• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 10, 2024, 05:12:44 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Kyousukeee's sprites ^^

Started by Kyousukeee, January 29, 2010, 01:49:02 pm

Kyousukeee

January 29, 2010, 01:49:02 pm Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:20:32 pm by Kyousukeee
Alucard is finally done =)

Thanks everyone for the comments that helped me finish this and special thanks to Smash for helping me fix the hair in the portrait .
I haven't tested it much in-game so if you find any weird animations let me know and I'll fix it .

Now moving to the next sprites . . .

Jon

Looks like Setzer from FF6. Not bad, however you posted this as a jpeg and not a png so the colors look sloppy. The file itself might look perfect in game and on your computer, but here the image looks a bit blurred. Can you please change it to a .png file and post it again? Keep it up btw.
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

SilvasRuin

I thought about Setzer too.

Looks like you're making good progress.  You've somehow avoided the messiness that new spriters tend to have.  The one major complaint I have is that the lining of the coat should not look that straight on the diagonal views.  The coat curves, so the lining should match up.

Vanya

Nice job so far. It would make a great Setzer or (with a little modification) his long lost brother, Alucard.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

mav

Whoa, this is surprisingly good. The only problem I see is that pixely mess right above the boots...what is that? All the other things have been mentioned: post PNGs (or compressed BMPs) if you can and curve out the lining on the coat. I suggest replacing the eyes with the meaner looking ones (I believe Rofel and Vormav have them), if you're really bored; they'll get this guy looking a little tougher, which should effectively counter the somewhat girly hair. You could also use the back of Elmdor's hair to fix this up, but that's up to you.

Great work.

Kokojo

Wow, Excellent work. I request to use this in CoP (That's gonna be perfect for chapter 2 !) :O

Seriously, I love black and gold, so you got me there.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

mav

By the way, the blacks and dark grays on your sprite are a bit harsh. You could replace the golds too, but they're alright. Definitely consider fixing those dark shades though (take from an existing sprite, if you didn't already). Good luck.

jimmyjw88

Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Kyousukeee

Hey , thanks for the comments
I'll update the images as soon as possible , I'm really lazy now ;p

@SilvasRuin
-The coat is linear on purpose , at first it was rounded but then I changed it , all sprites have rounded clothes but I prefer a more linear linning ( Eg. female summoner cape is way better and linear than the male summoner , which looks like a bunch of fluffy cotton in his back ).

@mav
-I'll take a look at the shades when I'm done , I'm already used to the colour scheme , the 'blacks' looks a bit alike but it's difciult to modify so many 'black' colours and keep it all dark and not gray ( I'm avoiding gray colours to be honest )
-The 'pixely mess' isn't a mess =p it's part of his boots , the top part . I'll add an image later , since most of my images are in my other pc or you can google an image to see it , since the space to do it is small it can't be seen perfectly but maybe in-game it'll look better .
-I won't change the eyes , I like it that way . I even wanted to make it 2 pixels height insted of 3 but it makes the character looks sleepy -_-
-I didn't use Elmdor hair because . . . well , Elmdor head looks square and small ( frontview ) and the back is short , actually the back hair is the same as the female sprites (Reis / Knight . . . )in the game . I want it to be longer and I don't want it to look like Elmdor at all .

@Kokojo
-Feel free to use it , no need to credit me or anything just don't claim it as your creation :) If you want to , I can give you the .gal version to use with graphicsgale , the layers are a real mess but it's easier to modify anything with it since several parts of the sheet are separeted ( hairs , gloves , clothes .... ) and you can make use of the parts you like for other sprites without having to cut it .
-I love black and gold too ^^

VampragonLord

The character as a whole simply looks MUCH too girly for the character its suposed to be. (hell, with some different coloring and tweaking it could be a female cannoneer)
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

SilvasRuin

Er, I don't think you understand.  The front facing diagonal view where the closer foot is taking a step forward is TOO straight.  You cannot justify that.  It goes against the shading you have for the coat.  It is mind-bendingly inconsistent.  You have a straight line up and down that just can't be a straight line, at least with such flat shading.

Smash

Actual sprite edits can help in many more ways than words alone. It can even help you practice from time to time.

I dunno why no one does that here.

jimmyjw88

I have to agree with Silvas. Its bit too straight and due to the flatness of the shading, it looks odd.

And yes, agree with Smash too. Its best to edit the sprite and see how it goes rather than just declining them with words when you haven't even test it yet.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

SilvasRuin

QuoteI dunno why no one does that here.
Because despite being able to notice problems the sprite has, I suck too much to be able to make them myself.  This guy's better than me, I'm sure, but that doesn't mean I can't still notice a problem area.

mav

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Silvas, I guess I should try to toss in an edit or two when I can.

As for your responses to my suggestions, Kyo, the eyes and hair are totally up to you, and I completely understand your desire to leave 'em be. As for the whole gray vs. black situation, all you have to do is fix the darkest black--or just figure out why it's darker than the standard outline/shadow shade. And do post an image of the boots, whenever you can; I think seeing what they're supposed to look like will help me understand 'em much more.

jimmyjw88

Yeah, post reference picture for us to understand more ^^

Kyousukeee

@Jimmyjw88 / Smash
-I never said I haven't tried , and in fact I have , but I didn't like it .
If anyone wants to use the sprites and change anything I don't mind .

@SilvasRuin
-Now I understood . I'll change it so it won't be a straight line , at first I thought you were talking about the idle position ;P

@mav
-That's how I started spriting , spoting what's wrong and trying to make it better . And now that you mentioned the outline/shadow stuff , I'll see what's wrong there . I actually didn't paid any attention to the colours in the outline -_-

Boots ^^

mav

Ah yes, the boots; I figured that was the style. My advice is to keep the golds and the whites/light grays separate: they blend together in quite a few poses, causing some awkwardness. You might be able to recolor Olan's boots, and make them work, but I don't know. You definitely need to separate the boots and the coat trim a little more, which will certainly help.

Great work, good luck.

jimmyjw88

Ah, alright then. Carry on ^^
As for the boot, I agree with mav. Either white or gold darker or separate them.

Jon

Hmm, Vamp smacked me up the head with his words "this can be a female cannoneer". Ha, change the coat red, change the shoes and hair just a tiny bit and throw a hat on "her" head, schazam I'm done. Male and female complete. However, I am making my own female Cannoneer, which is more or less my idea and work. I am no thief. Also, to change this thunder into lightning, down grade all the colors by 1 (change the blackest black which is totally bad to the second darkest one, then that color set up to the third darkest, so on...) and at the end you will have only one "gray" color which you said you was avoiding. If you don't get what I mean, I could post a version of it, because that is 2 minute work with Photoshop (or GG), but I am busy right now...
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!