• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 08:05:41 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Is it possible to add or edit entries to the "Brave Story"?

Started by plandr, September 25, 2011, 03:46:16 pm

plandr

Expounding on the topic title:

Is it possible to add or edit entries to the "Brave Story"? (world map options menu).

I have entries I want to add there under the characters section.

This may be done under Easyvent, but as that program is a bit more involved than the others and I'm still learning it I wanted to check and see if you do it another way first.

RavenOfRazgriz

September 25, 2011, 05:18:40 pm #1 Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:20:05 pm by RavenOfRazgriz
EasyVent Editor Super Perfect doesn't cover the Brave Story.  FFTacText is the program you want to be using to edit the text in those.

Changing the actual triggers that add/remove entries and such though is a combination of Events (where EasyVent would help) and WORLD editing, which Pokeytax has a beta-ish tool out for.  Basically, you need to set variables to be True/False/etc in order to display the entry you want when you want it.  You'll be looking for the "Biographies/Persons" section at the very bottom of this page if you want to edit things like when the entries open.

As you can see, there's quite a few blank ones you can make use of for custom characters.

plandr

Thank you. :)

I'll start working on this now.

Follow up question: If I want to assign new characters to start the game with Ramza (first battle of chapter 1), I would use the event editor for that, correct?

RavenOfRazgriz

You would find the ENTD for the Military Academy event in FFTPatcher and replace the generics there with the units you want to use.  If you edit the Unit IDs of the first male Squire and first female Squire present in the ENTD (something you'll want to do if adding non-generic units to Ramza's party using those slots), you'll need to open the event in EasyVent and fix the Unit IDs in their speaking lines to the new ones you set.

plandr

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on September 25, 2011, 09:11:57 pm
You would find the ENTD for the Military Academy event in FFTPatcher and replace the generics there with the units you want to use.  If you edit the Unit IDs of the first male Squire and first female Squire present in the ENTD (something you'll want to do if adding non-generic units to Ramza's party using those slots), you'll need to open the event in EasyVent and fix the Unit IDs in their speaking lines to the new ones you set.

Okay, this is a bit more to wrap my head around but I'll get it. Will post my results as they come for archive purposes in case others want to do the same thing. :)

Durbs

Wait, can't you just use tactext for that...? I'm almost positive it has an area for editing the brave story.
  • Modding version: PSX

plandr

Okay, I'm now in FF TactText and have found character bios in the WLDMES.BIN file.

Is there any particular blank space I should be filling in here? There are several entries with nothing in them.

Further, how do I assign a picture to come up alongside the bio? I'm guessing it has something to do with the data filled in each space. i.e.

{0xEC7B}{0xF566}{0xF664}{0xF508}{0xF601}         Dycedarg Beoulve (Age:{0xE4}){Newline}

^^ My custom added character must have similar information, correct? How do I identify this data? It uses file 08 in the unit.bin & wldface.bin and 39/3a as a sprite and job class, respectively. So I'm guessing the idea is that I find the identification information for one of those character IDs (not sure which) that corresponds to the unit information used on the bio page (like what is posted for Dycedarg above).

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I guess what I really need to understand to go further is how to identify what the text above means/corresponds to.

Durbs

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on September 26, 2011, 07:54:36 pm
Considering that's exactly what I told him to do, you tell me.

Where did you say that?

Edit: Nevermind, I missed that.

Durbs

Quote from: plandr on September 27, 2011, 02:54:00 am
Is there any particular blank space I should be filling in here? There are several entries with nothing in them.

No, blank spaces don't correspond to anything in the game. You just have to edit the ones that are already there.

Quote from: plandr on September 27, 2011, 02:54:00 am
Further, how do I assign a picture to come up alongside the bio? I'm guessing it has something to do with the data filled in each space. i.e.

{0xEC7B}{0xF566}{0xF664}{0xF508}{0xF601}         Dycedarg Beoulve (Age:{0xE4}){Newline}

^^ My custom added character must have similar information, correct? How do I identify this data? It uses file 08 in the unit.bin & wldface.bin and 39/3a as a sprite and job class, respectively. So I'm guessing the idea is that I find the identification information for one of those character IDs (not sure which) that corresponds to the unit information used on the bio page (like what is posted for Dycedarg above).

I guess what I really need to understand to go further is how to identify what the text above means/corresponds to.

For that,you just need to fix the formation sprites and the Brave Strory will change the picture assosciated wth that slot. I think.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Durbs on September 27, 2011, 07:52:36 am
No, blank spaces don't correspond to anything in the game. You just have to edit the ones that are already there.

You can edit the blank spaces if you know what you're doing, read my first reply.

Quote from: plandr on September 27, 2011, 02:54:00 am{0xEC7B}{0xF566}{0xF664}{0xF508}{0xF601}         Dycedarg Beoulve (Age:{0xE4}){Newline}

I'll need to look into it some on the portrait, since you're doing the call from an unused entry.  The Age{0xE4} is likely just a call to variable x00E4, used to store Dycedarg's initial age because it'll change as you wander the world and allow years to pass.  You should be able to find an unused variable not related to anything and initialize it similarly for your character in either WORLD.BIN or during an Event.  I'll look to see if I can figure out what the other variables happen to mean later.  They might be related to Portrait, or one or two other things I can think of.  Either that, or they relate to something in FFTacText and I'm completely retarded, with Portrait being set somewhere else.

You could always play with messing around with those variables and seeing what it does to Dycedarg's Brave Story in the meanwhile to experiment, you might stumble onto what you need.

plandr

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on September 27, 2011, 09:54:24 am
You can edit the blank spaces if you know what you're doing, read my first reply.

I'll need to look into it some on the portrait, since you're doing the call from an unused entry.  The Age{0xE4} is likely just a call to variable x00E4, used to store Dycedarg's initial age because it'll change as you wander the world and allow years to pass.  You should be able to find an unused variable not related to anything and initialize it similarly for your character in either WORLD.BIN or during an Event.  I'll look to see if I can figure out what the other variables happen to mean later.  They might be related to Portrait, or one or two other things I can think of.  Either that, or they relate to something in FFTacText and I'm completely retarded, with Portrait being set somewhere else.

You could always play with messing around with those variables and seeing what it does to Dycedarg's Brave Story in the meanwhile to experiment, you might stumble onto what you need.

Been playing around in tacttext for a while. I've check World.BIN via tactext and can't find a location of where starting ages are stored. Since 0xE4 is a variable used to refer to pretty much all of the ages I'm assuming there is a singular place I should be able to find it. If anyone stumbles upon it let me know please. :)

plandr

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on September 25, 2011, 09:11:57 pm

[img=http://img37.imagevenue.com/loc555/th_162623153_Untitled_122_555lo.jpg]

^^Any idea what is wrong here? Units aren't showing up...

Glain

Wrong ENTD; the correct one is 188. I know it's unlabeled.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

plandr

Quote from: Glain on September 27, 2011, 07:14:15 pm
Wrong ENTD; the correct one is 188. I know it's unlabeled.

EDIT: That fixed the problem :)

plandr

Editing 188 seems to have glitched the guard at the start and also prevented the two characters from lining up. Any ideas?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is the change I made:

Obviously it seems number 3 is tied to the guard that enters the room in addition to one of the cadets.

Before I play that first battle at the monastery for the 47th time though I think it's prudent to ask which characters you guys have historically found okay to edit there.

RavenOfRazgriz

You broke the Sprite Limit is all.

Male Squire
Female Squire
Male Chemist
Female Chemist
Male Knight
Female Knight
Ramza
Delita
Garnet
That Other Chick

Totals 10.  Only 9 Sprites can be loaded by the game at a time.  Just reduce how many Sprites are on the screen somehow and you'll be good.

plandr

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on September 27, 2011, 09:31:08 pm
You broke the Sprite Limit is all.

Male Squire
Female Squire
Male Chemist
Female Chemist
Male Knight
Female Knight
Ramza
Delita
Garnet
That Other Chick

Totals 10.  Only 9 Sprites can be loaded by the game at a time.  Just reduce how many Sprites are on the screen somehow and you'll be good.

Interesting. All I did was insert over older sprites so I wonder why that happened.

Thanks for the feedback.

P.S. To get the actors to line up with the other characters should I just change the x80 and x83 references to x3A and x3B?

Glain

Reused sprites don't count as part of the limit. So if there were two male squires, that's only one. Replacing one with a unique sprite to that map means you've added one to that distinct sprite count. It can't go over 9, or else you get... that.

The reason your units aren't lining up is probably because the event can't find them, as you changed the Unit IDs. You'd have to edit the event to put in your new IDs. I imagine EasyVent could do that rather easily?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

plandr

Quote from: Glain on September 27, 2011, 09:41:26 pm
Reused sprites don't count as part of the limit. So if there were two male squires, that's only one. Replacing one with a unique sprite to that map means you've added one to that distinct sprite count. It can't go over 9, or else you get... that.

The reason your units aren't lining up is probably because the event can't find them, as you changed the Unit IDs. You'd have to edit the event to put in your new IDs. I imagine EasyVent could do that rather easily?

Yeah, I'm guessing I need to change all references of x80 and x83 (the sprites I replaced) to x3A and x3B.

That said:

^^ Anyone have any idea why I get glitches like this in the narrative voice? My tactics has always done this (even when I don't mod it), but I'm wondering if its a disk or emulator problem.