• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 14, 2024, 05:08:34 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

I'm trying to make JP Boost innate

Started by Tzepish, April 27, 2008, 02:52:49 pm

Tzepish

April 27, 2008, 02:52:49 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Tzepish
Hey everyone... I'm new to FFTactics hacking, and I've played around a bit with FFTPatcher, so I know a little bit about how this works... with that background, here's what I'd like to accomplish:

I'd like to make JP Boost permanent and innate - you'll always gain JP as if you had JP Boost equipped.  The reason being that I feel this ability actually makes the game less fun - it's so good that most of the time, the optimal choice is to have it equipped, at the expense of every other ability for that slot.  Getting rid of JP Boost should make the game more fun in that you'll basically gain another ability slot that is seldom used throughout the game...

That said, what's the best way to accomplish this?  I can think of a few ways to handle this conundrum:

1.)  Make JP Boost Innate for all classes, remove it from the Squire ability list, and rename it to something like "Dummy". The problem with this is that I'd have to figure out what to do with classes that already have four innate abilities, such as Dragonkin.

2.)  Get the formula for JP Boost (is it double JP? 175%? - whatever it is), then adjust all JP costs downward to match, then remove JP Boost from the Squire, change its effect to nothing, and rename it "Dummy".

or what I'd really like to do, but I suspect is not currently possible:
3.)  Add the JP Boost effect to every ability (including blank slot), then remove JP Boost from Squire and rename it "Dummy".

Number 3 is how I solved this exact same problem for Sprint Shoes in Final Fantasy 6.

Anyway, any insights out there?

Kenshin72

April 27, 2008, 03:15:19 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kenshin72
I just removed it from all skill lists and then put it as innate for all jobs.
For the classes with four innates I  just replaced ones that are useless to me.

Lydyn

April 27, 2008, 03:32:34 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
My suggestion would be to remove the ability all together and lower the required JP to level job classes up, since when you get a higher level in a job class you acquire more JP on whole. I think at level 8 without JP Boost you gain 39 JP per action, so...

Of course, I didn't do this, but it's not my preference to null the skill. :P

Austin

April 27, 2008, 05:24:50 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
I found it easiest to just go through the ability list and cut the jp costs by half, making jp up innate on everybody would be more of a hassle imo.
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

April 27, 2008, 05:45:38 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
If you'd want to make it the nearest "innate" possible you'd have to cut down all abilities cost to 2/3 and job level requirements to 2/3 too.

1/2 is excessive. ;o

Then just remove Gained JP Up from all skillsets.

Other way is to give Gained JP Up to everyone and sacrifice one of Reis' innates; Mime doesn't matter though.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Cheetah

April 27, 2008, 09:18:16 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
This is a very good idea for the exact reasons you stated. Though I have to agree with Zodiac's solution.

The only other comment I have is kind of a wish list thing. I think it would be awesome if attacking or using the main job skills of a character gave you boosted JP, but if you used the secondary job skills you would just earn normal JP. Thus encouraging the use of skills of the primary job, plus it is kind of logical in terms of a job system.

But it will never happen.
Current Projects:

Legionofdrake

April 14, 2009, 10:58:49 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Legionofdrake
eh the game isnt that good with Jp up i mean when you dont have it, it makes you train more, if you want the game easy whyd ont you just change ramza squire class to like 500 mutiplayers and like 6 growth for his stats XD uber rape its a fun quick 2 hour game this way i mean with jp up for me it just ruins the game thats why i love 1.3 so much

Kourama

April 14, 2009, 11:06:48 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
I just gave Gained JP Up to all the jobs except for the default job. Most of the time the default job has decent growth rates anyway so you'll get your JP by using it regularly, not to mention the spillover JP from other characters on their default jobs.

Kaijyuu

April 15, 2009, 12:32:38 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
I gave it to all characters, and removed Reis's innate invite (stuck it on the best bag instead, though I know it's not really the same).

I plan to go through the game a couple times to see if this overpowers the player too much. If so, I'll just shuffle around JP costs and possibly raise the requirements for job advancement.
The original pretty much made you use gained JP up for the whole game. Even then it took a ludicrous amount of time to master every job. It's not so much reducing difficulty, and more reducing tedium.

Vanya

April 15, 2009, 10:56:25 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Or you could ask one of the AsM hackers to make it into a hack, but really the most efficient way to do it is to removeit from all skill sets and then reduce all JP cost by the % that JP boost would have increased JP gains.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