• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.
 

FFVI Hardtype 1.2 (Updated February 3, 2012)

Started by Eternal248, November 10, 2009, 12:14:32 am

Eternal

November 10, 2009, 12:14:32 am Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:21:08 am by Eternal248
Final Fantasy VI (Known as Final Fantasy III when it first came out for the SNES) is probably my favorite Final Fantasy of all time (Tied with Tactics, of course.) However, it's not exactly... the most difficult of games. For years I've been searching for an editor that even an idiot like me could use to make the game a tad more difficult.

I stumbled upon the Final Fantasy VI Multi-Editor, a wonderful program that, much like the Patcher, is an easy to use tool to edit enemies, items, and other parts of the game. As a result, I've decided to use the Editor to attempt and create a hardtype version of Final Fantasy VI for the SNES.

Lunar IPS
http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

FFMaster

November 10, 2009, 02:53:05 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
If you can order Gau's Rages into alphabetical order, I would play this instantly. If you only did that, I would still grab the patch. If that is possible of course.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Bastard Poetry

November 10, 2009, 05:02:16 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
You have my support, and my heart.
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

philsov

November 10, 2009, 09:34:19 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
shotgunning stuff, I'll let you work on what's possible and stuff

reduce cooldown on Morph ability
Make Runic enemy-only/not work on white magic/?
Make tools scale better -- Edgar starts off as an auto crossbowing hoss, but eventually just succumbs to delibitator bitch, and Drill isn't much better than straight up melee, iirc.
Blitz - OP!  Make it weaker
Make Cyan's charge gauge increment faster
Blue Magic - reduce its MP cost
Sketch - somehow make it not glitch the game.  Reduce chances of Coronet + Fake Moustache + Control.

More edits:

Make the esper-level up bonuses a little more evened out -- give a good spread of multiple espers with the same bonuses so I'm not stuck rotating a single esper around depending on who's going to be getting the next level.

Specific fights... hm...

Make phantom train immune to phoenix down?
increase difficulty of the Sabin/Cyan waterfull piranha gauntlet
On the reunite and split up v. kefka, somehow make it so Edger can't solo entire soldier packs with a single bio blast.
SOMEHOW REDUCE ENCOUNTER RATE IN ZOSO #$R@#$%#@$
In the figaro tentacle boss at the start of WoR, make the fight no longer cheeseable with running shoes

Are the big things.  "Everything else harder" should suffice for the rest, though imo the Floating Island really doesn't need to be bumped up too much -- if you can make everything that level you will have my eternal <3.

Also!  Can you somehow make Shock (general Leo~) a Cyan swordskill?  Replace one of the crappy ones.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Archael

November 10, 2009, 10:33:43 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Bastard Poetry"You have my support, and my heart.

And my Axe!

Xifanie

November 10, 2009, 10:43:11 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
  • Modding version: PSX
Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Eternal

November 10, 2009, 11:30:26 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Quote from: "philsov"reduce cooldown on Morph ability
Make Runic enemy-only/not work on white magic/?
Make tools scale better -- Edgar starts off as an auto crossbowing hoss, but eventually just succumbs to delibitator bitch, and Drill isn't much better than straight up melee, iirc.
Blitz - OP!  Make it weaker
Make Cyan's charge gauge increment faster
Blue Magic - reduce its MP cost
Sketch - somehow make it not glitch the game.  Reduce chances of Coronet + Fake Moustache + Control.

More edits:

Make the esper-level up bonuses a little more evened out -- give a good spread of multiple espers with the same bonuses so I'm not stuck rotating a single esper around depending on who's going to be getting the next level.

Specific fights... hm...

Make phantom train immune to phoenix down?
increase difficulty of the Sabin/Cyan waterfull piranha gauntlet
On the reunite and split up v. kefka, somehow make it so Edger can't solo entire soldier packs with a single bio blast.
SOMEHOW REDUCE ENCOUNTER RATE IN ZOSO #$R@#$%#@$
In the figaro tentacle boss at the start of WoR, make the fight no longer cheeseable with running shoes

Are the big things.  "Everything else harder" should suffice for the rest, though imo the Floating Island really doesn't need to be bumped up too much -- if you can make everything that level you will have my eternal <3.

Also!  Can you somehow make Shock (general Leo~) a Cyan swordskill?  Replace one of the crappy ones.

Morph ability: Not quite sure how to edit it, since it's based on AP and all, but I'll look into it.

Runic I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I like Runic how it is now. It kind of forces you to time your spells well, and since a lot more enemies will be using magic now, it'll be able to see some more use.

