• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Is there another mod for FFTA where you can have playable monster units?

Started by Baitlinesinker, December 16, 2019, 07:54:16 am

Baitlinesinker

Recently played a romhack called Advanced Battle which has a lot of improvements ( Monstersss don't go extinct, capturable monsters, better skill learning system, etc.), but it has a critical flaw. You are stripped of your first 4 party members and can only capture Monsters instead of randomly getting units.

You can't have normal recruits. So no Bangaas, no Vieras, Nu Mous, and no Moogles either. You are stuck with both March and Montblanc for the rest of the game.
I like the hack but it's lacking the class variety that was present in the original with how you could change your characters classes and all the exclusive race classes. Sure you have the monsters taking the place of those classes, but the monsters have a disadvantage of not being able to put on any form of equipment. I want to be able to have all of these units and more (maybe even have a higher clan member limit too). And have proper progression for when you get these monsters in your party.

Is this asking too much? Yeah, it is. Asking for a romhack that includes all of this along with the improved skill leveling system maybe might be too much, but I want the classic experience that I enjoyed in Tactics Advance.

also some cutscenes don't make sense when you're just March and Montblanc since you can clearly see the other party members who were cut in Advanced Battle
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Baitlinesinker

Leonarth

The source for the ability learning (along with pretty much every single engine hack I have done for FFTA so far) is on github, the source for the monster taming is private though, because I didn't want a flood of monster taming hacks to appear: https://github.com/LeonarthCG/FFTA_Engine_Hacks

Quotebut it has a critical flaw. You are stripped of your first 4 party members and can only capture Monsters instead of randomly getting units.

It's not a "critical flaw"... It was done on purpose to force the player to use monsters.
Remember that this was an april fools hack.

Quote(maybe even have a higher clan member limit too)

That's a very hard thing to do.
You would need to find a place in ram to put all these new units in, find a place on the save to store them and change all routines related to listing your clan members, as well as making a completely new routine to display the units on the menu. I think it's not worth the effort at all.

Quotealso some cutscenes don't make sense

Currently there is no hack with edited scenes, there's barely any documentation on event editing and it takes a lot of work to make a scene.
Also, like I said before, I just made the hack for april fools. I only worked on it for about 2 days.

Quotewhich has a lot of improvements ( Monstersss don't go extinct

I don't think I did that... I don't remember changing any of the engagement layouts. It was a while ago though so I might just not remember.

QuoteIs this asking too much? Yeah, it is. Asking for a romhack that includes all of this along with the improved skill leveling system maybe might be too much, but I want the classic experience that I enjoyed in Tactics Advance.

Not removing random recruitments, job requirements for dispatch missions, etc. would have actually been way easier than what I did for Advanced Battle, what you are asking for actually takes less effort than what I made so it's not really "asking too much", it's just isn't what I wanted to make.

Baitlinesinker

Quote from: Leonarth on December 16, 2019, 05:46:02 pm
The source for the ability learning (along with pretty much every single engine hack I have done for FFTA so far) is on github, the source for the monster taming is private though, because I didn't want a flood of monster taming hacks to appear: https://github.com/LeonarthCG/FFTA_Engine_Hacks
It's not a "critical flaw"... It was done on purpose to force the player to use monsters.
Remember that this was an april fools hack.
That's a very hard thing to do.
You would need to find a place in ram to put all these new units in, find a place on the save to store them and change all routines related to listing your clan members, as well as making a completely new routine to display the units on the menu. I think it's not worth the effort at all.
Currently there is no hack with edited scenes, there's barely any documentation on event editing and it takes a lot of work to make a scene.
Also, like I said before, I just made the hack for april fools. I only worked on it for about 2 days.
I don't think I did that... I don't remember changing any of the engagement layouts. It was a while ago though so I might just not remember.
Not removing random recruitments, job requirements for dispatch missions, etc. would have actually been way easier than what I did for Advanced Battle, what you are asking for actually takes less effort than what I made so it's not really "asking too much", it's just isn't what I wanted to make.

Oh god I never thought you would be the one to reply on my thread.
Yeah I think I was over exaggerating with the "Critical Flaw". But I thought the mod was gonna be similar to the original FFT. I never realized that that was the joke.

I sort of figured that a higher clan member limit would be difficult considering none of the mods I've seen here can do much about it.

I don't know much about modding so I thought it would have been difficult to do the monster taming thing. And now that I know that the monster hunting code source is private it seems it would have been more difficult to replicate for another person.

I do wish that you have some sort hack for a regular FFTA with monster capturing as a side, but I'm sure your busy working on your own hack's progress.

Thanks for replying though!

Leonarth

I have plans for more polished monster taming mechanics in the future (which would be made public), which is mainly why I didn't want people using the half-baked one that I made for Advanced Battle, I just have been busy with life lately.

The main change I want to make is being able to take monsters out of the bank, and being able to send them back in, but I also want to add monster breeding, as well as changing how feeding works (it wouldn't make much sense to get a monster with maxed stats you can just add to your party).

I also want poaching but I wouldn't really work too well for vanilla, still it can be added so it can be combined with other future engine hacks.

Baitlinesinker

Alright then. take your time then and try not to burn yourself out.