• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 05, 2024, 06:36:57 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Generic Palettes

Started by zombero, December 26, 2010, 02:30:50 am

zombero

Is there a way to change the color of player controlled generic mimes?  For example, change player mimes to use their #5 palette (sort of a purple-ish blue).  I tried reading posts about custom palettes for hours, but couldn't figure this one out.

Celdia

Yes, but to get it to show outside of battle requires a bit more work than most people are willing to do. Changing the in-battle sprites to another color is a quick export with Shishi, then load the palettes you want into the exported BMP from itself copying palette 5 over 1, and 1 over 5 and the same with palettes 9 and 13 for the portraits, and reimporting that BMP back into the ISO with Shishi.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

GeneralStrife

Also, Get Xifanie's pallette editor. I reccomend it as the best possible way to change colors.
http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3901&start=0

zombero

December 27, 2010, 12:04:05 pm #3 Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:04:59 pm by zombero
Thanks for the help, Xifanie's program definitely helped a lot on changing the battle palette.  As to changing the formation palette, I don't know what method you were going to suggest, but I didn't find this to be much work or difficulty at all, so I'll go ahead and post what I did just in case:

Use FFTEVGRP to open UNIT.BIN and go to the sprite you want to change the palette of.  Save the palette (PAL file).  Open it in a hex editor and starting at location 0x16 you're looking at the RGB values for each of the 16 colors in sequence (separated by a byte '00').  Now just take whatever value you used in Xifanie's program for that color and multiply by 8, then convert to hex.  Pop em all in, re-import the palette in FFTEVGRP, and voila.  Your formation sprite now has the same palette as the battle sprite.