• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

May 23, 2024, 10:06:52 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

I got two questions....for now...

Started by Oblivion, March 21, 2009, 07:52:59 am

Oblivion

March 21, 2009, 07:52:59 am Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 12:37:59 pm by ehrgeiz20
1. Can you add sprites without replacing them to WOTL?

2. I want to make a character like this:

Character: Male Knight (generic)
Command: Holy Sword

How do I do this?
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Kaijyuu

March 21, 2009, 10:27:09 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
1. No
2. FFTPatcher. Check downloads on the main page of the site.
  • Modding version: PSX

Oblivion

March 21, 2009, 12:09:32 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"1. No
2. FFTPatcher. Check downloads on the main page of the site.

1. I thought so...
2. I have FFT patcher... all of them and the text editor doesn't work and the other link everyone has given me for the new one is broken. If that's isn't what you were talking about, then please explain.

philsov

March 21, 2009, 12:30:33 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
you need help?

really? IN THE HELP FORUM?

ffs, descriptive titling please.

And why isn't fft patcher working?  Are you running into an error?  what's the error?  we need some info.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Oblivion

March 22, 2009, 03:43:52 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "philsov"you need help?

really? IN THE HELP FORUM?

ffs, descriptive titling please.

And why isn't fft patcher working?  Are you running into an error?  what's the error?  we need some info.

what i'm trying to make a boss chacracter that happens to be a generic knight. i'm trying to make his command holy sword without changing the skill set for the knight class itself.

Kaijyuu

March 22, 2009, 05:22:01 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Patcher. There's an entd editor in it that lets you change the units within battles. You can give any unit any skill set there.

Oblivion

March 22, 2009, 09:10:47 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"Patcher. There's an entd editor in it that lets you change the units within battles. You can give any unit any skill set there.

Oh... I see it now.

Now I have another question. How do I change one generic charcacters sprite without altering the others. For example I want to give Ladd, Lavian, Alicia, and a few other characters a different appearance and skill set without altering the skill set of a squire and knight (note that they are still allies (not guests) and not enemies.)

I had another question but i forgot...

philsov

March 22, 2009, 10:16:06 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
impossible.

you'd have to give them a unique special class (which can be identical to the standard knight/squire in every way) for them to retain their sprite throughout their job changes.

Oblivion

March 23, 2009, 11:56:01 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "philsov"impossible.

you'd have to give them a unique special class (which can be identical to the standard knight/squire in every way) for them to retain their sprite throughout their job changes.

is that possible with melonhead's programs?

Tea

March 23, 2009, 12:03:12 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Tea
yes, fftpatcher.

Oblivion

March 23, 2009, 12:37:22 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "Tea"yes, fftpatcher.

ok thanks.

I remebered my question! I would i make the special job in fftpatcher?

philsov

March 23, 2009, 12:49:57 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
you click on the Job tab.

Oblivion

March 23, 2009, 01:16:34 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "philsov"you click on the Job tab.

would I have to replace a job?

philsov

March 23, 2009, 01:22:19 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
yup.

There are some classes that are unused, gamewise (Cardinal, Arch Duke, Arch Witch) come to mind.  If you mess with their sprites however there may be a nasty ripple effect, but it's slight progress and you can cross that bridge when you get there -- possibly by forcing the original sprites around (ENTD) so the cutscenes aren't disturbed in the process, dunno.  It might eek into event editing territory to complete the task.

Azrael

March 24, 2009, 05:30:24 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Azrael
Hello! I am new, and have been lurking about your forums for about 2 weeks now... I hope no one minds if I insert my question here, because I've been searching for an answer and this thread is the closest thing I've seen to it...

Anyways, so I've been playing 1.3 (amazing work, by the way - love it!!), and have FFTPatcher, TacText, Shishi, CDMage, etc.. played around with these utilities a bit, and thus far, have managed to basically remake Ramza in my game successfully, complete with new sprite, skillset, stats, job name, and descriptions. I'm mostly pleased...

But.. now I want to try and make my team all uniques, rather, to start, at least turn one generic into a special class (in theory, I imagine if I know how to do one, I can figure out how to do four...). This is the only thing I can't figure out at the moment.. I know how to change a job's skillset, stats.. whatever, but how do I make a generic on my roster either A) change into a job that isn't normally available on the job wheel, or B) Make a generic into a NPC / Special class, i.e. cardinal, duke, or Arc Witch...?

