• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

RedWorld's Sprites - I'm Back Baby!

Started by RedWorld, May 13, 2011, 11:46:23 pm

RedWorld

May 13, 2011, 11:46:23 pm Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:48:28 pm by RedWorld
Watch the paint work!!

Now that I have the catchphrase out of the way...

Here is where I will be working on sprites of any kind, including facial expressions and such that don't exactly have anything to do with the in-game portraits, but still have SOMETHING to do with FFT. c: Here will be a clean list of what I have finished, where it is, and what else I'll be working on.

Finished- Full Sprites:

*Aida the Cleric (OC) (On this post)
(Thank you, Celdia, for helping me with the portrait~ <333)

-----------
Ideas/To do:

*Isabella the Chocohume (OC)
*Stella (Trickster Online)
*Mireru (Trickster Online)
*Mercury (Trickster Online)
*Mars (Trickster Online)

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

Mando

I like the colors personally but in before everyone else "not fft colors"

^ New FFAT website made by St4r!

Durbs

Quote from: Mando on May 14, 2011, 12:52:54 am
I like the colors personally but in before everyone else "not fft colors"

Beat me to the punch. :evil: An excellent first sprite, but, like Mando said, it's too bright. Needs an fft palette. Glad to see we have a new spriter here, though. Looking forward to your upcoming work!
  • Modding version: PSX

Kagebunji

Red, you have an account on Deviant Art, right? I could swear I saw this portrait you use with many expressions and the sprite as well. There was also another Bard-like character with many expressions. Anyway, portrait needs some work on hair, the strand on our left is too linear, and as you see head is leaning a bit to the side, try to fix the allingment. About colors, take them from FFT all the time, heh.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RedWorld

First of all: I knew they weren't FFT colors. xD;; I was using Graphicsgale palette to figure out what colors to use for her and it ended up that they were going to be a light orange and a light pink. I'll remember to use the colors from now on~ I mean, I would love to see it published on the site, but if not, I can always make a V2.

Second: The hair. Yeah, I was having trouble on that stuff. I know I need work on it. OTL Like I said though, V2! 8D;;

Third: The bard character. I know who it is. :3 It's a character named Edward. That's what I based the expressions off of. X3

"Dear God, what's it like in your funny little brains? It must be boring." - Sherlock Holmes

Wolfran

Good job,Red. Well, the hair in the portrait looks too linear as Kage said,you should use as reference Teta/Tietra's hair. And the sprite is a great work but the arms in the frontal frame look odd to me.
Welcome to FFH were you can do things like...

GeneralStrife

Considering its your first thing, Bravo!
But the FFT style is hard to conform to. We are going
to be picky.

mav

Welcome. Good start, but a couple things: your shading on the pink part of the skirt is too flat, the pinks and orange look too similar, so it's hard to tell that those are two different pieces of cloth in some poses, and there's some weird line on her hair on all the diagonal poses (on our left, her right).

As for the portrait, aside from the linear side on our left, the right side is choppy and flat. Look back at the female Oracle and basically any long-haired sprite for ideas on how to patch that up.

Good work, welcome aboard.

Lijj

I like the orange on the sprite myself.. the fuschia should be changed to better distinguish it from the orange. the portrait indeed needs work; the black pixel on the oracle hat bugs me a bit and the reds are way too saturated for a portrait. Also as everyone else said about the hair.
I greatly suggest to any new spriter that you thoroughly check every frame in shishi's using a magnification program and use the yellow boxes to guide you in your clean ups and edits.
  • Modding version: PSX

LastingDawn

Ah, so you're the lady who made that expression portrait? I planned to use that as a template for expressions in a project of my own. I am glad to see that you joined us after all! I do hope that you are good at managing with criticisms though, as long as you're able to conform to this particular style in the end I am sure you will have a long stay with us.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

mav

On closer inspection I've also noticed that you have shared on shade between the pink and the orange for shading purposes. Look at the bow for an example of what I'm talking about. Although it's good to share colors between your palette, doing it here has been counterproductive. What's happened is that you can no longer tell where the orange ends and the pink begins. This is going to make adding new palettes for this sprite tough (if you plan on making additional palettes, which you totally should). Consider using one of the shades from the hair for some of the orange shadows. I was messing with this sprite and decided to replace the pinks with Teta's purples and it looks pretty interesting, aside from the shading on the bow.

Anyways, keep at it.

Kokojo

Out of topic, but mav, do you read your pms? :S
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Zuzka

No I don't think this is the same person who created those portraits. I've  seen the other version on DA by a boy named Edward or were the ports of Edward. Anyhow it's a different individual. The person who did those expressions has also made more just lately. More custom than the ones you posted in Mercenaries Lasting Dawn.
Anyhow nice work so far. Better than I've done. That's why I haven't posted.

LastingDawn

Ah, the idea was never fully put into effect... we only had four basic expressions for a few of the main characters in the end, we thought that would suffice, I am only saying that I took the idea of expression based on event from that person's ideas. Considering FFT rarely ever uses it and it is mostly used to show an injury or something similar at the time.

Though my mistake, I saw Edward the Bard and as I recall it was similar concept to the other person on deviantart.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

RedWorld

Thank you for your feedback and such! I'm glad you guys aren't giving "dickism", which is what I will not tolerate. >< But anyway, I'll be sure to make a V2 when I can. X3

@mav: May I see your version. ;w; It must look really nice! <3

Anyway, I have been working on Mercury's portrait. Truthfully, I'm very very iffy about the hair... To me, it looks too poofy, but his hair is supposed to be like that.... >< Here, I'll post it up to see what you think: This time, I did use FFT palettes, so it looks more like the original game. c:

In .png to keep the colors for now. I was lazy and pasted it on Paint. ><

Mando

Top left blend in a bit more it transitions to fast from light to dark.

Lighten up the edges of scarf/neck makes it pop too much.

I like this portrait though! Very good  :) Can't wait to see the sprite!!!

RedWorld

May 16, 2011, 06:57:45 pm #17 Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 07:15:09 pm by RedWorld
o_O How did I miss the part of the scarf on the back of his neck!? OTL

And about the hair, not all of it was pasted on. I've gotten the hair from Chapter 2-3 Ramza and used Altima's 1st form's hair color to make Mercury's hair color. I just started to add with it to make Mercury's hair. Unfortunately, I didn't get there. I'm still getting the hang of epicly spriting something. I'm getting better, yeah? ;w;

But anyway, I'll get on that~ I'll post it once again when I get the fixes done. c:

EDIT: Finished with the changes! I hope they are better than the last! <3 *is now iffy about the scarf. FFFFFFFF*

Mando

No doubt your getting better ^^; I didn't mean you actually "pasted" it on... just a figure of speech in a sense where it pops out too much and doesn't seem blended in with the rest of the hair.

However yes I do like what you are doing with this sprite!

GeneralStrife

The trick to custom sprites is finding the balance between the FFT style and the reference/character art you are going by.