• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

How do you figure out what job you'd like anyway?

Started by iopyud, November 02, 2009, 08:06:32 am

iopyud

November 02, 2009, 08:06:32 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by iopyud
Sure, we all had dreams when we were little, but it's a little different now.

I work a desk job, it's pretty stable, no overtime, no night shift, but fuck me.
I keep thinking it'd kick ass to have a job that lets you travel around the world in search of something like a movie,... of course there's nothing like that unless we're talking about those bastards in Discovery Channel.

Right now I can't figure out what I wanna do. Sure I already have some plans in the near future but nothing after that.

How do you figure out what job you'll like? Is there a psychological test or something? Or do you just go Courage Wolf and brainwash yourself with a dream you think is cool?

Aren't desk jobs boring? I'm not talking about skilled desk jobs like... programming or whatever. I'm talking about desk jobs anyone can do.
So ur wid ur rival adn u were fighting den wen he beat u ur holy stone glowed and spoke, it told u "Your soul will unite with my flesh" den u tell ur rival dat but ur rival said "No, that's just an ordinary rock"
THEN WHO WAS STONE?

DarthPaul

November 02, 2009, 09:55:17 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Well I got an education in art because I like art and wanted to make people smile with my talent. Sadly the recession sucks for my field so I have returned to college. Currently attending to be a radiographer. Why? I'm a little perverted I guess, and it's an allied health program.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Xifanie

November 02, 2009, 10:50:13 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: "iopyud"How do you figure out what job you'll like? Is there a psychological test or something? Or do you just go Courage Wolf and brainwash yourself with a dream you think is cool?
I've done plenty of psychological tests  and they only gave a very vague idea or what I should have aimed.

Honestly I can't even compare myself to what I was 4 years ago. I was way weaker, less logical, way less artistic, WAY less physical because of my chronic migraines.

My parents and grandparents told me to head in programming because I'm good with computers.

1- DO NOT LISTEN TO WHAT PEOPLE SAY, FORGE YOUR OPINION ON YOUR OWN.
2- DO NOT MIX HOBBIES AND WORK.

Nonetheless they were wrong. Programming for me is a hobby, and I can't stand doing more than 15 hours of coding per week. Else I burn out and stop coding for 4-6 weeks.

Note all your fields of interest.
For me they were:
- Education
- Physical exercise
- Training
- Logic
- Art
- Inventions

2 Years ago, I decided that later in my life, maybe 20 years after accumulating enough money I would start my own gym. But during those two years, I was formed to become a machinist (based on my parent's opinion again sadly). However machinists are normally underpaid and getting a decent job that isn't fucking boring is really hard. I thought I'd last 5 years with this formation, but in the end it was only for a summer.

And then... when was it. about 5 months ago I told myself: "FUCK IT". Then I decided to head into a business management class at college (3 years) to start my gym ASAP. That's what I want to do and I'm aware of how risky it is to start a gym and that's why I'm taking formation. ;)

And long as your dreams aren't too fancy, I say go for it.

Oh and if you can't find the job of your dreams... then create it!
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Archael

November 02, 2009, 11:53:45 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Zodiac is giving some great advice there

there is a HUGE difference between your childhood dream and the realistic job opportunities of the adult you grow to be

you have to take a good look at who you are NOW, and what you can stand doing NOW

my hobby is video game editing and design, all my friends want me to get into it, sure. but it's something I'm good at doing for fun, to relax, to express myself. I could NOT stand doing it as a job, with deadlines, etc

tl;dr zodiac is good advice

Kuraudo Sutoraifu

November 02, 2009, 12:45:16 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kuraudo Sutoraifu
Definitely don't constrain yourself to some standardized test, but there may be some wisdom to using them a guiding tool.  But again, do not restrict yourself to them.

I used to be the shipping coordinator for an electronics corporation (which I liked alot, and paid well) but right now I'm making my living as a delivery guy while trying to get a job as a philosophy professor at a university.

