• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 10:36:38 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Even longer overdue Flan sprite

Started by Choto, March 12, 2012, 04:18:44 pm

Choto

Lijj you're the man! That's a load off my back...

Kage: I'll try making a puddle one more time, the first time was quite underwhelming.. otherwise I'll try to throw the cube in game and see how flat it looks. I feel like the cube adds a little more character flavor than the puddle. Hopefully i'll get some time in on it tomorrow.

The problem with bending for the evasion frame is that it shares with the defend frame. That's why i was leaning towards the "bomb smirk" concept. We'll see what happens though.

Xifanie

Well Lijj asked me to post my rework attempt so here goes. ;o

• Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Eternal

How about something like this for evading/defending?

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Lijj

Here's an update of the small one based on Xifanie's edit:

Jon

Wait a minute...

Don't Flans have teeth? Portrait would be better with sharp teeth.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Xifanie

March 18, 2012, 11:05:52 am #45 Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:55:29 pm by Xifanie
Many have bone teeth, many other have goo teeth, and others have no teeth at all.

Edit: Choto's sprite seems to have gooey teeth. It would indeed better if they matched.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Choto

March 18, 2012, 02:45:42 pm #46 Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:23:35 pm by Choto
The original design only had goo, no teeth... so i went forward with that. I think the portrait looks great without teeth. I would like it to reflect the sprites "feverish yet happy hunger" look a little more, but not all portraits look just like the sprite anyway.

I was thinking of something like that for the evade frame Et... like a shield or circular wall of goo held up in front of his face... i'll try it down the line but i think it'll be challenging.

Here's a little group of backwards facing frames. They're a little rough as of yet in terms of coloring, but i plan on going back through all the frames and cleaning them once they're all made and before submission. I was having a little trouble with the eyes on these.. much tougher than front-facing.

Also, here's an in-game shot of the cube.. What do you think Kage? The brightest colors are actually dimmed more than I expected in game... maybe I could throw in a little more shine on it.

Edit: Just tried the jumping frame in game, and it works like a charm \o/. Looks a little awkward falling down, but it fits perfectly with the jumping sound

Lijj

I didn't see the things in Flan's mouth on this sprite as teeth but as webs of viscous saliva.
Choto, looking at the screenshot I think the flan's frames are about 3 pixels too high up on the sheet.

Choto

yeah... i just threw the sprite sheet in haphazardly to see how it looks in game really... i'll straighten them up once i do the walking frames since it'll be important then :P thanks though!

Celdia

Quote from: Choto on March 18, 2012, 02:45:42 pm
Also, here's an in-game shot of the cube..

I, for one, welcome our new polyhedral overlords.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

The Damned

(Oh, hey. I wondering earlier this week what had happened to the Flan sprite since I kinda need one. What a coincidence....)

Great work with the spring/coil idea for the jumping action. I honestly didn't think about something as simple as that, though I suppose it doesn't help that I've been able to play any version of the game for more than a year....

Anyway, I rather like the cube "death" despite the fact that I was also leaning towards the puddle sprite ala Malboros for that was mentioned earlier. I guess I'm feeling the geometry of it, which is rather ironic.

Aside from that, yeah, the "teeth" of the flan are pretty much always just either saliva or goo. I can't remember ever seeing any version of Flan with actual calcium-based teeth and I've been doing a fair bit of research on them in the past couple of weeks.

I'd go with the historic "I have a mantle" dodge for Flan that Eternal posted rather than a tongue or the seemingly extreme dodge of that Phantom Brave example. I'd also go with the slumping over for Critical state since the first instance is way too subtle.

However, those are just my preferences (for Embargo), especially since I planned to try my hand at Flan if need be considering it seemed like the easiest sprite between it, Cactuars/Cactoids and other things....

Good luck with this. I'll try to "help" (read: nag the hell out of you).
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Kagebunji

I am still more up for a puddle, cube is just isn't working for me. But it's my personal preference, so if you guys like it soo much, it should stay.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

The Damned

(Oh, hey. My Internet's still up...for now.)

Meh. I'd be up for seeing for how the puddle looks and I also imagine that puddle would be really easy to do (relatively speaking) given the Malboro reference. I was just saying that cube turned out better than I expected in-game, is all. (At least, it does from the angle in picture, though I can't imagine it would change much given its cubic nature.)
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Tea

I just love how silly a floating cube is as the last remains of a blob of goo of undefined form that goos it's way where it wants to go. Also, nothing like it is in the game yet, which means a nice change of all those "iconic body part" monsters.

Jon

Cube and puddle are both totally fine but what about the "run over" dead frames you can see in FFTA? Outta the question?
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

GeneralStrife

He is but a mere pool of his former self :(

3lric

Quote from: GeneralStrife on March 19, 2012, 04:22:17 pm
He is but a mere pool of his former self :(

I'm horrible when it comes to spriting, but that puddle seems to have way to few colors for how the Flan normally looks, or maybe they are just oddly placed in the puddle, i dunno, but something about it doesn't look right.

GeneralStrife

Yeah its not the same color as the flan in this thread. And it looks weird because I got rid of marlboro tentacles hastily.

Kagebunji

Even though Twinees attends Uni, he still managed to do an amazing alternate version of Flan, and sent it to me. I don't think reworking the current progress you have, Choto is a good idea, I just wanted to share the epic version Twinees did.

Kagebunji

In the other news, the shading you had on back frames bothered me, cause it looked like it was made of squares laying on each other, so I tried to make it more slimy and round. Here is how it came out. I used damage frame for fixes, but I bet you can do the same on other frames too.