• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:13:50 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

DESPERATION

Started by Taichii, January 17, 2012, 02:02:12 am

formerdeathcorps

March 21, 2012, 04:59:31 am #500 Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:13:22 am by formerdeathcorps
NOTE: The following is what I feel on the matter.  If other people think differently, feel free to voice your opinions.

...Yeah. Most, if not all, of that could probably be answered with "use your judgment", but before I join anything--if I joined at all--with regards to this, for the most part this would be stuff that I'd like to know about.

You took the words right out of my mouth, but if you insist...

6. Overarching antagonist, obviously.  For example, given Kanth's beliefs, he'll likely try to harm every other player on the field, but he's not the motivation behind the plot.  Thus, I can't have Kanth trigger volcanic eruptions with the blink of an eye, or something equally stupid.

5. Technically, both.

5a. I think Dokurider and Lijj reasonably covered this in combat.  Units past a certain period of expiration cannot be revived and units having taken mutilation levels (entrails falling out, missing limbs) of damage, even if revived/healed by Raise/Cure, cannot live for long (though obviously necromancy is another matter).

4. It obviously depends on your character.  Kanth, for example, would not be able to replace his equips (nor would he really want to).  Someone like Mirthean, on the other hand, could easily replace his gear given his money and connections.  Of course, your reputation and your character's various skills factor in here as well.  You can try raiding corpses, but remember that you can't carry everything.  This isn't an RPG where you have a storage cube that carries 500 weapons or something.

3. So you're summoning something into real life that did not exist before with sheer magical power?  It's your call how you'd want to play it, just as long as it's balanced.  (Personally, I'd go for an "upkeep" for each second the construct remains in place that eventually exhausts your character so you can choose between an army for a few seconds or one construct for half an hour.  The dead construct = mental damage aspect works as well, especially if you need to temper the costs on some of the more broken constructs.)

2. It depends on your character.  Kanth is a boy, and thus, isn't going to know everything Kanth the Sage (his future self) would know.  Ditto with Taichii and Mira.  Just know that there's a sliding scale; in general, the more potential your character has, the less you should start them with high levels of skill (and probably there should exist some level of diminishing returns on learning increasingly more complex stuff).
This also depends on how you see the learning of "skills".  Is it discrete (Level 1/2/3), or is there a continuous progression (honing a craft) between skill to skill?  Do different skills require radically different techniques or are things simply the progression of the same kinds of themes?

2a. Depends on how you play it.  Just as another personal example, I was going to use Syver, Kanth's adopted sister who is a BlueMage/Geo.  In terms of character design, she should have her full set of powers, but what I had fall under Blue Mage and Geomancy was enough to make her nearly invincible so she wasn't chosen.  If Blue Magic is more limited under your circumstance, such a full set could be fully conceivable.  Or, of course, you can make such a player a novice (with great potential).  In either case, manipulate the story however you see fit; just be aware you aren't the only one.

1. Write it however you feel would be the best way for others to understand based on your best judgment of your audience.  If something's unclear, we'll ask you.  However, if you really want to follow FF canon, do recall that Ivalice is only the worlds of FFT/FFTA/FFTA2/FFXII.

1a. There's no reason why you MUST, but generally, most people (furries not included) tend to be better at RPing as humans.  Also, as the default race, humans tend to be far less stereotypical than other FF races (giving you more room to maneuver).  When I last did this RP, I was two mogri brothers, neither of whom were fighters.
As for having the skills of another race on a human?  Considering how human summoners were deleted from FFTA and given only to Veira only for human summoners to exist in FFT, that's probably not a problem unless you're being overpowered.  Plus, the time period of this story is before the extinction of the moogles in Ivalice but after the loss of technology like airships so you can assume that "lost" (relative to Ramza's era) techniques (of any race) should be rare, but not yet extinct.  Please though, no high-tech BS.

1b. Yep.

1c. Like I replied on Question 2, this depends on your character.  Jobs may not be your organizing theme.  To give an example, Corsa (who I also considered for this RP), by virtue of her training with a Coral Sword, has the following:
Stun (on contact with metal, can be used as a counter)
Magnet: Deflect (vs. Iron/steel projectiles only, nearly useless at point blank, effect caps off to a set amount of deflection at long distance--effect is upgradable)
Discharge (Essentially a forced weapon proc)
Lightning Rod (Charged except in thunderstorms, calls lightning from the sky in protective fashion--upgrades to Lightning Stab)
Bolt (Strength is variable, can be charged or instant, though pointing the sword at target focuses power more effectively than her hands--upgrades into Chained Bolt)
Notice, in this setup, the organizing principle is the use of electricity, not a job class.  Personally, I find it more rewarding to create a synergistic skillset rather than one that's just X class + Y class + Z class.  This way, it's easier to see what skills should be learnable (and which ones shouldn't be), making it easier to set limits on power.