Tools are definitely getting a nerf.

Blitz... oh Blitz. There are a few ways I could go about this. Either reduce Sabin's overall magic stats (since Blitz is somehow based on Magic) or reduce the power of the Blitzes themselves. Comments?

Cyan is definitely getting a Speed boost, but I'm not sure if that'll affect his gauge or not.

Blue Magic: Are there any specific spells in mind? I agree, though, that it's fairly expensive.

Sketch: There are a bunch of Glitch Fixes at Data Crystal, so I can see if one of them fixes the Sketch Glitch. I've already used the Evade Glitch Fix (say that 10 times fast).

Esper bonuses: I'm tempted to see if I can remove Esper bonuses all together, but I'm not sure how much that would nerf the party. Comments?

Phantom Train: OK, here's where I'll get flamed. I removed the Undead tag from a few of the enemies in the game (I'll go through and change them all later). I did this for a few reasons.

1) No Phoenix Downing your way through a battle.
2) They can have Regen properly.

However, although they've lost their tag, they'll still be weak to Holy. so for all intents and purposes, they're undead.

Heh, I have something in mind for the Piranha fight...

Edgar vs. Soldiers: I'm probably going to change Bio Blast so it just inflicts Poison or Sap.

Tentacle battle: Not sure I know what to do with this one yet.

Screenshots coming in a few... my desktop doesn't want to recognize my USB. =([/quote]
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

philsov

November 10, 2009, 11:55:25 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
I'd say reduce Sabin's overall magic stat to make him more of a pure musclehead type.

If you can somehow introduce character-based level ups I'd be all for the removal of the Esper system.  But if that's not possible, make the character's base stats a little more... pronounced and defined.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Eternal

November 10, 2009, 12:01:37 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Quote from: "philsov"I'd say reduce Sabin's overall magic stat to make him more of a pure musclehead type.

If you can somehow introduce character-based level ups I'd be all for the removal of the Esper system.  But if that's not possible, make the character's base stats a little more... pronounced and defined.

Well, I'm not too familiar with how much of an effect stats have in the game, so I'm leery about touching them. However, weapons/armor will be more character-specific now, which will certainly be a start, IMO.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Eternal

November 11, 2009, 04:13:41 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
OK, the enemy changes have been made! Included is the lik to the Final Fantasy VI Hardtype Version 1.0 patch. This doesn't include the equipment/spell changes (sans Meteor/Flare/Ultima being changed), but it should be a decent preview for those of you who are interested.

Please tell me if the patch works or not. You'll know it does if the Guards at the beginning don't fall in 1 hit and use Net. If you notice anything you think should be changed, post 'em here!

To use the patch, you'll need a clean Final Fantasy III SNES ROM, as well as Lunar IPS, which can be found here:
http://fusoya.eludevisibility.org/lips/.

Enjoy!

Final Fantasy VI Hardtype Version 1.0
http://www.sendspace.com/file/v28tmj
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kaijyuu

November 11, 2009, 06:39:14 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "Voldemort"
Quote from: "Bastard Poetry"You have my support, and my heart.

And my Axe!
And my bow!


wait we're doing this backwards aren't we



Also, name changes are rather silly. Make a translation hack if you want to do that.
I will curse you unto the seventh generation if you change Atma->Ultima, for example, and I'm certain other people out there have nostalgia about weird stuff like sons of submariners.


My only suggestion is to buff boss health drastically, but not make random battles last a ridiculously long time. The encounter rate in this game is high enough; making random battles last LONGER will only serve to frustrate.
  • Modding version: PSX

FFMaster

November 11, 2009, 06:42:35 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"My only suggestion is to buff boss health drastically, but not make random battles last a ridiculously long time. The encounter rate in this game is high enough; making random battles last LONGER will only serve to frustrate.

Agree with this completely. Don't make normal battles too long.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Eternal

November 11, 2009, 07:30:31 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Well, I was going to change Atma to Ultima, but if you guys don't want me to, then I won't.

As for random battles, they also got a health boost and smarter moves with some deadly combos. Bosses, however, will probably take a while to fell.

Also, some names such as Cactrot, Oscar, and Pugs have been changed. Sorry, but when I hear Cactrot I think of carrots, Oscar belongs in Sesame Street, and Pugs just make no sense whatso ever. =P
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kaijyuu

November 11, 2009, 07:44:25 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
My opinion is that gameplay and aesthetic patches should be separate. But that's just me :P


TBH difficult random battles would be fine if you lowered the encounter rate at the same time. I wouldn't mind a boss type random battle if I only fought one once in every room, rather than one every 4 steps.
  • Modding version: PSX

SilvasRuin

November 11, 2009, 08:00:08 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
I would personally like a translation fix as well.  Obviously poor translations annoy the crap out of me if I have to be subjected to it for the span of an entire game.

