• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 15, 2024, 05:03:35 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Which patch do I want to play? Will I want to play it as is, or customize?

Started by Darkholme, March 23, 2011, 08:00:00 pm

Darkholme

Okay: So first off, there are two reasons I can see someone wanting to play a patch.
1. Oooh! Patch x just got updatd, I like patch X and therefore want to replay it.
2. I'm thinking about replaying FFT anyways, what changes to the game would make it more enjoyable?

I'm firmly in camp 2.

There seem to be a handful of fully playable patches. I'm going to summarize what each one seems to be doing, ask questions about the ones I don't know enough about or am unclear about, and see if I can get some feedback. I'm missing alot of info?

My big question, I guess, is: "What does this patch offer over vanilla FFT?" "Does it have a WotL Version?"

Here are my first impressions, I'm interested in any advice or more information.

FFT 1.3
PSX/PSP: Yes/Yes.
- FFT Insane Hard type + Competitive Multiplayer.
- Thoughts: for some reason chocobos are terrifying and can lower your brave by 60. (Not sure I like that one.)

FFT 1.3 Easytype
PSX/PSP: Yes/Yes.
- FFT Hard type + Competive Multiplayer.
- Still kicks you in the ass for leveling up too much, but less so.

FFT 1.3 with fixed levels.
PSX/PSP: Yes/No.
- Don't make the game kick you in the ass for leveling up, but still makes the game harder than vanilla, and Keep 1.3's rebalanced abilities, gear, and classes.

FFT 1.3 With no Event Edits
- More balanced classes. Same difficulty as the original.

FFT 1.4
- Not sure what the goal is here. Seems like it's supposed to be like easytype, but slightly easier, with a bunch of unrelated changes, not trying to accomplish anything specific.

FFT Rebirth
- Rebalanced classes as the primary focus.
- Each story fight now has a "Boss Unit" who will have a different palette, and slightly better gear/other shit.
- More humans in random battles, and more hard randoms like the one in vanilla that you get swarmed by monks.
- Since I play the PSP copy I dont get the shiny new menu or his script changes; I'd have to rewrite them.

Can I get some better ideas of what the advantages of a given functional patch is over the others? From what I understand about 1.3 hardtype; it wouldn't be so bad if the story battles still had the NPCs with fixed gear.

I like the idea of the boss units in rebirth.
I like what I've seen of the new story fights in 1.3.
As mentioned I play on my PSP; not an emulator, so If the ability text won't be updated in game that's a downside.

Has anyone played both 1.3 and rebirth? Possibly able to comment on the differences in class balancing?
Just looking to get a bit more information at the moment.

heiir

Thanks for posting, I think the Patches are to change the game up a bit, for people who want a challenge or something new other than Vanilla FFT. Nothing like the original though imo :)