• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:30:19 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

This is an Extremely Silly Request - Pokeballs!

Started by RedWorld, May 01, 2012, 04:01:52 pm

RedWorld

(Move at your will if I put this in the wrong place, and I'm sorry. I haven't been on this section in 3894583490 years. x.x)

So one day when I was driving to school, I was thinking about Pokemon for some reason and then I was thinking of FFT. I was thinking of the throw rock move and then I was like, "What if you could catch a monster with a Pokeball!?" And so the idea wouldn't leave my mind until I posted this! Is it even possible to do this? It would be awesome to see!

Feel free to work on this as hard as you like. xD

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

Celdia

Use the Wall attribute slot, set it for 0 CT and Freeze CT, don't put anything in that can remove it. Use the Draw Out skillset and replace Katanas with Pokeballs. Have them all add Invite + Wall at varying hit% and make the formula only for on non-human type units...shouldn't be impossible by any means.

The monster would remain as a terrain blocking unit for the rest of the battle, but no one would be able to damage it and it wouldn't ever Act again. Its kind of a half-assed approach but it would have the basic effect you're looking for. [Note: Using Katanas/Draw Out for this will cause the Pokeball used to be consumed/'broken' with a 100% rate like using an Item would so long as you're not using the normal Draw Out formulas.]
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Could you have an ability that adds invite, and then is hard-coded to some event scripting that teleports the monster out of battle?  And make the ability only work on enemies that are ID'd as Generic Monsters?  0x82, IIRC.

And have a "Require Pokeball Accessory" as a requirement.

Celdia

Elric might be able to answer that in better detail but I'm pretty sure you'd have to write special event instructions into every battle in the game that has a monster and it would need specific data for every possible monster unit ID that can spawn in the fight. There are hundreds of random battles in there and any one of them with a monster would need those event instructions added to it. That upwards of an easy thousand sets of event instructions if you're using monster-heavy enemy formations. I can't imagine how much space that would require or even if there's enough room for it all. That whole idea is ridiculous just to make monsters teleport out of battle.

3lric

May 01, 2012, 06:20:31 pm #4 Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:19:54 pm by Elric42
As cool as this would be, Celdia is correct, the issue would lay in making a event condition to make this work. Which as long as you always use the same Unit ID's for the monsters in question it
would be entirely possible.

The hard part would be with Random battles, since as of right now we only have the event template for the random battles, but we can't edit event conditions for them.
We came across this issue long ago when Raven & I were discussing using event conditions to make the game end if any main char in Jot5 dies, but the problem even then was the
same :/ no event conditions for Random battles.   

Tho this may otherwise be possible, Raven may have more info. But as far as i know, we don't have the ability to add in conditions to randoms just yet.

Tho i must say the idea is actually quite cool. Gives me an idea for a mini-mod lol.

NOTE: On a plus side, if you were able to setup every monster in random battles with the same Unit ID's (ex: 80-86) you would only have to sacrifice a couple events to turn into Conditions
that make that unit ID disappear should it hit the trigger of being "caught". So if it ever does become possible to edit random battle conditions, it shouldn't be completely impossible to
make this happen and still have some wiggle room left.

Celdia

Would be a lot more plausible if you did a patch that used the No Random Battles hack and you went in and set everything manually into scripted battles. You could call it "Pokemon Tactics: No Tall Grass".

3lric

Quote from: Celdia on May 01, 2012, 11:21:40 pm
Would be a lot more plausible if you did a patch that used the No Random Battles hack and you went in and set everything manually into scripted battles. You could call it "Pokemon Tactics: No Tall Grass".

almost exactly what i was thinking lol

Ryason55

Or rewrite the Treasure status to do it. Throw a Pokeball at a monster, and if it hits, the monster is "captured" (the new Treasure status applied) and the "pokeball" sits on the ground waiting to be picked up. Would probably require a lot more work, but it'd be more space-effecient, I'd imagine.

3lric

The amount of work that that would require would take far longer then I'm willing to wait :P

As I said, if the conditions are done right you really wont be using more then a couple events that
would be recycled thru out battles as long as the monster ID's remain the same.

This is an interesting idea, and I intend to look more into it.

Celdia

Quote from: Elric42 on May 02, 2012, 06:01:51 am
This is an interesting idea, and I intend to look more into it.

Look at what you did, Red!!!

RandMuadDib

How about just adding the invite status to the throw stone ability?
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

3lric

Quote from: RandMuadDib on May 03, 2012, 08:42:39 pm
How about just adding the invite status to the throw stone ability?

Well thats no fun :(

Pride and I have been discussing several ways to do a Pokemon mod tho, So you may eventually see a mod with this  ;)

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

This is not a silly request.  For some serendipitous reason, I've been thinking of a Pokemon Tactics all day.  If you started small with a pokemon of each "element," you could make a decent game and you could balance it better than the actual pokemon games are.

Grass - Bulbasaur
Water - Squirtle
Fire - Charmander
Electric - Pikachu
Normal - Rattata
Flying - Pidgey
Rock - Geodude
Ground - Sandshrew
Poison - Ekans
Fighting - Machop
Psychic - Abra
Ghost - Ghastly
Dragon - Dratini
Bug - Caterpie
Ice - umm... Shellder or Seal?

Have a trainer be forced onto the field who is basically a chemist/mediator that cannot attack.  The pokeball ability would be like Train is for the mediator.

My mind is going into overdrive for what this could possibly be!

3lric

@Kuraudo Sutoraifu,

These are actually many of the exact things Pride and I discussed. The only difference being the Pokemon,
Since we obviously don't have the sprites for them, but there are also ways around this  :mrgreen:

Taichii

Quote from: Elric42 on May 03, 2012, 10:26:57 pm
The only difference being the Pokemon,
Since we obviously don't have the sprites for them, but there are also ways around this  :mrgreen:

Bro Elric has digimon's agumon though XD
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

3lric

May 04, 2012, 08:50:29 pm #15 Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:08:50 am by Elric42
Obviously needs some cleaning up since I'm no spriter, but I thought some people might enjoy seeing this:
(I converted this from a Pokemon DS game for a FFT Pokemon mod Pride and I have been discussing)

Eternal

Make four Throw Stones, each one with a different Invite proc rate. Poke Ball, Great Ball, Ultra Ball, Master Ball.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

3lric

We already have a better way of doing that Eternal.. You /should/ already know this :P