• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 06:07:53 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Generic character generation

Started by whelkman, February 26, 2009, 02:05:08 pm

whelkman

February 26, 2009, 02:05:08 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by whelkman
I am curious as to the behavior of Final Fantasy Tactics' generic character generator, particularly the version used to create the initial six generics. I didn't find much through searching, but many threads that came up were so dense that I could have easily missed something.

So far I've just done some preliminary memory watching. It seems the seed is effectively set upon dismissing Ramza's "Why..." dialogue while he stands near the church rear. However, this seed is stored somewhere and not referenced for character creation until the female knight bringing news of the Gariland upheaval turns around and takes a few steps.

I probably can't go much further with memory watching, so I'll try my hand at setting up breakpoints or trace log and deciphering MIPS assembly. From what I read, I'll be wanting the pSX emulator for this task. My next actions are to find the subroutine that creates the characters and the seed it acts upon.

LastingDawn

February 26, 2009, 02:10:21 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
You're referring to the six normal generics, correct? They are generated in the event themself, they are forced secretly joining by said event. Their brave and names are random is all.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

whelkman

February 26, 2009, 02:15:16 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by whelkman
I am interested in the specific routines that create their names and stats. If I understand you correctly, I need to analyze the specific Gariland School event to find the routines. Is this correct? Thanks for the reply.

LastingDawn

February 26, 2009, 02:25:42 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Yep, that should be it, I know Zodiac made a hack some time ago that changed the variables of brave and faith, as the user saw fit, in the random range. You might want to check there? For names though... I have no idea.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

SentinalBlade

February 26, 2009, 07:57:08 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Is there a reason your looking for names? if you want to give a generic unit a specific name, that can be done in FFTPatcher. even new names with the newest text editor.

Its all held in the event. more or less before the event starts.open up the patcher, and look for gariland, the data is held there.

whelkman

February 26, 2009, 09:23:56 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by whelkman
I'm interested in the actual behavior of the randomizer, not in making specific changes.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check FFTPatcher out. The pSX debugger is rough.

DarthPaul

February 26, 2009, 09:33:05 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I would be nice to have the ability to edit the randomizer to make some names less common or to add new names to it.

I think this is an are worth a bit of research.

I will do my part, but I doubt I will find anything.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die