• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

adding effects to throwing items

Started by flameman050, March 30, 2013, 11:30:22 pm

flameman050

Hey, Im pretty new at this and ive just been testing out fft patcher and some beginner ASM hacking. Im trying to create a class (replacing ninja) that specializes in throwing weapons/knives. Is there any way for me to add status effects to throwing weapons? If so, how? I cant seem to find a way to do it via the hacker and can't find anything on it online.

Jumza

I believe that someone made an ASM hack for something like this, I'll look around for a bit and get back to you.

EDIT: Yup found it, in Choto's ASM thread http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8507.0
It changes the effect for the elemental balls. If you want to change the graphic of the ball itself, it can be found in the ShiShi Sprite manager on the page with all the weapons. It's not 100% what you need, but it does allow you to change a little bit.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Pride

of course you can ror, if you can do the asm for it :]

which is the answer, its possible if you create the hack yourself (or if someone is nice enough to do it such as pokey, choto, or myselft)
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Jumza

derp. Failed to read "status" before effect :/
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

flameman050

Quote from: Jumza on March 30, 2013, 11:54:21 pm
I believe that someone made an ASM hack for something like this, I'll look around for a bit and get back to you.

EDIT: Yup found it, in Choto's ASM thread http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8507.0
It changes the effect for the elemental balls. If you want to change the graphic of the ball itself, it can be found in the ShiShi Sprite manager on the page with all the weapons. It's not 100% what you need, but it does allow you to change a little bit.

yeah, I just tried the hack and it just changed the effects (which is pretty useful in and of itself). I guess I'll have to wait until someone can come up with a hack that can. I think it would have to do something such as making the throw ability check for weapon abilities/status but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Pride

the routines needed for this hack are known to make this work; myself or others would be more willing to help if you tried to :) it's never a good idea to wait for someone else to do the work

Choto

Quote from: Pride on March 31, 2013, 02:23:29 am
the routines needed for this hack are known to make this work; myself or others would be more willing to help if you tried to :) it's never a good idea to wait for someone else to do the work

Rfh got his start in threads just like this. Through some effort and persistence he managed to learn all he needed to create the hacks that he wanted to make.

flameman050

Quote from: Pride on March 31, 2013, 02:23:29 am

Yeah I was just thinking that I wanted to see if I can do it myself, but I honestly know next to nothing about ASM hacking.

but since i couldn't sleep last night i got to thinking, could i piggy back off a code for an ability that does check weapon status? (i cant think of one right now tho)..
Also, from what i can understand, it would probably need more bits than what are already allocated for each throw ability, are the locations set for certain abilities, or is it possible to remove one ability (say, throw: katana) to make room to add coding to another (say, throw: shuriken)? i'd be completely OK with removing quite a few of the throw abilities if it were possible

Pride

You would have to check the pre-formula set up routine to see if the throw action menu saves the weapon status as the inflict status, if it does then the asm is simply adding the status routine to the main throw formula (63 iirc). if it doesnt, then you would have to code it which wouldnt be too difficult and might be a decent one to try and code yourself for a beginner.

flameman050

Ok, thanks. yeah, I'll give it a shot. it'll take a while to get to though, cause I've got a lot of work to do now.

flameman050

So I just got through with exam (hell) week so I should have some more time to put into learning ASM hacking now. I've actually started some and have a question. (This is just me being curious) Is it possible to take the bit space that's allocated for a skill set (i.e. jump) and rewrite it so as not read the passive abilities but to instead to have the action set within the new "jump" formula?

Also, Does anyone know the offset for the special skillsets(jump, throw, draw out)?? I can find the abilities easily but can't seem to backtrack it to where 'jump' is being told to read 'vertical/horizontal jump x'. I've looked everywhere but can't find anything that tells me where it is.  :(

Choto

April 07, 2013, 07:30:41 pm #13 Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:18:37 pm by Choto
I'm going to organize a little package of useful ASM resources and have it put in the useful links section. In it will be a file called "data locations.txt" and has a bunch of offsets for where data and tables are stored. The wiki is the prime resource for routine locations (sections of code that perform functions).
Edit: here it is - http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9608.0

There will also be a debugger. The easiest way to find a routine that deals with a specific byte is to set a "read breakpoint" on that byte offset. The debugger will then stop at the command that reads that byte, giving you the routine that you seek. For the "vertical/horizontal" bytes, an easy way to find where they are stored (thus, where they will be read from) is to change one of the bytes in FFTPatcher and look at the gameshark codes tab. The code will look like "80065432 0001". The first 8 bytes is the address of the data, and the last 4 is what the code is actually writing in that space. The address is where you would set the breakpoint at.

If this is confusing, don't worry. Many times once you read and reread things they become clear down the road.