• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 04, 2024, 04:27:29 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Event Compiler Issues

Started by Madmartigan, March 05, 2009, 05:55:42 pm

Madmartigan

March 05, 2009, 05:55:42 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Madmartigan
I am having a problem with the event compiler where it seems to be taking too long to compile large files. I have tested it with success using only the first Orbonne Monastery event, but when I try to compile the complete TEST.EVT text from an un-hacked FFT ccd file, I don't get any response from Event_Compiler_2.01b.exe. It seems to be running, as I cannot access the TEST.EVT file after running the compiler and my computer also starts breathing really heavy. I'm new to this so I may be doing something fundamentally wrong, or perhaps there are known issues with the compiler?

I'm using this:
http://www.ffhacktics.com/downloads/Eve ... mpiler.rar

And running windows vista  :roll:

EDIT: I just tried compiling an edited event.txt file (the Orbonne event that unpacked with the program) and realized that it didn't change the TEST.EVT file size or affect events after Orbonne. I must have the wrong idea about how this works and probably don't need to decompile/compile huge chunks of text...?

Xifanie

March 05, 2009, 06:26:06 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
pastebin your event.txt.

PS: The size of TEST.EVT isn't supposed to change.

http://www.ffhacktics.com/pastebin/
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Kokojo

March 05, 2009, 06:28:20 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
You have an error in your file, do ctrl-alt-del once, go to running process and you'll see so much Event_complier2 trying to run that you will cry. Terminate all of them and post your event.txt

or

Event_compiler2 compile event.txt, not test.evt, what are you trying to compile and how?
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Madmartigan

March 05, 2009, 06:47:33 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Madmartigan
Here's what I'm doing:
1. using CDmage, I get the TEST.EVT file from the FFT ccd file and put it in the directory with my compiler/decompiler
2. Run the decompiler and generate the text into "PSX Events.txt", creating a 3860KB file (presumably with every event in FFT?)
3. A.Edit (or not) and B.copy/paste text into events.txt in any order
4. Run the compiler, choking my computer. (only 1 instance is running) and get nothing

Well, as I was typing this, I finally got it to at least throw an error.

QuoteAccess violation at address 00404752 in module
'Event_Compiler_2.01b.exe'. Read of address 050000F7

Like I said, I was able to do this successfully with the small Orbonne event file that unpacked with the program, making edits in text, sound etc., but I am unsure of how to edit other events without using the huge text file that comes from TEST.EVT

Kokojo

March 05, 2009, 06:52:25 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Are you only using modifying one event at the time ?

Because thats the way to do it. Modify only one event at the time and when you are done, make backups.

Madmartigan

March 05, 2009, 07:01:28 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Madmartigan
Quote from: "Kokojo"Are you only using modifying one event at the time ?

Because thats the way to do it. Modify only one event at the time and when you are done, make backups.

YES! This is what I want to do and did not know I COULD do!
So.. how is this done?

:?:

Excuse my ignorance, but I've been at this for a while, taking on sprites, events, text edits all at once. This is the only thing I've hit a wall on so far, thanks for everyone's help!

Kokojo

March 05, 2009, 07:10:20 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Take the event you want to edit from PSXEVENT.txt (the big file)

Copy paste it in event.txt, don't forget the header (with offsets), and start editing. Then run the compiler, wait a second, import it into your iso via CDMAGE or something and voila.

Madmartigan

March 05, 2009, 07:17:33 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Madmartigan
Completely awesome.

I see where I was going wrong now and although I don't know how to use offsets yet, I can look into that on my own. If anyone has a link that would help me I'd appreciate it though. Thanks!