• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 02:26:27 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Innate Two Swords and Two Hands limitation/glitch

Started by nates1984, January 17, 2009, 04:08:47 am

nates1984

January 17, 2009, 04:08:47 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by nates1984
There are some limitations to giving Two Swords and Two Hands innate to a single job. Two Hands will function properly, and Two Swords will as well to a certain extent. When you do this using the Best Fit option will only equip one sword. You can still manually equip a second one with no problem. However, if enemies have their weapon slot(s) set to random then they will only equip one sword. The obvious work-around is to manually set a weapon in each hand, but that has obvious draw backs.

So yeah, trying to give a job both of those is totally fucked. Has anyone found out why that doesn't work? Can something like this be fixed with an ASM hack, or has anyone found a fix?

I'm guessing there is some kind of check ran against abilities to see what can be equipped, and my guess is that it reads Two Hands first and then doesn't continue.

Anyway, it's fucking lame.

MagiTek v1.0

January 17, 2009, 09:30:08 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MagiTek v1.0
Which one's first? Two hands or Two Swords? Have you tried switching them? If so then it's probably an index issue and I can't help with that.

DarthPaul

January 17, 2009, 09:46:54 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Why would you do that though it doesn't make much sense.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Dormin Jake

January 17, 2009, 11:57:27 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Makes sense if he's going for a sort of Diablo II Barbarian type character, some kind of powerful melee character that is equally proficient dual wielding as s/he is toting around a two-handed axe or something.  

Still, doubling up two hands with two swords does seem a little excessive, as things like axes and spears either are or can be made "forced 2 hands," meaning you could just up their WP to make them seem like crushingly powerful, heavy things, without the glitches.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

nates1984

January 17, 2009, 05:20:20 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by nates1984
Yeah, I tried switching them. Index issues are something overly complicated to deal with?

And it does seem excessive to give a class both of them... in vanilla with vanilla items and vanilla classes. Small arms in my patch develop obvious deficiencies towards the end of the game, and without Two Hands the class is left with restricted offensive options while retaining their defensive weakness. It doesn't help the class has the Draw Out skillset, which I'm trying to give an MP cost, and the Samurai swords can't be found in the shop and aren't seen in large quantities. Plus magic is no joke anymore so all the melee classes needed to step it up, otherwise there's no point in even having melee characters (outside of Paladin, and only in a damage sponge capacity).

I could give it a 0 JP cost and up the WP on the weapons a tad bit to make up for the lost ability slot if nothing else I suppose.

While I have a thread going, has anyone else noticed that Draw Out abilities don't play well with MP costs?

Archael

January 17, 2009, 05:43:57 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
BARBARIAN WW RARRRRR(99999999999