SilvasRuin

November 02, 2009, 01:29:54 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Quote1- DO NOT LISTEN TO WHAT PEOPLE SAY, FORGE YOUR OPINION ON YOUR OWN.
QuoteAnd long as your dreams aren't too fancy, I say go for it.
Quoteyou have to take a good look at who you are NOW, and what you can stand doing NOW
QFT

I feel those are the three most important statements in this thread so far.  I learned the first one the hard way.  The second, well you'll just be happier if it contributes to meeting a dream.  The third is sort of like the philosophy of Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean, and even if the philosophy was made famous by a movie, it is still correct.  You need to know what you can do and what you can't do, and I don't mean just in terms of ability.

Introspection is key.  Try thinking from time to time about what your motivations are for your actions, what you genuinely and consistently enjoy, and what things you wind up or will wind up growing tired of.

philsov

November 02, 2009, 01:36:01 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteAren't desk jobs boring? I'm not talking about skilled desk jobs like... programming or whatever. I'm talking about desk jobs anyone can do.

No, skilled desk jobs are pretty boring too after 6 months.  There's just a degree of repitition for the vast majority of jobs out there.  You really just have to cope with it.  I worked for two years during college as a graphics/mapmaker using some pretty awesome software:

I can crank stuff like that out with no problem at all.  But usually the company only needs a few key maps and the occasional database update.  Eventually I just made palettes for said key maps and the whole deal became rather hum-dum.  I was still staring at a computer screen the entire time I was there.  Cool subject matter, lame ass work environment, shitty boss, but awesome coworkers.  

QuoteHow do you figure out what job you'll like?

It's a combination of subject matter and work environment, imo.  Say you're a chemist.

This means that you're beyond qualified for the tasks of anything from running % protein tests for the state agricultural dept. every single day, nonstop -- to the research side of things and trying to develop new (more effecient, cheaper, higher yield) methods of oil refinement.  

Sure, they're both chemistry.  The latter is less repetitive (though all testing fields are repetitive to a degree), requires research, and probably pays better.  

But, the hypothetical state agriculture dept has no real operating hours (come and go as you please, just get your 40 in per week) and a social environment (because everyone can do the protein test with their eyes closed), while the oil refiner is very much of a one-man army and requires 8-5 M-F.

The sad part is the work environment is a selling point for a lot of people (including myself) when it comes to job selection, but you'll never have any clue about it until you already have your foot in the door.  

Though I will say this: SPECIALIZE.  Either get a college degree or go to trade school.  Ancedotally speaking, there's a 95+% chance your job/career will be different that what you explicitly studied for.  At the very least, a degree/certification will tell employers that you are trainable.  

imo, pick up the sunday paper and cruise the internet for a while, and just look at everything that's out there.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Zuka

November 02, 2009, 02:26:43 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zuka
my feelings are pretty simple on the matter, I spent years waiting tables and realized when I stopped that it might very well have been my calling, I don't necessarily want to wait tables all my life but I really like the fast paced and high pressure environment of working in a restaurant, some day I might like to own one but for now I want to find something well paying in a restaurant and see if maybe just maybe I can still be a rock-star.

What I'm getting at though is that all i had to find was the right environment, and the specific work didn't matter to me as much anymore, now I cook, do dishes, manage, wait tables, prep, whatever, I just like the high pressure fast paced life of restaurants, and I think that's what it all boils down to, do you fall or thrive under pressure? Do you like fast paced or rather predictable, when you find the right combination I think you'll find that what type of job it is exactly isn't as important as whether or not you enjoy the life it provides you with.

Samuraiblackbelt

November 02, 2009, 03:05:01 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
QuoteI keep thinking it'd kick ass to have a job that lets you travel around the world in search of something like a movie,... of course there's nothing like that unless we're talking about those bastards in Discovery Channel.

I have a relative who has a job finding places to use in scenes in movies.

also, seeing as how I'm not out of highschool yet, I can't really give you any advice, except if you don't enjoy your job, even if you make tons of money, it's a crappy job
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

philsov

November 02, 2009, 03:35:37 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quote from: "Zuka"I think you'll find that what type of job it is exactly isn't as important as whether or not you enjoy the life it provides you with.

