• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 14, 2024, 07:00:25 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Wy is the final fantasy series keep geting worst to you?

Started by SolidSnakeDog, March 22, 2010, 11:00:31 pm

SolidSnakeDog

Here my opinion on that : There is simply SOO MUCH final fantasy games, making it reuse many things that the old ones have.
The FF's that go out today are not that interesting anymore because there are much more preditible and removed most classics the other FF's had. (Like the world map for exemple)

But...I am thinking now : Most of us played FF has a kid and loved it. Now the FF's series today favor for the next generation, Kids playing it today will probably love it, but people like us...just want the old good classic like we played has a kid.
I will just say that the FF today are not form our generation of gaming but for the new players just started.

For me, the final fantasy series started to fall down hill since Squaresoft and Enix combined to make *SquareEnix*.

What do you guys think about this?

Samuraiblackbelt

I think they are running out of material, and I agree that anyone who never played the PSX FFs can enjoy the newer games more than we can.
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

formerdeathcorps

I didn't play my first FF until 5 years ago, so I don't think the FF classics are "child" material.  However, you are right: Square is losing their touch.  The newer games lack decent storyline and coherence (not to mention lack of innovation).  Met with demands from fans and investors for more games (or at least a somewhat constant production every X months), they're sacrificing quality (while trying to compensate with silly features and graphics).
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

SolidSnakeDog

Quote from: "formerdeathcorps"I didn't play my first FF until 5 years ago, so I don't think the FF classics are "child" material.

Thats not what i meant,i was saying that i liked alot more the FF series that got made during my childhood that the new one's today. Aslo true for kid today that likes, say...FFXII and above.There will be disapointed like we are wen FFXX will be out like 10-15 years later and will say about the same things we do today. (Taking about a paradox here?)
I don't mean FF's are for Kid's lol. (But more enjoyable at this time)

Still...the best thing there did lately is FF4: After years now we are taking about classic...too bad there ruined it by forcing to dl it via the Wii shop channel istend of...say on the DS or something like that.

Say...Got an interesting idia just now, Wy not combining all the older FF's on an single game?
Like the very frist FF to all the way to up to FFIX. (Think of it has the Sega CD thing. but a SquareEnix CD istend)
This would be very nice. BUT KNOWING SquareEnix this will NEVER hapend.

SentinalBlade

My sister is 14, her first final fantasy was 10.

I made her go back and play FF3(or six, however you would refer to it as), and then she played seven, and then nine.(our discs for eight broke). We got 13, and she wont touch it. She said if she wanted to pay for a horrible movie, she would have bought a movie. There maybe some decent/slightly enjoyable gameplay elements, but im 12 hours into the game, and have gotten to experience very little of it.

She is sticking to crisis core.

She is 14, and knows the difference between a good game and a bad game. if she played them when she was 7, maybe she would feel different (which, oddly enough, was when i played my first FF, FF7, and i cant stand it.) but it doesn't deter form the fact that she regrets not waiting for god of war 3. She bought it, yet im the only one who has played it, lol.

SolidSnakeDog

*Off topic*
ST. Ajora of war 3...Looks Epic! I need to get it! I hope you get to fight St.Ajora at the end.

*Back on topic*

Same with you i can't play FF8 anymore because the movies keep stoping for a few sec...go on for a few sec till the game craches completely right before the missiles hits balnab on disk 2..or 3? Can't remember. Tryed it on other PS2 and even on PS3 but guess the cd's life time is over because all my FF8 Cd's had this problem...weird if you ask me.

Kaijyuu

I thought 10 was pretty ok.

I think I disliked 12 (and probably wouldn't like 13) because the battle systems suck. Traditional turn-based battle systems already suck, and they somehow topped them in terms of crappiness. It amazes me.
  • Modding version: PSX

boomkick

If every game was perfect then there wouldn't be any reason for people to try hard.

Can't blame a company for losing a lot of material because they made over 15 games under the Final Fantasy Banner (and few movies).

Novels reuse stories, meaning every book is a copy of ones before it, just different story, characters, and setting. Plot has the same idea but different presentation.

Movies are cliches, except a few differences between them. Very few set groundwork, other then that all the others are copies.

I agree that they are losing their touch, but they just need to do better in the next run and find something new. Or they could reuse something and refine it to make it look like they aren't copying. Other then that expectations for them are just way too high.

Vanya

I liked 10 and X-2. 12 even grew on me after a while.
13 seems like they want to break out of the JRPG thing, but are too chicken shit to start a new series.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

SolidSnakeDog

You know...in the end, this is all about a person's taste.
I liked FF12 too, because there is so much stuff to do and quite a few place you can explore, even at the frist part of the game. (Felt like a MMORPG but for one player.)
Even if the FFX was somewhat linar,i still liked it.(Man...i loved the new Summon! There finally got it right,Before 9 and below summon was basiquely a spell having alot of animations, hits one and this is over. Now you REALLY summon someting to fight for you istend of a *spell like summon*)

Archael

Final Fantasy games are all trash now

it started getting bad around ff7, 8 and 10

and now it's all lol

SolidSnakeDog

Les't put this like this :  *FF's are better in 2D. 3D is trash for a FF, ruining his touch.*
Well...i actually pefer 2D version myself so...can't say i disagree.

