• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 05, 2024, 11:11:20 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

[Old] ALL old topics created before the FULL release (Merged together!)

Started by Dome, December 05, 2010, 02:02:09 pm

Which one is the best, and why?

Ignore
0 (0%)
this
0 (0%)
topic
0 (0%)
!!!!!1111
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

FFMaster

Yep. I still think the best idea is to reduce Speed Growth so that from about 1-99, you only gain about 3-4 speed. That will at least remove the need for Short Charge.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Dome

that's yell.
Yell is not the same of 1.3 in 1.4...

My idea was to make those spells cost a lot of jp, so they won't be acquired early in the game, and make them strong (Power between tier 2 and 3 spells)

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Dome

Dome

FFMaster

That isn't strong at all...

Sounds like you want them to aquire it at around chapter 3ish

It would be strong at about the beginning of Chapter 3. But it still doesn't remove the fact that mages simply will become weak mid-CH4. A bow or a sword would do just as much, if not more, and you wouldn't have to worry about MP at all. It would also probably be more accurate, since Concentrate exists.

philsov

GS - Spam is not tolerated in these forums.  Keep it in general or spam and get the hell out.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Dome

That isn't strong at all...

Sounds like you want them to aquire it at around chapter 3ish

It would be strong at about the beginning of Chapter 3. But it still doesn't remove the fact that mages simply will become weak mid-CH4. A bow or a sword would do just as much, if not more, and you wouldn't have to worry about MP at all. It would also probably be more accurate, since Concentrate exists.

An istant 200+ ranged magical damage (Magic is not so easy to evade) that doesn't require short charge doesn't seems weak to me...

GeneralStrife

Quote from: philsov on January 01, 2011, 07:52:34 pm
GS - Spam is not tolerated in these forums.  Keep it in general or spam and get the hell out.

Holy shit, don't burst a blood vessel.
What about making short charge/Ma atkup easier to get?

philsov

QuoteBut it still doesn't remove the fact that mages simply will become weak mid-CH4.

Yes, but even if you null out speed growth you run into that problem.

Only way to fix that would be to increase MA growth and reduce multipliers to almost monster-like levels.  

GeneralStrife

Dome, One thing, Voldemort removed weaknesses of monsters and such. IMHO, It just takes away from the strategy, and it's no fun then. You get what im saying?

FFMaster

You can deal the same amount with a weapon, and never miss because of Concentrate.

EDIT: It would be easier if we continued on IRC imo

GeneralStrife

The same problem was in vanilla, Think it can easily be fixed?

FFMaster

Another idea - If you guys can think of a good formula, I can ASM hack it and replace the Dmg_F(MA*Y) formula that spells use.

philsov

I can ASM hack it and replace the Dmg_F(MA*Y) formula that spells use.

Maybe Dmg_F((MA + [MA/2])*Y)?

Make the MA matter more and let the Y come down.  It'd scale better?

FFMaster

A couple of people on IRC have suggested to add Level to the formula, making it similar to Pokemon.

philsov

Hm.  It'd be some pretty tricky business to get a constant for level because (*[lvl/100]) certainly won't cut it.  I'd suggest something like 50% damage at 1, 100% damage at 50, and 150% damage at 99 but I have no clue how to express that in a formula. 

Either one works, better scaling is welcome so whatever you can punch out go for it.

philsov

Quotebut I want them to be useful in melee,

Then there's no way the entire class can have a set WP and be worthwhile without being overpowered unless you make them available at the very end of the game.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: philsov on January 01, 2011, 08:14:20 pm
I can ASM hack it and replace the Dmg_F(MA*Y) formula that spells use.

Maybe Dmg_F((MA + [MA/2])*Y)?

Make the MA matter more and let the Y come down.  It'd scale better?

Kind of like this, but MA plus gear gets loads better over any kind of alternative.

Quote from: FFMaster on January 01, 2011, 08:33:57 pm
A couple of people on IRC have suggested to add Level to the formula, making it similar to Pokemon.

Quote from: philsov on January 01, 2011, 08:54:49 pm
Hm.  It'd be some pretty tricky business to get a constant for level because (*[lvl/100]) certainly won't cut it.  I'd suggest something like 50% damage at 1, 100% damage at 50, and 150% damage at 99 but I have no clue how to express that in a formula.

Dmg_F(MA * [50 / 100 + {level / 100}] * Y).

This adds a constant  (* .5) to the F_(MA*Y) formula, then an extra .1 for each level the unit has, ending at (*1.49) at Level 99.  This also allows the formula to be made pretty customizable by allowing the user to input an X value for the constant.

If you want to do it FFM, that's probably the easiest way to get it working.  You should also make it affect the Heal_F(MA*Y) formula as well, if the change wouldn't already.