1d. No, because this is meant to be more than just scenes of combat.  As thus, if you have a drastically different personality/history/perspective, it doesn't matter that you have the same job/combat role in the "party".  Heck, the two of you may not even be in the same party; stories like this are supposed to allow for PvP as well.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Taichii

Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

Dokurider

Anyways, thanks for reading our RP, Damned. I didn't think anyone outside of whoever was actually playing was reading this. What do you think of it so far?

On another note, my internet at home crapped out, so I'll be absent for a little bit.

Dokurider

Hey I have a suggestion you guys. Whenever we use Talk Skill from now on, encase them <like this>, so we know when you are doing it. That way, you can be sneaky about using it.

Taichii, those people on the pass, you don't think they are the cult, do you?

Speaking of revival, I think that is a very interesting subject in the world of FFT I'd like to explore one of these days. See, I imagine that soldiers are conditioned to revival by being killed over and over again in basic training, so that they can continue fighting just after they have just been brought back. I imagine in basic training, instead of having to give push ups for failing, the drill sargent just kills you. Over and over again, until you're use to dying.

Taichii

XDD i think they are...
remember what they worship? and what fdc's pet is? :D

"Desperation"

Dokurider

Then don't get ahead of yourself. They can't move that fast. You flew there, and they have to travel there piled into chocobo pulled carts like it was the goddamned circus. It's going to take at least a whole day of travel for them to get there. I remember perfectly, like I said, don't get ahead of yourself.

Taichii

LOL doku.. what did i do wrong?

"Desperation"

Dokurider

Quote from: Taichii on March 22, 2012, 12:49:47 pm
LOL doku.. what did i do wrong?

All I'm saying is, it's going to be awhile before the cult arrives. Just sit back and rest for a bit. The only time you've rested since the start was when I knocked you out.

Taichii

alright... im waiting for boss lijj's r ryqo's post :D
i have plenty of time to spend in jail anyways :D XD

"Desperation"

Dokurider

Quote from: The DamnedThat or that they would need such heavy modification as to only be those classes in name only? (Like Dokurider's illusionist, but in reverse.)

Hmm...

*looks up Illusionist on the Final Fantasy Wiki*

*it's just some class that hits everyone on the field*

They didn't even try, man. I understand something approaching a true Illusionist skillset would be difficult to code and implement, but this is just embarrassing. They couldn't have just renamed it? F-

Ryqoshay

Quote from: st4rw4k3r on March 20, 2012, 10:50:48 pm
Thank you. Glad someone stated that >. >

What is wrong with Holy Grail jokes? I mean, honestly, what are you going to do? Bleed on me?

Quote from: formerdeathcorps on March 23, 2012, 02:58:25 am
No human can see the future.

You have no idea how much this makes me want to put a dent in the fourth wall when my character's next battle comes around...
Hurry down the chimney tonight.

Dokurider

Are you all lucky today? Me and st4r's post is actually not that long for once.

I think Clayton should have been madder than he was.

Taichii

my hardrive crashed.. i disassembled the cpu and reassembled it... wew...  its working for now.. but the one i've been editing for an hour ago... its lost ...

but the other one was saved (but i am really disapointed bec, the other one was more awsome-r) :(
well here it is. the other side..

"Desperation"

Ryqoshay

I'm sorry, Dokurider, but I cannot resist:
Next time Clayton needs a date, he can always
Hurry down the chimney tonight.

Taichii

i LOLed XD
REAL HARD XDD
=)))
:wark:

"Desperation"

Taichii

so how's everyone? XD

"Desperation"

Dokurider

Clayton just takes a walk today.

DarkShade

Hey guys I'm on vacation and forgot to tell everyone I left. So I can still post it just I'm on my iPhone so there maybe errors. Also mirth I'll send you my post of what we both say and you can edit it.
Sprites
  Check out my sprites
  here

Taichii

hihi nothing much,, just a brief planning and resting :D
trying to avoid too much time warp :D

"Desperation"