• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 15, 2024, 01:11:41 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Working Title: Untitled -- A stand-alone game from the FFH community

Started by mekk_pilot, September 19, 2012, 04:16:13 pm

mekk_pilot

It occurred to me today:  besides FFH, what group in the world has comparable knowledge regarding the functioning of Tactical RPG's?  This group has weighed and debated, both individually and in groups, the mechanics of FFT to the extent where expertise is the only word that could describe the collective body of knowledge.  And then I thought:  Why not use this knowledge to create a totally new TRPG?

I propose that members of this community collaborate on a from-scratch, totally new TRPG, perhaps as a spiritual successor to FFT.  And sell it. 

Granted, due to time commitments and the amount of work involved, this would be a multi-year effort, likely involving a rotating cast of characters.  I see the work being done in three stages:

First, the *total* design and concept art.  The game mechanics would be in place, including pseudocoded AI algorithms, elevation maps, etc., so that the game could be tested in toto "on paper."  This would be the stage where wrangling over features would occur, and they would be subject to rigorous testing.  The storyline/script would be totally written.  As of this point, there would be no coding and no actual art done for the game.

Second, as testing continues, the working group will cast the net for additional talent.  With a design and story in place, as well as some native art and coding capabilities, I do not think it would be impossible to get help.  At this point spriting and coding begins, as testing has provided proven mechanics.

Third, work on implementing all features of the game is completed.  The game becomes a finished product, and testing turns from validating designs to "bug-hunts."  Finally, the game is done, and ready to sell.

A few immediate issues:

Consensus:  I propose a group of 3 or 5 "elders" be chosen to steer the project.  They will vote on controversies.  There should be periodic chat meetings, with predetermined rules of order, to handle issues and guide action.  In the initial stages of this project, they may occur once a month, while the rate would increase during periods of heavy work.

A Seperate Forum:  If the community has any interest in this, it should have its own forum where the preliminary design and decision-making is done.  The forum will be active throughout the project.

Compensation:  I have to admit I am almost totally clueless as to how this would work.  I imagine there would be some kind of system of "shares," with more ownership of profits accorded to those who put in the most work.

That's all I've got for now.  This topic is open for discussion.

lirmont

Tethical is an engine. This is about a game. You can do 90% of the work (i.e. content; scripts, maps, sprites, battle mechanics, GUI planning) without actually putting it into practice. That last 10% could be handled by Tethical's engine (assuming it gets finished), but it will not ever be responsible for that other 90% of making a game.