Eternal

November 11, 2009, 08:57:53 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Here were a few things I was going to change, translation-wise:

Mithril->Mythril
Tonic->Potion
Potion->Hi-Potion
Tincture->Ether
Ether->Hi-Ether
Revivfy->H Water
Antdot->Poisona (or Poisna, if it doesn't fit)
Remedy->Esuna
X-Zone->Banish
Doom->Death
Condemned->Doom
Qrtr->Demi2

I know there are more, though. Tell me if there are any changes you're ABSOLUTELY against. Note that I'm not touching the story AT ALL, which means character names will be left intact.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

beawulfx

November 11, 2009, 09:21:54 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
I think you should definitely do those simple/obvious translations for spells/items, it's your patch and if you are going to such lengths to change other aspects of the game why not throw in some nice aesthetic changes as well to make it more interesting for people who have played through the original so many times!

Anyway, I'll be tracking this for sure, good idea and good luck Eternal, it should be a fun playthrough :)
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Eternal

November 11, 2009, 09:24:54 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Yes, I think it'll be a very fun playthrough indeed! For any of you all who are playing through it, let me know how the battles are going! Feedback is always great. ^_^
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Wasabi

November 11, 2009, 09:42:57 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Wasabi
Buffffffffffffffff Cyyyyaaan's Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed...

And hasten his Charge Gauge! Replace the slots with Quadra Slash with Quadra Slice, and Quadra Slice with a buffed Shock! (Or, just remove Quadra Slash entirely and replace it with a debuffed Shock!).

I don't mind if Atma is renamed Ultima, to be honest.

Nerf Sabin's MA stat. Gogo + Blitz is pretty cool, and at 80-99 I believe Bum Rush only hits like, 8600+ or something.

Give Edgar's Bio Blast 100% hit Poison and Sap status, but zero damage. If 100% is too awesome, give it a substantially good hit ratio (if you can separate the status infliction between poison/sap, even better). Chainsaw is, what 1.5 times base damage with a chance to inflict death on the enemy? Comparing that with Drill, Drill is outclassed. Maybe make Drill slightly less buffed at 1.2 times base damage, but has a high chance of landing a critical hit (I think that's possible?).

Definitely nerf MP costs on Blue Magic, but "Traveler" might be a toughie, considering that it gets stronger/expensive with each step you take throughout the game. Not sure what to do with  that spell.

Anyway, <3

Eternal

November 11, 2009, 09:46:57 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Quote from: "Wasabi"Buffffffffffffffff Cyyyyaaan's Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed...

And hasten his Charge Gauge! Replace the slots with Quadra Slash with Quadra Slice, and Quadra Slice with a buffed Shock! (Or, just remove Quadra Slash entirely and replace it with a debuffed Shock!).

I don't mind if Atma is renamed Ultima, to be honest.

Nerf Sabin's MA stat. Gogo + Blitz is pretty cool, and at 80-99 I believe Bum Rush only hits like, 8600+ or something.

Give Edgar's Bio Blast 100% hit Poison and Sap status, but zero damage. If 100% is too awesome, give it a substantially good hit ratio (if you can separate the status infliction between poison/sap, even better). Chainsaw is, what 1.5 times base damage with a chance to inflict death on the enemy? Comparing that with Drill, Drill is outclassed. Maybe make Drill slightly less buffed at 1.2 times base damage, but has a high chance of landing a critical hit (I think that's possible?).

Definitely nerf MP costs on Blue Magic, but "Traveler" might be a toughie, considering that it gets stronger/expensive with each step you take throughout the game. Not sure what to do with  that spell.

Anyway, <3

Cyan's Katanas will probably boost his speed.

Sabin will soon be a muscle-head, if I can alter it in the Editor. If not, I'll nerf his Blitzes.

ALL of Edgar's tools are going to be changed. Flash/NoiseBlaster will probably affect allies/enemies; AutoCrossbow won't ignore Split Damage, BioBlaster will inflict Sap/Poison, Chainsaw will inflict Instant Death (maybe, not sure yet), Drill will do heavy single-character damage. Air Anchor/Defibulator will probably remain the same.

And yes, Blue Magic MP costs will be reduced.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817