• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Having trouble with srpite editer keep getting an error

Started by Furry_Fan, December 21, 2008, 06:45:57 am

Furry_Fan

December 21, 2008, 06:45:57 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Furry_Fan
Ok, I am having trouble with sprite editor I have figured mostly it all out but when I attempt to import sprite sheets from bmps I have of sprites I get an error but when I try to import spr. files they work perfect I don't know if anyone can tell me what this error means or how to get around it.  the sprite sheets seem to be assembled perfectly and  I have tried both the old shishi sprite editor and the new one but they get the same error when I try to import bmp.  I also tried to rename bmp to spr manually to see if it could get around it and yes it did not give me the error but when it loaded up the sprites were all messed up multicolor blocks.

here is the error I keep getting if anyone can help me with this.

Zozma

December 21, 2008, 08:53:08 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
k, first there is a Q&A section to ask questions....

ill go ahead and answer it here tho. if you are using the new shishi the sprite icons wont look the right colors, but when you view an individual sheet they are fine.
----------------
you might also be trying to import bmp files that use more than the first 16 colors. youll always get errors if you do this. so.......
----------------
You could make a second copy of the bmp you're working on.

Save it as a 16 color bmp with the colors you want.

Then if you need to paste anything into the sprite, paste it into the 16 color sprite sheet and it will automatically assume the 16 colors.

After all editing is finished, copy/paste the 16 color sprite sheet over the normal 256 color one so that you can import it back into shishi.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Furry_Fan

December 21, 2008, 09:29:03 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Furry_Fan
Ok sorry I will remember to post further question in the q and a.  I appreciate the help and I will try what you say.

Kyousukeee

December 21, 2008, 10:03:55 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kyousukeee
The answer =
You are trying to import a .BMP smaller or greater than 123kb .
If you edited the image in Photoshop , it'll probably save it in 122kb ( found out while using PS ). The size of your edit must be the same as the one you extract , if it isn't you wont be able to upload the edited .BMP ;D

Furry_Fan

December 21, 2008, 10:28:32 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Furry_Fan
Ah I have finally gotten around that after several hours but now the problem im faced with is the portrait is always messed up as I am using one of those japanese sprite sheets they apparently have the original portrait of the original character  with there custom sprites and there custom portrait witch is more then likely used for the world view in a separate bmp and I want that portrait to be in the battle sprite sheet as well but its frustrating because no matter what I try or do the portrait ends up being messed up some how I have tried editing it so many times im beginning to fall asleep I tried pasting over it with just the normal world view portrait without doing anything to it but it makes it look glitchy.  I notice that the sprite portrait when you extract sprite and palettes is messed up as in a whitish black and reddish face.  I figure that is what i need to make the world view face from the other bmp to look like if its going to work correctly in the battle sprite sheet and I just don't know how to do it at all even though I have tried for the past few hours.  I have read about every tutorial I could find and looked through almost every post but I just don't understand how or what to do when it comes to the portrait.  It wont work correctly if I just have its regular colors in the sheet imported in and no matter what I look for I don't know how I could convert it to make it look like an extracted shi shi portrait or even if this would solve it at all.

CidIII

December 21, 2008, 11:00:08 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
You need to get the Japanese program that assembles the parts into one .SPR file and reconvert it back with Shishi.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

Furry_Fan

December 21, 2008, 11:52:19 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Furry_Fan
Oh, how would I find that? I cannot speak Japanese.. is there a link you can give me to it ?  If not I suppose I will hunt for it I appreciate all the help you are giving me I  don't like to be annoying but this stuff is all new to me.

CidIII

December 22, 2008, 12:04:01 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
I have the program I don't know where I downloaded it though. You also need a palette file.

You could always resemble it in gimp yourself or something but you need to line things up perfectly, and you need to rearrange the palette.

It's hard work stealing Japanese sprites :(
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

Furry_Fan

December 22, 2008, 12:17:48 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Furry_Fan
lame well I need that program I guess do you even know what it is called? I am not skilled enough to align stuff perfectly and am not good at using any kind of paint software at all yet.  I can probably make pal files someway I did it with the main portrait with one of the Japanese programs that lets you inject sprites and portraits into the unit.bin etc but I could really use something that arranges the bmp into spr itd make my life easy .

Kyousukeee

December 22, 2008, 07:05:51 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kyousukeee
Check this section and download fftevgrp.

http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=407&highlight=fftevgrp

Let me explain how it works

Open the program
Click the ???(F)  - "File command" then select unit.bin or wldface.bin

You can get those files using CDmage , extract it from the FFT iso.

There'll be commands below

1 Export as BMP   2 Import BMP     5 ????
3 Export as PAl     4 Import Pal      6 ????

Don't forget to import the unit.bin and wldface.bin back to the iso using CDmage

Use graphics gale to edit your images. just search the net for it.

Furry_Fan

December 22, 2008, 08:00:45 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Furry_Fan
I have that program and I know how to edit worldface and unit bin the problem I am having is that the battle sprites portrait is messed up Zozoma helped me so that I could import the sprites and have them work correctly but the thing is the sprite sheet with the custom sprites has the original job class portrait with the custom sprites and I wish to use there custom portrait with the sprite sheet but it is in a completely different bmp and I don't know how to basically paste it or replace it over the one with the custom sprites and make it work I have come very close and have almost gotten it to work where its able to be told what it is but its still terrible looking and has black dots on it.  I have been trying to figure this out for a few days now and have tried every program and editor I could get my hands on but just don't know what to do. this should illustrate the simple thing I want to do its just I cannot get it to work at all.

I need to figure out how to do this as most Japanese sprite sheets i have seen have the original FFT portrait of the chra class mon w/e and have there custom portrait in a separate bmp all normal looking.  I just need to know how to fix the portrait so when I import it looks like the one on the left in game.  As I said before I think i need to make it look like the messed up color one on the right but I don't know how to get it like that. by conventional means as I have imported it all messed up and the sprite manager converted it to that color scheme and I prnt screened it and cut it out because iti was the only way i knew how to get that portrait in that black white and red color scheme and when imported it looks the "best" but still looks severely deformed with black dots all over it and such.  so that's basically my problem I am having when i import the portrait into the wordface and the sprite into unit bin they work perfectly likewise the battle sprites work thanks to what zozma said but the battle portrait is a complete mystery to me and no matter what I do it always comes out messed up somehow.

CidIII

December 22, 2008, 08:04:21 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
The program does it for you, I think that was the wrong program he linked.

Heres the one I'm talking about:

Its FFTSPRW.exe

Furry_Fan

December 22, 2008, 09:40:49 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Furry_Fan
Yes, thank you that is EXACTLY what i needed it was confusing at first but it is really very simple in comparison to what I was doing I truly appreciate you're help I can finally relax now truly thank you.

taylor

December 28, 2008, 05:23:03 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by taylor
Quote from: "Kyousukeee"The answer =
You are trying to import a .BMP smaller or greater than 123kb .
If you edited the image in Photoshop , it'll probably save it in 122kb ( found out while using PS ). The size of your edit must be the same as the one you extract , if it isn't you wont be able to upload the edited .BMP ;D

Is this avoidable using photoshop? It's doing it to me, and as expected it is crashing when I try to import. Is there an alternate program I should be using instead, or a way to fix it? Saving using a different program (MSPaint) doesn't seem to work.

Okay, I figured it out. If you open it up in GraphicsGale and then save the file again (so open, save) it fixes the file size and allows for importing.