• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 01, 2024, 03:23:26 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Maps

Started by Xifanie, September 29, 2007, 10:23:24 am

Zozma

November 16, 2008, 01:31:21 am #200 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
wow this is getting exciting
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Cheetah

November 16, 2008, 03:12:24 am #201 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Oh my god Gomtuu SOOOO FUCKING AWESOME! Seriously I am at work at midnight right now and I'm freaking out about that texture editor. FUCK YEAH!

Okay, okay I'm breathing again phew. So this will be totally huge if you get this working. Do you think you will also be able to add a feature to change what textures are used in a certain area? Might just make it easier to do like change the amount of rock or grass in a level among other things.

Well if there is anyway I can help out with this project through testing or whatever I would totally jump at the chance. Not to mention I would love to play around with these toys for a bit and come up with some sweet texture edits :D.

PS: I don't know if this helps but Graphics Gale does a real good job of making palettes really editable, but still having the structured correctly. So that you could just export this image as a BMP with the palettes organized in the same manner, then you could edit it in Graphics Gale while keeping the organization of the palettes intact for easy import. Not sure if that helps or not, but you should check it out. I use a similar system for getting all the different palettes to work with sprites.
Current Projects:

gomtuu

November 16, 2008, 09:59:19 am #202 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Cheetah"Do you think you will also be able to add a feature to change what textures are used in a certain area? Might just make it easier to do like change the amount of rock or grass in a level among other things.
Are you asking whether I can make it edit the UV coordinates? It's possible, but I don't know how I'd make the user interface for something like that. For now, it won't be able to do that. :(

Quote from: "Cheetah"Graphics Gale does a real good job of making palettes really editable, but still having them structured correctly.
That might help a lot, actually. A problem I've run into is that the palettes themselves have alpha data in them. That is, each color in the palette has an alpha bit, so any number of colors can be transparent. Naturally, I can't just combine them all into a single transparent color, because that would discard some of the colors in the image, so I want to be able to preserve the alpha data in the palette. No common image format or image editor supports that, AFAIK. Does Graphics Gale support palettes with alpha data? If so, does it allow you to load a regular image (which would be 16 shades of gray) and then load a separate file that's just a palette with alpha data, edit the image, then save it in grayscale with a separate palette file?

If we can't find a file format or image editor that allows that sort of thing, then I'm afraid you're going to have to edit the texture image in grayscale (no palettes applied), or at least without alpha information. (Transparent colors would become black (or maybe magenta or something) when you exported the image, and then after you re-imported them, you'd have to set the alpha bit for each color that needs to be transparent.)

gomtuu

November 16, 2008, 01:53:42 pm #203 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Funny, I don't remember that being there...

Cheetah

November 16, 2008, 02:07:45 pm #204 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Haha Sweet.

Oh I know very little about alpha levels in Graphics Gale. If it doesn't support it though, maybe you should just have the interface for editing the alpha levels as part of the palette viewer. Good graphics editing tools aren't something you want to implement into your map viewer/editor, but just changing the alpha levels of the colors is pretty straight forward, and in most cases probably wont even need to be touched, correct? That seems like the simplest solution to me.

Oh you know how I get a little ahead of myself when it comes to this map editor. When you were talking about having it show what sections of the textures the palette uses, I thought you were also showing on the map where each palette/texture was being used. Which my ecstatic brain translated into, "change textures all over the map". But yeah the more features you add the more complicated the interface.
Current Projects:

Xifanie

November 16, 2008, 07:54:33 pm #205 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
epic

Changing the textures definitely won't be much trouble but repositioning those textures on the map but be a lot of work. :/

I still want to see this editor done though,  I'm all for moar editing! :O
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Zozma

November 16, 2008, 08:10:20 pm #206 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
so this also will mean being able to make places like lesalia mainstreet, able to be used in battles by fixing all the wall issues?

DarthPaul

November 16, 2008, 08:42:18 pm #207 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "gomtuu"Funny, I don't remember that being there...

That made me giggle like girl man.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

gomtuu

November 16, 2008, 10:16:41 pm #208 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Zozma"so this also will mean being able to make places like lesalia mainstreet, able to be used in battles by fixing all the wall issues?
:( Nope, I don't think so. From what I can tell, maps 97, 98, and 99 don't even have polygons for the sides of the buildings that weren't meant to be viewed.

DarthPaul

November 16, 2008, 10:34:41 pm #209 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Could the polygons be created though.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Zozma

November 16, 2008, 10:46:22 pm #210 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
awww... those maps would be so nice to use hehe...

karsten

November 17, 2008, 05:04:26 am #211 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
kudos to goomtuu's great work.

Archael

November 19, 2008, 02:07:39 pm #212 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
MOAR EDITING!

gomtuu

November 19, 2008, 09:29:22 pm #213 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Voldemort7"MOAR EDITING!
Wish granted!

This release includes the ability to export textures as PNG files and then re-import them (presumably after you edit them). For the import to work, the PNG has to be in the same format as the exported file: 8-bit with a 16-color palette. For now, the actual color values in the imported PNG's palette are ignored, meaning you can't change the PNG's palette and expect the map's colors to change when you import the PNG. Also, although you can click on colors in the palette grid and move the sliders around, map2gl's built-in palette editor doesn't actually do anything yet. That's coming later.

See the included README file for other changes, installation instructions, and system requirements.

map2gl 0.19 binary version (32-bit Windows) (6.9MB)
map2gl 0.19 source version (Cross-platform) (35KB)

The Windows binary has been tested on exactly one computer, so hopefully it works for everyone.

The source version has been tested in Windows XP on two computers and in Ubuntu 8.10 on one. It should also work in OSX, but I haven't tested it. Note that to get the source version to work, you need to install Python and some libraries. See the installation instructions in the README file for details.

Enjoy! And let me know if you have any questions.

Zozma

November 19, 2008, 09:34:33 pm #214 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
sweet! cant wait to test this!

Cheetah

November 20, 2008, 03:26:54 am #215 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Exciting! Exciting!
Current Projects:

Zozma

November 20, 2008, 10:03:30 am #216 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
ohhhh

that thing again where it just shut down as soon as i start..

gomtuu

November 20, 2008, 10:53:54 am #217 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Zozma"ohhhh

that thing again where it just shut down as soon as i start..

:(

Do you know if your video card supports OpenGL 2.0? Anything made in the last 3-4 years should support it, I think. You can use OpenGL Extensions Viewer (Windows or Mac OSX) to check. Install it, then click "Rendering tests," then the play button, and it'll test whether your video card supports each OpenGL version from 1.1 through 2.1.

You might also want to make sure your video driver is up to date.

Hope this helps!

Zozma

November 20, 2008, 10:59:10 am #218 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah the funny thing is i had managed to get the older version to work before when you could just view stuff... lol

ohhh... 1.4 thats the version i have? really? wtf

lol crap

...2.0:
ARB_shader_objects not supported.
...2.1:
ARB_pixel_buffer_object not supported.

guess theres nothing i can do. thank you for figuring out my problem.

gomtuu

November 20, 2008, 11:35:46 am #219 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Quote from: "Zozma"yeah the funny thing is i had managed to get the older version to work before when you could just view stuff...
Yeah, I've made some changes since then (added shaders) that increase the OpenGL version required... The goal was to make maps load a little faster (and consume less video RAM) and to increase the accuracy of the lighting. It also simplified the code a little.

If you haven't tried upgrading your video driver yet, that might work. Or you could try running it on a computer with a newer video card, if you have access to one.

If there's enough demand, I guess I could go back to the old, non-shader way of doing things.