Basically, what I want is to make a generic wizard on my roster instead a 'Sorceress' and give her my own custom All Magic skillset...
Really though, I'd even be happy if I could just change the sprite, without changing it for all of the generics...

Also, what ARE the safe jobs for editing purposes like this...?

philsov

March 24, 2009, 05:54:39 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Quotebut how do I make a generic on my roster either A) change into a job that isn't normally available on the job wheel, or B) Make a generic into a NPC / Special class, i.e. cardinal, duke, or Arc Witch...?

I don't believe A is an option. You change jobs by toying on the job wheel.  Thus, you can't change into a job not on the job wheel.  Sounds rather cyclic, but, well, it is.

B however should be a possibility... at least somewhat.  You can give yourself up to 7 generic/specials at the beginning of the game... I forget which event they are generated in (I think right before Dorter 1?), but you should be able to fiddle in that ENTD and instead of getting 3 male squires, 2 female squires, 1 male chemist, and 1 female chemist... all with crap JP and such, you can now give yourself a healthy roster of specials (all of which replace the squire class, so wizard will be redundant for the sorceress, but there's no avoiding that)

Safe jobs... dunno.  I'll let someone else answer that one.

Kaijyuu

March 24, 2009, 06:02:00 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
ENTD #102 would be the one with your generic units. Dunno if those are the ones you are given at the beginning of the game, though; could just be placeholders and the real units are given to you by the event. I didn't test it.

And AFAIK there are no "safe" jobs, at least not for ones with proper sprites in the formation screen. You'll have to replace one, possibly by consolidating Agrais' or Rafa's.

Azrael

March 24, 2009, 06:21:45 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Azrael
Wow, thanks for the insightful input, Philsov - and a speedy reply is always welcome as well ;)

As per your suggestion, I began looking around in ENTD, but oddly enough could only find one event for dorter (???), and it's one of the first battles, alright (algus present)... couldn't find the generics, so I looked around more.

It's not SEQUENTIALLY before dorter (in the list, that is), but the military academy scene has 6 generics, save for the two knights... are these the ones you are referring to? And if so, how do I name them..? I see the drop down, but... do I somehow use TacText and a blank slot..??

Also, (forgive my mini-barrage of questions..) how might I go about changing the sprite for a job not on the main sprite sheet, like, say, the arc witch (or is she on there..? If so, which sprite??) ... or, if I were to use one that's already there, like the Cardinal.. how do I force his proper sprite in ENTD? I mean, I get the idea, in theory.. but if I'm replacing the Cardinal's sprite, am I not removing the original from availability...? I'm not sure I follow on how to do this properly.

EDIT:

Allow me to rephrase, also.. what I meant by 'safe jobs' are the unused ones, available for toying with, w/o affecting other in-game encounters. Keep v1.3 in mind. I'm aware as well, that the arc witch IS in fact in use (an apparently immortal at that O_O).

Thanks again for any input.

philsov

March 24, 2009, 07:21:55 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
event 102 doesn't look like it.  I mean, I don't think it connects.  Send a PM to sentinal blade, I know the opening generics in SoR are hacked into, he can probably help you in that alley.

As for naming them, yes, find a "blank" slot and give a name to the same address in tactext.  Or select from other greatnesses like Rokofare and Wezaleff.

Sprite selection is a clear option in the entd.  Very first option once a unit slot is selected, to be specific.

And define "encounters".

QuoteI mean, I get the idea, in theory.. but if I'm replacing the Cardinal's sprite, am I not removing the original from availability...?

If spriting selection is anything like job modification, yes.  There's a finite amount of space and it's all used up.  If there's a lot of 256 sprites available for selection (00 -- FF, I guess) but the game only has 200 sprites (no clue!), then that means you can add on 56 sprites with little concern.  Theoretically, of course.  Check out the spriting forum who knows a damn about that sort of thing.

Azrael

March 24, 2009, 09:53:43 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Azrael
By encounters, I meant battles... I was wondering which classes are available for edit w/o affecting other in-game units.

As for the generics... thanks for the tips. I'll have to hit up Setinalblade.

...is there any other way of doing this (making an NPC out of a generic) that doesn't require me to start a new file...?

:(