• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

June 02, 2024, 01:03:00 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

New spells...

Started by Zozma, January 21, 2008, 09:59:07 pm

Vanya

September 03, 2008, 10:15:35 pm #240 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
possibly.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

September 03, 2008, 11:35:43 pm #241 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
it MUST sound like WINDDDDDDDD!!!!
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Vanya

September 04, 2008, 12:24:23 am #242 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Doesn't it? I hadn't noticed. Well you could always try randomly corrupting the data. Hint: it is definitely not in the palette or image data. That narrows your search to like only 15% of the file at the beginning. =)
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

September 04, 2008, 06:55:36 am #243 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah the sound of FT is kinda kreepy but its not really a windy sound

Zozma

September 04, 2008, 07:59:37 am #244 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
vanya i did it but using a different method

windhex32 has a great feature, a tile editor! built in...

you can see the shapes thus know what to remove and erase it right there on the spot. and it worked... but the tornado is blue... now what? lol

btw there seems to be an additional problem. the funnel and the limit break seem to be made of same stuff.... perhaps finding the red color palette adn changing it to 0 would do the trick tho

Edit: Okay so even tho there is grayscale and i cant find the shades of blue, if you change the grayscale to just green..... this also writes over the red funnel too... this also means the mist might get in the way too.. perhaps it should be removed as well? note that this is raw green as a test it could be softened a little... also it appears that in this case.. unless i can find out the colors that cover the greyscale... it will be more of a matter of the programming to remove the limit funnel... and one last thing, i dont think affected the tint of the screen

Zozma

September 04, 2008, 09:14:12 am #245 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
double post in order to make the files available

LastingDawn

September 04, 2008, 12:01:51 pm #246 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Glorious! That looks positively fantastic Zozma! The effect does actually look better without the Ice... who would have guessed?
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Zozma

September 04, 2008, 03:51:49 pm #247 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
id love to be able to find the true source of the blue that colors the funnel over the greyscale as it would look significantly better i think...

another thought i had was copy/pasting a couple of those leaves from silf's effect file where the ice shards used to be.. hmm? what u think?

Vanya

September 04, 2008, 10:10:20 pm #248 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
As long as the leaves are in the right spot they should work just fine. That is as long as they aren't too bog either.

Thanks for the tip about WindHex32. I had no idea these file would be compatible with it's hex editor! =)

Good job on those edit so far. That tinting is definitely part of the animation code. but I believe if you change the grey scale palettes to a color that it overrides the tinting on the bitmaps.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

September 04, 2008, 10:30:35 pm #249 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
yeah, i recolored the greyscale green and the screenshots are the result.. the only thing is, see how the little mist clouds look almost solid green? instead of whitish and the green on the edges like the blue is.. hmmm

at any rate, other than the fact that i dont know how to remove the limit break funnel without damaging the tornado, im quite satisfied with how it looks. sound changing i guess would be another step.

(i also did a test on one of the summons with the windhex and successfully removed silf from her spell on the first try)

okay so this is where i recommend "Tile Layer Pro" which will not display hex, but it will let you see the images AND copy/cut/paste entire sections. why use this when windhex will let you erase stuff? well tlp is definately faster AND you can have more than one file open for edit at once meaning i can copy those leaves from silf and paste them over the ice shards in no time at all :D

you can find tlp at zophar's domain? was that the name? zophar.net?
probably in the snes sprite edit section

Vanya

September 05, 2008, 07:30:02 am #250 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Google'ing ''Zophar's Domain'' will bring it up first on the list.

The first thing I tried after your post was tlp. what settings did you use?
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

September 05, 2008, 07:39:30 am #251 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
the default setting where everything is just one shade of green.

zoom all the way out and expand the image vertically as far down as it will let you. you are able to adjust the size horizontally too, and for different pictures you might need to in order to make the image take shape.

so just a little more to share, i removed salamander from his effect file and it makes a pretty sweet stand alone fire spell. silf actually looks ok without the picture but i suppose that one isnt perfect. i removed the symbol from Hydragon Pit Back and Space storage Back and the earth one too..

