the creator of those sprites did a pretty bad job of them so its really not wise to use them, try something else.
The helmet doesnt really scream Kain, you gotta make it look like his helm rather than the lancers somehow, whether that be changing the the dragon fins/wings at the back of his helmet or changing the general shape of the helm or both.
Another thing that is happening is overdoing detail. I mainly think that is to do with you using the Dark Knight as a base once again, the Dark Knight is notoriously bad for its over detailing, messiness and terrible palette. And I think that is influencing how you are going about it. However, if you were to look at the newer versions of Kain you would also see a ton of detail, which is why you need to simplify things as Lijj mentioned you should do with the belt. The same thing should really be done over.
The hair at the back... Erm, I think it shouldn't be that visible really, and the colours you are using for the blonde hair are fairlyrety saturated making it look bad, in my opinion.

Well, that is probably what should be done for now. (p.s. you said you wanted crits and here they are :P)

Jon

Yep I wanted crits, I'm really bad at spriting again since I haven't done it for a long time, so head swaps is about as good as its going to get since I suck. What body would be best for Kain?

jimmyjw88

Isn't the Lancer base itself best fit for Kain? Anyway, I don't know what happen to Square Enix spriters (or any other spriters that did this sprite) but Dark Knight is the worst sprite in all of FFT. Never use it as a base...or any base at all. I think anyone of us here could simply whoop out a Dark Knight sprite that is far better than this.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Vanya

While I agree that the Dark Knight sprite based off the FF3ds model sucks as a DK,  it's actually not so bad as a Dragoon base since the Lancer sprite deviates quite a bit from what the traditional look that Kain originated.
¯\(°_0)/¯

jimmyjw88

Well, perhaps just the base form of DK, not the details. In other words, clean up the sprite; simplify the details.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

The only reason I used the DK was because he has actually the closest shaped armor to Kain than anyone else. Not only does the DK have shoulder spikes but also those 2 tail things on his back covering his legs. Honestly that's exactly how Kain looks, I can redo this and try again, which I will.

Kagebunji

October 08, 2012, 01:53:04 pm #39 Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:09:51 am by Celdia
Oh what the hell. I guess I will go with Hawkeye. This guy is the bulkiest, tallest human sprite you will see, solely because he is like that in the original game.

Well, Hawkeye- Fire Emblem 7
Fully custom.