• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 09:03:03 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

I want a straight answer

Started by Samuraiblackbelt, January 04, 2009, 06:19:14 pm

Samuraiblackbelt

January 04, 2009, 06:19:14 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
ok,the people on the gamefaqs board never gave me a straight answer
so I'm hoping you guys are better

IS dycedargs elder brother real?
and if he is;how do I get to him
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

Vanya

January 04, 2009, 06:28:29 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
It is a conjecture from some inconsistent text in the game. There's some text that says something to the effect that Ramza is the youngest of four brothers. And I think Alma's description says the same thing which makes sense if the word brother was supposed to read siblings. They probably screwed up the text for the 2 entries during translation. BTW there exists no sprite for a missing older brother in the game's data anyway. However he may make an appearance or two in some of our projects eventually. In fact I think there's a custom sprite for him on the main site under the name Deb (Dycedargs Elder Brother).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zalge

January 04, 2009, 06:30:26 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
I think that he may have died in the same war that Balbanes died at the end of. It would make sense, I guess.

Zozma

January 04, 2009, 06:30:56 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i updated it with a picture that actually made him look older than dycedarg, its not on the main page tho.
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Samuraiblackbelt

January 04, 2009, 06:33:36 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
thanks
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

The Damned

January 04, 2009, 06:54:33 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
There's no such thing as "Dycedarg's Elder Brother".

Given the horrible translation that we all have to admit the U.S. version of FFT got even though we love, it's not really surprising that said crappy translators would probably something as simple as a translation of "Defeat Elder Brother Dycedarg" and turn into the nonsensical "Defeat Dycedarg's Elder Brother".

This isn't to say that it's impossible that was a fifth Beoulve child--well, it is impossible given select entry and certain various in-game clues (such as the very beginning scene with Balbanes' death). However, it's pretty easy to see that the only "hint" in the game is a mistranslation given that even if he existed, defeating Dycedarg's Elder Brother has nothing to do with winning the battle at Igros or the fact that Dycedarg is a self-righteous asshole who ended up destroying the Beoulve family.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

philsov

January 04, 2009, 06:58:23 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteThere's no such thing as "Dycedarg's Elder Brother".

You are NO fun.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Zalge

January 04, 2009, 07:08:50 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
wait a second... BULL HONKEY! Alma isn't older then Ramza, and therefore there is NO mistranslation in Ramza being the youngest of four brothers. If it was mistranslated from siblings, then it would be untrue, as Alma is the youngest. Therefore there had to be another brother. Whether he is older then Zalbag or Dycedarg remains to be seen, but thats proof there was another brother.

The Damned

January 04, 2009, 07:21:04 pm #8 Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:35:05 pm by The Damned

Alma is a year younger than Ramza, yes, but the entries themselves are littered with weird/incorrect grammar.

Regardless, neither entry says anything about him being the youngest of four brothers--Ramza's doesn't even say any number siblings. This is shown rather clearly even in the marred translation we got in that History archive that apparently almost no one ever used on a regular basis:

Quote=========
Chapter 4
=========

Ramza Beoulve Age: 18
-------------
Youngest of the respected Beoulve family. He fights his
brothers, finding out that they are engaging a war for their
own well-being. Finds out about the greed by the Church of
Glabados and about Lucavi using the Church. He fights for
justice of others.

Alma Beoulve Age: 17
------------
Youngest of four of the Beoulve family. Attends the
Aristocratic School in Igros. Your younger sister. Came from a
different mother than the second brother. With her cheerful
personality, she is well like by everyone. Spending most of
her life in a convent, she has recently returned to the
Beoulve family. Alma is closer to you, as you are closer in
age than her brothers.

I'll give you that the first sentence of each entry kind of belie each other, but outside of that likely being a mistranslation as well, it's possible to just say that it was meant that he was the youngest brother and/or that Alma doesn't really count as Beoulve because she doesn't have a penis/isn't a warrior/is also a bastard chlid like Ramza (and while we see a scene where Balbanes urges the other two accept Ramza, we don't see a similar one for Alma in-game).

(Yes, I am implying that Agrias and Meliadoul are hermaphrodites. What of it?)

Again, the only Dycedarg's Elder Brother to exist is the one that Zozma created.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Vanya

January 04, 2009, 07:28:52 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Yeah, It was some such retarded, crack-whore, translator wording issue. +A specific mistranslation I couldn't recall at the time. +I wasn't paraphrasing, much less quoting anything. +I think you get the idea. +I like writing pluses. +There's one more for ya. ^_^
¯\(°_0)/¯

Samuraiblackbelt

January 04, 2009, 09:37:43 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
I don't think "defeat dycedarg's elder brother" is so much a translation mistake,as it is taking the japanese wording too literally
the japanese grammar could just be different fom american,and the translators took the japanese grammar as american

The Damned

January 04, 2009, 09:45:56 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
It would have to be a translation mistake unless original Japanese FFT has the particle "no" somewhere to denote possession. I suppose it's possible considering the way that "elder" looks in my Japanese dictionary right now, but considering that "elder brother" is one word in Japanese, I don't really see why they would do that.

Then again, this game is far from polished, so it's possible that this was another mistake that just got carried over along with everything else.

That said, the straight answer to your question is that Dycedarg's Elder Brother doesn't exist in game and is just some type of (infamous) mistake.

Samuraiblackbelt

January 04, 2009, 09:54:08 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
thankyou