This.  So much this.

Dokurider

November 02, 2009, 06:51:00 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
Lucky bastards. The only job I've mananged to get is being a temp.

dwib

November 02, 2009, 07:55:33 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
Quote from: "philsov"
Quote from: "Zuka"I think you'll find that what type of job it is exactly isn't as important as whether or not you enjoy the life it provides you with.

This.  So much this.
Exactly. As long as you don't absolutely hate your job and it pays the bills, it is a good one.
you have to realize it's a JOB, it's not a HOBBY and it's not for FUN.

As for myself, I am interested in going into medicine not just because I enjoy helping people and have always been interested in biological sciences, but because I am in love with the respect involved with being a doctor. Respect is the most important thing in any intrapersonal situation (relationships, first impressions, etc) for me and that factor attracts me to the field more than anything else.

DarthPaul

November 02, 2009, 08:15:38 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quoteyou have to realize it's a JOB, it's not a HOBBY and it's not for FUN.

I would like to interject that if you find a job you like you will never work a day for the rest of your life.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Kaijyuu

November 03, 2009, 01:27:20 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
1. Find something you like to do and can do for hours upon end.
2. See if you can make money doing that.
3. ???
4. Profit!
  • Modding version: PSX

SilvasRuin

November 03, 2009, 04:43:04 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
So long as you don't burn yourself out, Darthpaul.  While I agree, burnout is something to be cautious of.

iopyud

November 03, 2009, 07:02:30 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by iopyud
Shit. You guys got real life battle experience.

I can tolerate my job, time flies when I do it.

It's just that I have plans on migrating, it's very possible, I have relatives there, the means and the knowledge about the procedure and I wouldn't want to have regrets.

Anyway, it seems that if I just don't "hate" my job and the atmosphere is cool for me and it pay the bills, I'll be fine.

I'm eyeing culinary arts (the place I'm migrating to recognizes vocational schools as higher level education) right now.

Of course, a "real man's job".... a blue collar job that requires skill isn't bad too.

Really, there's too much great advices given here I couldn't elaborate on them all.

PS: I do have a college degree btw. It's in line with International Studies (useless shit)
So ur wid ur rival adn u were fighting den wen he beat u ur holy stone glowed and spoke, it told u "Your soul will unite with my flesh" den u tell ur rival dat but ur rival said "No, that's just an ordinary rock"
THEN WHO WAS STONE?

philsov

November 03, 2009, 09:31:10 am #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quote from: "darthpaul"I would like to interject that if you find a job you like you will never work a day for the rest of your life.

I call bullshit on you, good sir.  

Waking up when I need to SUCKS.  Commuting SUCKS (15 minutes, sadface I know).  There are days I don't mind it, and then there are some where I don't want to wake up, don't want to drive, don't want to mess around in the office and knock out a lot of the tasks at hand.  I don't care how much anyone enjoys doing anything, there will always be some point when they just want to do something else, if only for the morning or the day or whatever -- but the shit needs to get done and you're the one to do it.

DarthPaul

November 03, 2009, 01:39:32 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "philsov"
Quote from: "darthpaul"I would like to interject that if you find a job you like you will never work a day for the rest of your life.

I call bullshit on you, good sir.  

Waking up when I need to SUCKS.  Commuting SUCKS (15 minutes, sadface I know).  There are days I don't mind it, and then there are some where I don't want to wake up, don't want to drive, don't want to mess around in the office and knock out a lot of the tasks at hand.  I don't care how much anyone enjoys doing anything, there will always be some point when they just want to do something else, if only for the morning or the day or whatever -- but the shit needs to get done and you're the one to do it.

What if you work in a beer distillery?

philsov

November 03, 2009, 09:56:50 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov

doesn't matter.

iopyud

November 04, 2009, 07:03:08 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by iopyud
This topic is awesome.
THEN WHO WAS STONE?