• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 29, 2024, 02:58:31 am

Character Name Change

Started by SteveMcblark, September 16, 2010, 08:04:44 pm

SteveMcblark

Okay, so I'm trying to change Delita's name to Kain for the sake of a FFIV role playing run. So, I edit the name in all the places I can find in FFTacText Editor, and everything seems to check out, it says it was a success, but after I've patched the iso and everything, I go into the game to find Delita's name completely unchanged in any area. Now I've edited other things like job names, and that's worked just fine, but I just can't get Delita's name to change. Any ideas?

Zozma

are you talking about during story parts of the game or what? because you have to event edit all occurances of his name for that in the event editor
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Jon

Yeah, I am waiting until 2012 for Zodiac's new event editor, that should change Delita's name in events much quicker. For now, you would have to change the entire text which is just ridiculous. That would take like a month. You could just have Kain as a new character, read the stickie of my character creation tutorial. That won't get him to talk though. To change Delita's name, you need to change it in 4 places (this is just to make sure): 1 time in ATTACK.OUT, 1 time in OPEN.LZW and 2 times in WORLD.LZW (numbers 9 and 10).
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

SteveMcblark

Alright, Jon, I'll try that.

And Zozma, the only thing that's a problem is that I can't even seem to change Delita's name as a unit. I understand that if I were to try and make Ramza call Delita Kain, I would have to change the event, but in the case of during battle, shouldn't Delita's name change there?

Jon

It should change if you change it those 4 times in FFTacText. Change it to exactly the same name on all 4 occasions and leave Delita's name alone then in the FFTPatcher. Also be sure to do this all on a clean Vanilla version of FFT. Nothing that has already been patched, ect. It should then be Kain in the menu, battle screen and battle formation. If you do this exactly and it still doesn't work, PM me, I'll make you a saved .tacttext file of whatever you want.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Xifanie

Even the simpliest and quickest way to do this is troublesome.
What I propose it changing
Delita (6 bytes)
to
Kain (4 bytes) + Filler (2 bytes)

Now for the filler to actually take no space, you have to set the length of an unused character to 0.
We'll use the kanji character D100 which SHOULD be located at FF1CC in BATTLE.BIN.

After that you need to open TEST.EVT and replace all Delita to Kain{D100} in hex:
replace all 0D282F2C3724 to 14242C31D100
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful