• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

July 05, 2020, 03:43:43 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen/RetroArch is recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

ASM Requests

Started by The Damned, October 29, 2014, 09:16:45 pm

Elric

Request: ASM to bring the original Zodiac Calendar over to the NTSC-U version, from the Japanese and PSP versions of the game

As some of you already know, I'm working on a WotL version of FFT - The Lion War. This will add more content, such as the rendezvous missions, as well as the WotL translation of the game. I've covered quite a bit already that never made it into FFT: Complete, due to when it was created and what we had available at the time.

However one thing we still haven't gotten working yet is the proper Zodiac calendar as displayed here:

This was most commonly seen in English format, on the PSP version of the game, however this data is also from the Japanese version of the PS1 game.

There are a few pieces to this puzzle, the former being less important than the latter.

1. The Japanese PS1 game, and the PSP game, both show the Solar and Zodiac Calendar dates when selecting your birthday, where as the English PS1 version does not. As seen below:
vs
As we can see here. Line 1 is January 1st for both the Japanese and English release of the game, but the Japanese release also shows that January 1, is Capricorn 10, on the Zodiac calendar.

So ideally, we would have the same thing here. I can tell you, thanks to Glain that the date data for this in the English version is located at 0xCF33 in OPEN.BIN, but I've been able to find the same data in another location in the Japanese version of the game's OPEN.BIN. and the portion with the second box does not seem to be controlled here...

This part is not 100% essential, as long as even via the solar calendar, the world map displays correctly and compat is unaffected.

2. The most important part. The onscreen display for the date on the world map. In the PS1 English version of the game, you start on January 1st. In the Japanese version and the PSP version of the game, you start on Aries 1, which is actually March 21st. The days would need to be the correct amount of days as well...

As far as I can find, i see no differences in the data for these between the Japanese and English versions of the game. However, while I do a lot around here, ASM is not, and likely never will be something I know much about, due to time constraints and the projects I'm working on...  Also, thanks to Glain, we know that the world map date location is 569CE in SCUS.

If someone find the time to figure out this mess and possibly even bring over the routines used for this from the Japanese or PSP version of the game, I would be eternally grateful.

If this request is at all unclear, please PM me or contact me on our discord channel for clarification, as I'm well aware that articulating my thoughts and requests is not always my strongest attribute.

I do have a modified version of the town names thanks to some help from one of Xifanie's sheets, as well as some of the old image from FFT: Complete. I've personally also added the Zodiac names to this to replace the months, which I'm fairly certain I can work out with some other locations that Glain supplied us with. But getting it working as intended is paramount to even worrying about the images/month names themselves.

From what I can gather, all the info for the Zodiac calendar is still in the English version, I'm just not sure how they call that on the world map, instead of the Solar calendar like we have in the English version

Thank you for your time.
  • Modding version: PSX
<@Angel> Teach a man to fish and he'll open up a fishery to compete against yours.

Journey of the Five Youtube ChannelThe Lion War Current Status

Jot5 Leader :: Eventer :: OtherTLW Leader :: Eventer :: Other