This may be actually be a good reison wy the FF is losing his fun factor...being in 3D :!:

Dokurider

Final Fantasy wouldn't be so bad if they hired some decent writers and stop letting the developers write the story. How hard is it for a multi-billion dollar company to come up with a decent story? Or at least one that doesn't have characters I want to punch in the face, or feed them to a Behemoth legs first?

Hell, you don't even need to be good at storytelling, just follow the advice of your Kindergarten teacher: BE CREATIVE. USE YOUR IMAGINATIONS. I think that what people used to like the most about the old FF's. Sure, you guys use your imaginations for coming up for new battles systems, but how about getting some of that onto your settings? You can't go and say, "Well, we've done all the good ideas, so we just have to rehash everything untill blah blah blah". That's wrong. I'm pretty sure that your collective can come up with something different and refreshing. REFRESHING, remember that word. You don't have to come up with something complete original, just something REFRESHING. All you have to do is just sit down and brainstorm for a bit. Hell, I've just been sitting here typing for a half hour and I've come up with at least three different settings for FFXV.

- An Underwater RPG where Pre-WWII humans (before the invention of the Atom Bomb basically) wage war with merfolk, who have medival technology, but highly skilled in magic. Spoilers: The Humans lose. (Ok I cheated with this one. I've had this idea for months.)

- A microscopic world, and that's all I got.

- A modern RPG, with no magic, no monsters, no advanced technology. Just using stuff a civilian could ideally get his or her hands on.

If you can't do it yourselves, hire someone that can. Hell, I bet that most of the people here could come up with something creative for the next FF.

I can put up with annoying characters and plot holes, but I just wish SE would just make something not mind numbingly animu just this once.

z4x0rs

Quote from: "Samuraiblackbelt"I think they are running out of material, and I agree that anyone who never played the PSX FFs can enjoy the newer games more than we can.

Did anyone else lol at this statement?

Chim

The quality of the Final Fantasy games has remained more or less the same from all of the Final Fantasy games I've played, I think game quality is just getting better. Having gone through 4-10 (and having played 7-10 as they came out) I can say for myself that they are all decently made RPG's that cater rather well to different tastes as each comes out. As I go back and replay FF8 and 9 and think about 10, I find that yeah there was things I didn't like but there was always something to fill that hole.

Everyone has their one Final Fantasy game that they love and one that they fucking hate with the burning heat of a thousand suns but that's really just opinion. I thought FFVI/III was the worst in the series. Doesn't make me right it's opinion.

Kaijyuu

QuoteI thought FFVI/III was the worst in the series.
Quotefucking hate with the burning heat of a thousand suns

Of all the final fantasies I've played, I honestly think 1 is the worst. Worse than 8, even, which I despise but not totally.
  • Modding version: PSX

Bastard Poetry

Quote from: "Dokurider"Final Fantasy wouldn't be so bad if they hired some decent writers and stop letting the developers write the story.

I can put up with annoying characters and plot holes, but I just wish SE would just make something not mind numbingly animu just this once.

That whole post made me  :gay: for you, but especially those two lines. Where were you during Anti-Final Fantasy Week!? We needed more fire and brimstone in our posts!

In other words, well said, man. Well said.
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

philsov

QuoteWy is the final fantasy series keep geting worst to you?

Increased emphasis on graphics/movies with increased disregard to gameplay.  It started with the ungodly long summons of 7 and hasn't stopped.  In terms of innovation its still very much of a front runner, especially as a series, it's just that the most recent games have some incredibly glaring flaws that hold back the game.  

10 needed a scene skip function.  The gameplay and class system was actually very well done, but the final 10% of the game was weaksauce once Tidus learned Quick Hit, Yuna learned Holy, and they both had access to 1 MP weapon customization from monster capturing (pretty easy).  

12 needed to have a 4-person party (screw you guests~) and the license board was a bit weaksauce, but the battle system itself was incredibly innovative (I just wish the buffs/debuffs lasted longer), there was plenty of sidestuff to do, and the developers actually did a decent job with telling the story by using battles rather than cutscene after cutscene.

13, from my limited experience from like 5 hours of gameplay, has WAY too many cutscenes and lacks the option to change the setup for a single character (without making every permutation under the sun)
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Dokurider

Quote from: "Bastard Poetry"
Quote from: "Dokurider"Final Fantasy wouldn't be so bad if they hired some decent writers and stop letting the developers write the story.

That whole post made me  :gay: for you, but especially those two lines. Where were you during Anti-Final Fantasy Week!? We needed more fire and brimstone in our posts!

In other words, well said, man. Well said.

I was there, just, it took a while to really stoke a belly of fire.

SolidSnakeDog

Quote from: "philsov"
QuoteWy is the final fantasy series keep geting worst to you?

Increased emphasis on graphics/movies with increased disregard to gameplay. <=====So damn true.

13, from my limited experience from like 5 hours of gameplay, has WAY too many cutscenes and lacks the option to change the setup for a single character (without making every permutation under the sun)

Well...at less you can skip the cutscenes form 13 but still...some cutscenes just came at random.
And you can actually guess what will hapend most of the time making it a bit boring to watch.

Still id take FF12 Licence Board over the one 13 is using...at less this was no linar unlike 13.