• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 22, 2024, 09:09:39 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Even longer overdue Flan sprite

Started by Choto, March 12, 2012, 04:18:44 pm

Choto

August 01, 2012, 08:10:13 pm #100 Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:06:37 am by Choto
I haven't been able to get the normal attacking animation out of sprite animator yet.. its different from monster to monster. I have to update them yet though. You can get the basic idea though

Took Eternals advice on using that FF4 flan as a base... This is for defending and evading as they share the frame:

Lijj

• Modding version: PSX

Choto

August 06, 2012, 12:10:53 am #102 Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:05:06 pm by Choto
K, Here's an full updated spritesheet. I'm totally excited about it being aaaaalmost done. Also included some gif's just for fun. I plan on going through each frame and checking the recoloring, once it passes quality control checks I'll submit it. I also have to check how it behaves in-game. I'm not totally confident the frames are in the correct spot.

Edit: fixed the .gif's. If anybody has trouble getting the animator to output the correct frames, try erasing all files that start with "sp-anim" in the sprite animator folder before exporting.

Celdia

I love the evade animation, Choto. Totally makes me think of the FF4 ones looking like that. What's left to finish on it?
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

MiKeMiTchi

Really nice animations there, Choto! Keep it up!

Just my cents, I think the portrait that Lijj? made is over-texturized compared to the sprite, if you know what I mean. It doesn't suit the sprite you made, and it looks like it's made from a metal material rather than a translucent one, if you'd ask me.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Lijj

So nice to see a full monster sheet. This is going to be badass- I agree.
I also agree about the portrait. It was made for the darker version and was even then dark.

The shading on this looks really good though.

Choto

August 08, 2012, 12:15:58 am #107 Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:50:28 pm by Choto
Testing

Neophyte Ronin

Yet another monster to add into a Tactics patch.  When I make mine, I'm making a Type A with the original special characters, Type B with brand-new ones, and then both types get a different set of monsters.  The Flans will be in the Version 2.

Choto

updated with tentative palettes. Seems a little saturated, but they look neat ^_^ I tried to make them element-based... water thunder fire ice

Kagebunji

Yeah, they are way too saturated. Use Bomb palettes as reference, it will make stuff easier.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Twinees

Yeah, the palettes dont really work, keep trying to find some of the other colours. Ice looks the best out of the new ones probably.

The Damned

(What the other two said? Also, why is the Lightning one green?)

That said, as Twinees just said, Ice does look the best.

Good work and thanks for sticking with this. I look forward to pilfering it for Embargo far sooner than I imagined.

Not to continue backseat-spriting, especially when I've never done any spriting, but I "have" to ask in light of the green palette: What are you looking at for the coloration of these?

You mentioned using FFIV as a base for certain aspects due to Eternal's advice. Have you looked at the coloration of any other Flans? I ask--perhaps condescendingly--given that while green has occurred, it's been more a paler green. Also, yellow, black and white are overall more common.

Whatever you do, please don't do two blues.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Choto

haha, I certainly appreciate your interest TheDamned... These palettes are just me messing around to finalize a couple different iterations of the sprite. I wanted to stick with the elemental theme because I think its the most fitting for the classic Flan design to be a physically resistant magic user, and green seemed to suit lightning. I guess yellow would do just as well, and i'll try to include one when I de-saturate these palettes. as for black and white.... i just don't feel like a dark or holy based flan would be fitting, but you are free to create these palettes if you want to :P

Next pass, i'll try to make the existing colors fit better, which may result in paler colors

The Damned

(Yeah, paler in this instance is probably better for most colors.)

Oh, I can completely understand wanting to stick with an elemental theme, which is part of the reason I eventually decided on using Flans for Embargo before there was even the possibility of sprites for them; yellow or even purple are far more associated with Lightning element than green, though, which I don't think ever has been. Similarly, I can understand not wanting to do a black or white coloration: I honestly don't think black would work out and white would evoke too many immature male-effluvia jokes; a deep purple might work in lieu of black, though....

Regardless, I meant what I've said about appreciating this. Outside of feeling iffy about the "mouth-fist" normal attack animation, this seems to have come along quite well. I'm glad that you stuck with given how easy it is for things to go incomplete around here; real life takes priority after all. I've been watching this for a while obviously, but only figured I'd comment again now given the coloration issue and my curiosity with the origins of its inspiration.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Choto

palettes.bmp = before
palettes2.bmp = after

Kagebunji

I like it more, though I surely couldn't tell That the second palette is a Lightning flan, looks more like an Earth version, which is kinda awesome too. Overall they are well desaturated, I like it.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

MiKeMiTchi

Fire flan look a 'lil earthy to me as well. Prolly lower the hue value by 10 or so. The Lightning flan, as said by Kage, doesn't seem to represent Lightning at all. It's more like a Wind flan.  The Ice flan is good.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

The Damned

(I have to agree with the others still that Green doesn't suit the "Lightning" one. It would work better for Wind or even Earth.)

That said, I concur with MiKeMiTchi the Fiery red one is now looking a bit too ruddy and brown-looking in its paler form. That one could easily pass for an Earth elemental flan--Coco Pudding?--as well now, which is actually more problematic than the Lightning one not being yellow (or purple) given that it started out as red....

Maybe trying going brighter for that one? (And a/the yellow one if you do it?) A non-blue eye color for the red one might help a bit. It's difficult to tell, especially with my lack of sprite work.

Otherwise, I agree with the others in that the others look better, particularly the already good looking Ice flan. Good job.

Eternal

If you want Thunder, go for yellow. That's what FFTA/A2 and a few other FFs do.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817