• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

October 23, 2021, 06:37:09 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen/RetroArch is recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Patch Ideas Proposal Thread

Started by RavenOfRazgriz, September 17, 2012, 06:12:58 pm

nitwit

July 20, 2021, 10:20:01 pm #160 Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 10:51:08 pm by nitwit
Head over to GBAtemp forums and ask around in the PSP boards until you find something that lets you extract files from a PSP disc image similar to CD Mage for the PS1. CD Mage is here on the wiki, I think PS1 games use mode 2, form 1 when opened with CD Mage, I always forget. There are only 4 possible options (mode 1/2 form 1/2) so try everything until it works.

If that works, do as I said in my last post: compare file sizes, compare hashes, find a binary diff program. I think I have one lying around somewhere (unfortunately it was written in Java), so I can post it when you get that far and after I rouse myself to write a good readme for it.

Don't worry about decompressing anything until you get to that point, otherwise you'll be too demoralized to continue. Even if it is compressed, there is almost certainly a tool to decompress it on a romhacking site somewhere, and any headers present in such files should be obvious to anyone who's worked with file headers before.

Once you have a set of sound files and you have a means to split them into parts, you can directly compare them byte per byte or you can look around for documentation on the subject and perhaps even programs to handle them. I remember someone at Qhimm worked on a sound editor for FF8, which was made around the same time as FFT. Probably uses a very similar format.

Here's a tutorial on using the command line.
https://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=12738.0

"Awareness of your ignorance is the first step to becoming wise."
~ Boko

edit

If you can figure out the structure and location of sound files on disc, then you should be able to find them in a save state, and from there RAM. Once you have their location in RAM you can very quickly test out various values to determine what parts of the data do what.

Designing a test scenario where you can debug things as quickly and completely as possible is a very useful skill to have.
  • Modding version: PSX

C1REX

I was thinking of a patch that would block transfer of skills between jobs except the one in the middle (support skills).
So only chemist could use items, only thief could have move+2 and only monk could have counter attack.
It would instantly make the game more difficult but also make some jobs waaay more viable (chemist) and monsters could be good companions in fights. Also only calculator could use math skills and would not be that broken. 5 chemists would be a viable team.

I have a feeling it was initially intended and combining jobs breaks the game. Also that's why humans are so much stronger than monsters.

What do you think?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown