• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 30, 2020, 07:06:54 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen/RetroArch is recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

My progress in FFTA hacking [Map, Events and Text editing] [Engine Hacks]

Started by Leonarth, July 16, 2018, 12:14:58 am

Leonarth

Just to be clear, you don't need to include anything, everything is already included.
You don't need to uncomment anything outside of the main file either.

Some things are not installed but that's not because the hacks themselves are commented out or not included, rather the definitions that are checked for installing them are what's commented out, you should only uncomment those (in rom buildfile, the main file) and not the hacks themselves (which wouldn't be commented to begin with) if you just want to install them.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Blunderpusse

I have a question about importing custom sprites. Through the EA and instructions you provided, you can import new battle sprites into free space in the ROM file, correct? Is there any way to import them and overwrite existing sprites? For example, imagine I want to overwrite the Viera Red Mage sprite with a Viera Green Mage. Can I do that?
"You sure are a keen observer of the obvious, kupo!"

Leonarth

You don't want to import the new graphics over the old graphics, and you can't, because the animation template graphics are bigger than the vanilla animations.

What you can do is simply make the game not use the old animation. Open the animation template and change the TEMPLATEID definition to the ID of the animation you want to replace. For example, if you wanted to replace the Soldier you would set the ID of the template to 0x00 and the ID of the water template to 0xBC.

It will work exactly the same as if you were using a new ID.

Alternatively, you can insert the animation with a new ID and change the ID of the battle sprite for the class. It really makes no difference, the space used is the same, you can't save space by replacing the old graphics or anything  like that.

Blunderpusse

Thanks for the answer. I have another question regarding sprites, though. So, you have those semi-secret characters (Littlevili, Quin, etc.). Imagine I want to give them their own sprites. How do I make them NOT change sprites when changing jobs?
"You sure are a keen observer of the obvious, kupo!"