• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 13, 2024, 05:12:21 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

PSP WotL - why no "No Random Battles" cwcheat?

Started by Psymun, July 20, 2013, 10:40:56 am

Psymun

Hello,

First, I just want to thank the people at FFHacktics for their great work!  I wouldn't be playing WotL if the slowdown wasn't patched.   

I've tried searching for a "No Random Battle" cwcheat code for the US version, but to no avail.  It just seems strange that WotL doesn't have such a code when 1) FFT has been hacked and modded to such a significant degree and 2) the Gameshark code exists for the PSX version.  Is there a reason why the PSX code couldn't be translated to WotL?  (Maybe the RNG works differently or the memory location is different?)  I'm just curious. 

If a "No Random Battle" cwcheat does exist, then please let me know and forgive my poor Googling skills.

Thanks in advance!

Xifanie

Yeah, the PSX version of FFT has been hacked deeply... PSP? Barely. No one who has the skills wants to bother touching that port (since it's a lot of trouble, and many don't like the PSP additions), so we're left with lots of lots of disappointed people.

I made a patch for the PSX version for smart encounters, but I have no idea how to translate it to PSP, nor do I have the means since I don't even have a PSP nor own WotL. But yeah, I think it's mostly a different memory location issue.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Glain

As far as I know, the game code was recompiled (from C?) and most of the code is in WotL's BOOT.BIN.  That file is full of ASM with PSP-specific commands.  I'm not sure the binaries inside fftpack.bin are even loaded.  Archaemic's notes seem to indicate that SLPS, the main JP executable, isn't mapped to RAM at all, and the psx_main thread actually maps into BOOT.BIN...

If true, that would mean ASM hacks really couldn't be compatible across the two versions, except in cases where the compiler generated the exact same ASM as the PSX version, which I think is largely unlikely (The code in BOOT.BIN uses different patterns than the PSX code does; as an example, re-setting the stack pointer in the delay slot of the return statement).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Xifanie

• Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

formerdeathcorps

July 20, 2013, 07:53:06 pm #4 Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:40:05 pm by formerdeathcorps
The only things in fftpack.bin that load (that I know of) are TEST.EVT, the sprites and effect files, and the ENTDs.
Pretty much, anything that contains functional ASM from the PSX version should have been moved to BOOT.BIN.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.