• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 02:51:56 am

assistance needed.

Started by scorpiovaeden, November 04, 2012, 07:21:00 pm

scorpiovaeden

November 04, 2012, 07:21:00 pm Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:31:55 pm by scorpiovaeden
Hello everyone,

As I continue my adventure into learning how to mod fft... I have learned a lot so far.

I used the "Character Creation Tutorial by Jon" in order to add a new character into my game. I was trying to add the Fayt sprite... so I followed the tutorials instructions and everything appeared to go perfect, no unusual errors and all programs seemed to do as they were suppose to.

Everything in GraphicGale, PalSuite3, fftpatcher, cdmage, fftacttext, and shishi, all worked fine.

Yet I start a new game with my iso and boom, nothing. Game runs fine but nothing I modded has shown up.

EDIT

Ok I am retracing the steps... now for some reason in the FFTACTEXT editor... now I am getting an error saying "DTE FOR open.lzw failed, the iso has not been modified" This happens when I try to patch my iso. The problem seems to be in changing the name "dish" to what I want to name the character.

ANy suggestions?

Choto

not sure exactly what you edited... i've never looked at Jon's tutorial. When in doubt, start with a fresh Iso, download the latest versions of the editing programs. If you are using FFTactext v.482, I've heard that it's buggy, so you might want to check the FFTPatcher source code thread and try to find an older version.

Eternal

If you're editing WotL, you need to remove and shorten a lot of text. A good place to start is removing the Visual Novels.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

scorpiovaeden

Thanks for the replies...

I am gonna try again with a fresh iso... I guessing the issue is with the fftacttext that I am using and/or the instructions are flwed.

So I will try again and see what happens :)

Also, I am using the original psx version.

Eternal

Generally, even with the PSX version, if you're getting an error inside a specific file, you should go to that file in Tactext and see if something's too long, or if you're using characters the game doesn't support. That'll fix the problem about 75% of the time.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Celdia

With the OPEN.LZW error speficially I have found that making a new .fftactext file from a clean ISO and clipping the OPEN.LZW section of that and dumping it into a error-producing .fftactext file will fix that problem with the downside of losing and modifications made to OPEN....which after doing hours and hours worth of modifications is usually a very insignificant price to pay for not having to start over entirely. Doesn't require anything more complicated that Notepad to do it.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

scorpiovaeden

Yeah I am doing a fresh file.... I understand what went wrong the first time (I saved/opened an iso in a different folder by accident near the end)

I haven't done a whole lot in the programs... so starting fresh might fix the problem.

In terms of OPEN though in my second attempt... it really through me for a loop.... in this process I am replacing the name Simon with Jeres.... so no big change, and same number of letters. So I would say its an unknown error, that hopefully wont happen this time.

scorpiovaeden

November 05, 2012, 07:05:00 pm #7 Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:41:47 pm by scorpiovaeden
Ok!

So I have met with pretty good success! My character showed up the military academy opening, as well as battle and Battle sprite.

But... for some reason my guys portrait is really mixed up (color-wise) in the unit selection screen for battle... but in battle the portrait is perfect.

So only 1 problem this time! YAY!

Any suggestions on how to fix this one final issue?

Also I used 35 teta's magic to make my guys class... and 13 simon for my guys sprite. (I moved simon to 3A the unused Celia, so he still shows up normally). I am wondering now are there any other character numbers/jobs (maybe balma's arc witch if that is in there I remember years ago when I tried the gameshark it could be used) that I can use that are unused in the list (ie: 3B lede) that I could alter to add more characters?

EDIT!

Ok... so after doing some searching on the site... I have found out that there are some issues with the Job/Sprite editing process in the tutorial from what I'm understanding that I am using. That the custom class will not "stick" and will reset if switched away. So I have decided not to use that tut any longer, although it was beneficial in teaching me some basics.

So i've decided to use the easier process of the FFTASTIC for replacing my generics... now in terms of my custom sprite portrait... in battle the colors and all look correct, but on formation screens the colors are all mixed up.

I'm thinking this is from Graphic Gale and the .bmp file I use to make the portrait. When I open the .bmp file from this site... the portraits always have mixed up colors. Any way to fix this so that the colors show up properly in the formation screens?

Damos

when using graphics gale make sure to load pallette from the new sprite set before copying the new sprite you intend to use, this way in battle all the colors look correct.

This also makes sure that its correct in the character selection screen.