• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 09:29:14 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Questions concerning what is or isn't possible

Started by Raze, September 29, 2009, 12:26:43 am

Raze

September 29, 2009, 12:26:43 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Raze
Hey, all. I'm very new to some of the more elaborate aspects of hacking a game but am eager to learn given the large number of tools available. Before I get my hopes up and bury myself in all the more technical parts of this hacking business, I hope you all don't mind answering a few questions I have:

For one, one of the things that got me excited about hacking the game is the possibility of importing characters and races from other games I enjoy playing, in particular the races from FFTA. I understand that one has to give up a "spare" character's portrait and sprite in order to put new ones into the game, and so I ask: is there enough "extra" characters in this game to support seven or eight new sprites of, say, several of the Moogle Jobs from FFTA. Adding to that, is the work involved with making these sprites especially time consuming enough that it would be impractical to make unique portraits and sprites of several new generic units?

I appreciate any answers I get on the subject.

Vanya

September 29, 2009, 11:14:28 am #1 Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:32:01 pm by Vanya
I doubt it would be a problem as there are quite a few unused and duplicate jobs and sprites in the game.
Just realize that if you create them as special units they'll have access to all the normal jobs and their special job will replace Squire.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

SilvasRuin

September 30, 2009, 02:19:15 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
If you want to actually "add" a race, the only decent way to accomplish it is to arrange the job tree in a way that you can make the two different genders into different races, and try to further branch it by fiddling with job requirements and limiting the units that can fulfill those requirements.  With some VERY creative arrangements, I can see four races at the very most.  You might just want to do as Vanya said and use special characters for other races, but then their sprite would never change.

Raze

September 30, 2009, 09:14:01 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Raze
That was something I was going to get around to asking some time, concerning the sprite changing. I take it special characters are locked into their sprites the entire time and there's no way to hack them into changing their sprites as they change job?

I can't see that being too big a problem, though, as the time it would take to make sprites and portraits for every class just for one character probably wouldn't be worth it.