• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 02:10:51 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Specific color palettes

Started by Xifanie, February 18, 2010, 10:29:22 am

mav

Awesome work, thanks MiKe. A couple things of note: the coat on the white one looks a little too saturated or something, the pants on the brown sprite are a tad bright, you accidentally put the yellow palette before the brown palette when you created the BMP. I'll reorganize the palettes in GraphicsGale before I upload the final file though. Thanks, man.

What other sprites do you are you planning or thinking about doing? We could knock this out faster if we don't end up working on the same sprites twice.

Again, a huge thanks for taking this on. It can be done quickly if we work together.

MiKeMiTchi

You'll going to fix mine? Well, thanks mav!
I'm planning to finish the female mediator first.
Then prolly the Chemists. :)

QuoteIt can be done quickly if we work together.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

mav

By the way, I should have asked earlier, did you make sure the RGB values are multiples of 4? That may become an issue when imported in game. PM if you need anything.

MiKeMiTchi

I usually don't mess with RGB values. :(
I only changed HSL values. So far, for all the sprites I tested, I didn't had an issue with it.
Or.. maybe I was just lucky.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Xifanie

Btw they're multiples of 8; each color has 5 bits (0-31) and if you convert it to 8bit then 256(8)/32(5) = 8 times larger.
Shishi already truncates the values. My palette editor only guarantees that what you see on the screen is what will be saved as spr and thus displayed in the game.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

mav

It's multiples of 8? Well, whatever it is, it sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. Once we get to the testing phase we'll be able to tell what's gone right and wrong.

mav

Female Wizard, feedback is welcome:

Cheetah

If you were ambitious you could mix up the colors for the collar around the necks and hands a bit. But I'm not sure it would really add much. Looks good to me.
Current Projects:

jimmyjw88

Yeah. Good too see that you changed her hat to brown for the yellow or it'll like previous priest, too much yellow ^^
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Xifanie

Might want to make a wiki page to see which spritesheets have been completed, and which needs to be done?
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

mav

Quote from: "Cheetah"If you were ambitious you could mix up the colors for the collar around the necks and hands a bit.
Hmm, I'll look into that. It's tough, but I'm sure it'll be doable.

Quote from: "Zodiac"Might want to make a wiki page to see which spritesheets have been completed, and which needs to be done?
I'll see if I can get to that this weekend; it'd definitely help for organization purposes.

mav

Alright, I'm in the process of revamping the male Priest, tell me what you think:

Cheetah

Current Projects:

jimmyjw88

Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

DeadManWalking

To help teach myself proper shading, I've decided to volunteer my efforts for this, I'm about halfway through the Male Black Wizard as we speak, I've finished with the sprites and I'm working on the portraits now.

Edit: Oh, bah.  Someone else has already done it.  Well, I'll finish it up and post it anyway, then work on Samurai and maybe Calculator

Second Edit: Here it is, I made the pants one solid color to help make it easier to distinguish which color they were if the need ever arose, and I made the red/green palettes more vibrant (the green looked a little yellow and the red looked a little purple) on both the portraits on the sprite itself.  If anyone likes it I'll post the whole sprite set.

mav

Not bad, not bad. Some of the colors are a tad bit bright, but this certainly a great start. If you're willing to help out, please do; I'll leave the Samurai to you.

Right now the only sprites completed are: male Ninja, female Ninja, female Priest, male Knight, female Knight, male Thief, and male Mediator. The male Wizard, female Wizard, and male Priest are done too, but haven't t been applied to the spritesheet. The next one I may work on is the female Thief.

DeadManWalking

March 25, 2010, 02:34:42 pm #76 Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:42:15 am by DeadManWalking
Okay, I think I've got the Male Samurai done, it was more annoying than the Wizard due to some colors sharing the face on both the portrait and sprite, but I think I got it.

[Images Removed]

DeadManWalking

March 25, 2010, 05:58:54 pm #77 Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:42:46 am by DeadManWalking
And here's the female Samurai

[images removed]

Xifanie

Your color choice is completely wrong.
I would advise you to use only color set from other existing sprites.

What currently happens is that you choose colors regardless of the rest of the sprite, creating way too strong colors. Then you add shading and in most of your sprites it ends up giving an horrible fluorescent effect. (ex: Male Samurai Portrait 2-8)

Also you can't afford to screw up the portrait just because you want the colors to fit the sprites. (ex: Female Samurai Portrait 3-6-7-8)

I'm pretty sure just picking colors from other sprites would help you a lot. You're one of those people that can't come up with their own colors... They're way too "lively" while FFT is neutral.

DeadManWalking

Well, I was trying to make them as distinct as possible, so no confusion would happen.  I'll take a look at them in game and tone the sprites/portraits down if I can.