Hydragon is perfect for another water spell, Space storage is perfect for a gravity spell (IMO) and the earth one..? well i was hoping to come up with a level 2 earth effect.. but without the symbol its even less impressive than carve model and local quake... and even tho we are the shortest on good earth spells, i didn't try out titan yet to see if it looks alright. the thing is that and quake both appear as such ultimate spells of earth that it would be too much to make either of them anything less than a lvl4 spell IMO

the next step? putting new pictures in, it will be easy to copy/paste from one effect to another but will it be so easy to add something totally new? the color palettes come to mind as i present that question.

Vanya

September 05, 2008, 08:29:26 pm #252 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Cool! Thanks!

I was thinking of Mimic Titan with an edited palette, but the targetting script is centered on the caster. If I find anything useful, I'll let you know.

As for all new graphics the easiest thing would be to be able to turn a bmp into a raw binary image and then copy the data to the effect. But I don't know how difficult that would be or if there is a prog that can do that.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

September 05, 2008, 08:37:48 pm #253 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
okay vanya, i REALLY want mimic titan to be the third level quake spell....  there must be some coding in effects that prevent it from moving away from the caster, just like some effects dont repeat (like fire1, 2,3) and are instead like (example: shadow stitch, even if you give it effect area 1 it will only display te effect once)

oh btw, with snes pal you can find the color palette, but im sure you've noticed by now that it displays the address that the color is located at right? we could probably poke around there to see about other spell instructions...

Zozma

September 13, 2008, 05:26:18 am #254 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
craaap, can this Aeroja spell fit into anything besides finish touch..... please tell me there is a compatible slot....

Edit: Attached is a video of my first attempt at transferring an image from one effect file to another. I call this a mega charm spell since the effect is able to spread over more than one panel unlike Allure, Maidens Kiss and Steal Heart.

also attached is the effect. Please note that its host effect was "Hydragon Pit Back" and so it may sound a bit like water lol... and obviously there was a palette change too :P

http://i140.photobucket.com/player.swf? ... 2-test.flv

Vanya

September 13, 2008, 10:28:34 am #255 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Pretty cool! I'm going to be doing something similar with those spells. I need some for the Monk who will have new Chakra abilities based on the 7 traditional chakras. Not to mention that I'll also need a new silence and curse spell too. =)
¯\(°_0)/¯

Vanya

September 26, 2008, 12:16:57 pm #256 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Found a somewhat easier way to make more complicated edits to these things.

Here goes:

Going by the descriptions of the effect file formats at the FFT Investigative project site I was able to find and extract the image data for Wish.

Then I made a 128x256 pixel, 256-color bitmap image in NeoPaint.

Next I took the bitmap, opened it in Translhextion, and pasted the image data from E161.BIN into it's image data area.

When I opened the bitmap in NeoPaint I found that the effect image was plainly visible down to the pixel.

The only problems are that because of the bitmap format the image comes out flipped on it's horizontal axis and the palette has to be reformatted or recreated.

The important thing here is that once a decent palette is in place we can flip the image over, make complex changes, flip it back, and then copy the raw image data back into the BIN file.

The palette format thing is the biggest hassle. I'll look for a program that can convert palette formats.

I'll post a more detailed tutorial if there's any interest.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Cheetah

September 26, 2008, 12:34:03 pm #257 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I would be interested in hearing more.
Current Projects:

Vanya

September 26, 2008, 02:28:53 pm #258 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Damn. It worked, but it didn't...

I made the changes, but when it saved in the bitmap it drastically altered the values. There's something wrong with the way it maps the raw data back to the file. I'm guessing it has to do with the fat that the PSX uses 16-bit colors and Windows bitmap palettes are set up as 24-bit color when using a 256 color palette.

However, the basic principle works. Copy the raw image data over to the bitmap template, flip it, make changes, flip back, save, copy raw data back to effect file. I think the problem can be averted if I could somehow get an image editor that can save in true 16-bit color.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Cheetah

September 26, 2008, 03:00:16 pm #259 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Graphics Gale?
Current Projects: