• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 01:12:44 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Brand new, go easy on me.

Started by Notsoclvr, June 25, 2011, 04:00:50 am

Notsoclvr

Alright, so, Tactics is one of my favorite games of all time. Back in the day, I used to enter obnoxiously complex Gameshark codes to edit my characters on the game, or get Zalbag in my party, or you know, things like that. So I stumbled upon this site, and all the things you people do to the game is just fascinating to me. And I'd like to download some things and try things out for myself but...I don't know one thing about hacking.

Not a single thing. I don't know how to "patch" the game, I don't know how to implement any of the hacks, absolute 0. You all don't have to tell me how to do any of that (unless you want to, of course) but, if you could direct me to maybe another website, or another topic on this board that explains the bare basics of things like this, that'd be greatly appreciated. And it'd be nice if you didn't boo me off the website. And yeah I know hacking and modding and doing all of this is really difficult and probably hard to learn, but, still, I consider myself a good learner... I guess..
Obligatory signature.

Eternal

To patch an ISO, you'll need PPF-o-Matic, which is supplied on the Downloads section of this site. In order to obtain an ISO, it's recommended that you rip the ISO from your own copy of FFT. From there, you use PPF-o-Matic to patch that ISO with the patch.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Notsoclvr

How would I go about ripping it off my disk?
Obligatory signature.

Eternal

ImgBurn does a pretty good job of that, IIRC.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Notsoclvr

Probably a stupid question, but, I'm full of them. Ripping that ISO won't harm my original disk, will it?
Obligatory signature.

Eternal

Nope. It just copies the files from the disc onto your computer.

Notsoclvr

What emulator do you recommend to run it on my computer?
Obligatory signature.

RedWorld

Hello and welcome! ^w^

I'm pretty much (almost) on the same boat as you, since I know almost nothing about ASM hacking, but I love to sprite and replace characters, which is fairly easy and fun! X3

As for the emulator you use, everyone prefers ePSXe, but in my opinion, pSX 1.13 is the way to go! I use ePSXe only for tournaments because it's the only emulator in my knowledge that can read .GME files (like, memory cards.) It all depends on your preference. X3

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

Notsoclvr

Thank you for the welcome (: Appreciate that no one has been hostile towards me yet. lol. Hopefully I can pick up on things without being annoying about it!
Obligatory signature.

RedWorld

Haha! Really? I felt I was quite taken care of. ;w;

Anyway, better get back on topic before I have to deal with Eternal's wrath! *crai*

If you need anymore help, I will do my very best to help you! X3

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes